Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:21:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Anyone fishing PC area Sunday, 8/19 or Monday?  (Read 1607 times)

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I'm heading for the beach early Sunday (assuming the wind forecast remains favorable), and would love to connect with any kayakers planning to fish in the Pacific City area. Trolling for salmon is my plan, bottom fishing is a possibility. :-)

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I'm watching the Sunday forecast as well.  Wind and waves may be a factor, but depending on how Saturday actually looks, Sunday may be the better day.

Depoe Bay is the back up plan.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

WestFork

• Herring
I'm going to keep watching the forecast, Cosmo. Are you thinking Depoe Bay because of some shelter from northwest swells. north wind?

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I'm going to keep watching the forecast, Cosmo. Are you thinking Depoe Bay because of some shelter from northwest swells. north wind?

I believe he is using it as a backup plan because there is no surf launch.  PC's on a rough day can be tough on the landing.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • DADventurerNW
Zach is spot on.  I usually will watch the Pacific City Webcam  in the morning, a few days before fishing and compare it to what the swell, direction, periods, and wind forecast is on Magic Seaweed.  All of these factors can impact the "experience" you will have surf launching and landing.  Usually the corner is pretty protected, however, if it doesn't look favorable to my comfort level, I would opt for Depoe Bay.  No surf launch, and I can handle larger swells, provided they aren't coming in too quick in succession.

Also, all this week, except for today, PC has been fogged in most of the mornings, which is a no go for me.  Every time I launch, regardless of location, I always make sure I have the exact launch spot marked on my gps.  I learned that the hard way on day out of Depoe Bay when the fog came in and I was a mile from the hole.  I had the spot marked, but with the fog, I didn't believe the mark, until I was 30 yards from the tunnel.
Cosmo

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
The fog has been rough every day when looking at the webcam. If I can see a good ways I don't mind going. If it's only 30 yards then that's a no go. Lol needs to be a couple hundred.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

WestFork

• Herring
Thanks Zach, Cosmo! This is perfectly obvious...now that you have explained it to me and I've slapped my forehead one more time ...and muttered, "Duh!"  Fwiw, I try to make a habit of setting the launch location coordinates on both my FF and radio GPS (the backup). Then I don't really trust either.

Dungydog

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Ok, as a rookie here's how I'm interpreting the Magic Seaweed for Saturday (tomorrow) at PC between 6:00am-12:00noon.  Calm early with swells of 2-3ft, 4ft at 7 seconds.  Light winds until 9:00 which then go to 7-10mph, which will make it choppy.  So, going out there by 7 would be easy and calm, coming back around 12 would be a rough landing. 

How did I do?

-Craig
-Craig

2018 Hobie Outback 12
2017 Native Propel 10

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Ok, as a rookie here's how I'm interpreting the Magic Seaweed for Saturday (tomorrow) at PC between 6:00am-12:00noon.  Calm early with swells of 2-3ft, 4ft at 7 seconds.  Light winds until 9:00 which then go to 7-10mph, which will make it choppy.  So, going out there by 7 would be easy and calm, coming back around 12 would be a rough landing. 

How did I do?

-Craig

I'll be curious what others say but for me the landing at PC has much more to do with swell than wind. So the current forecast (attached) looks about the same to me for launch and a noon landing, with the landing getting sportier after noon.

EDIT: So to elaborate on that, with the primary swell and the secondary swell coming from the NW I think that the cape will afford a good degree of protection from the worst of it and I would feel comfortable launching and landing in those conditions.

HOWEVER everyone's skill set is different. A 3 foot surf is no joke depending on where it's breaking and your level of experience. The landing at PC dumped me already once this year because I was surprised how close the break got to shore (similar forecast as Saturday). That's not the end of the world if you're ready for it (which you should be) but if you're not it could be less than fun.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 01:53:33 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • DADventurerNW

How did I do?

-Craig

I'll be curious what others say but for me the landing at PC has much more to do with swell than wind. So the current forecast (attached) looks about the same to me for launch and a noon landing, with the landing getting sportier after noon.

EDIT: So to elaborate on that, with the primary swell and the secondary swell coming from the NW I think that the cape will afford a good degree of protection from the worst of it and I would feel comfortable launching and landing in those conditions.

HOWEVER everyone's skill set is different. A 3 foot surf is no joke depending on where it's breaking and your level of experience. The landing at PC dumped me already once this year because I was surprised how close the break got to shore (similar forecast as Saturday). That's not the end of the world if you're ready for it (which you should be) but if you're not it could be less than fun.

I agree with Lauren.  I like the direction of the swell, as it will be breaking across the beach, and away from the point, so the corner launch should be fairly protected.  Wind looks good too.  Similar forecast for Sunday.  However, one thing I'm not excited is the 7 second intervals of the swells.  Those will be coming in rapid succession on both entry and exit.  You will need to get in the water, ready to go, and watch the swells for a good 10 minutes to see what the pattern looks like, and when it's go time, go for it, and hug the corner on the way out.  A helmet is never a bad idea either.

I'd be looking at an early entry and early exit,  off the water by 10:30 or 11, as low tide is around noon.  I will be watching what Saturday looks like on the webcam to determine a go or no go for Sunday.
Cosmo

Big D

• Perch
  • If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I'm wanting to go to Pacific city tomorrow also.