Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Offshore charters "near" salem  (Read 2014 times)

rooster85

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Morning gents, I'm going to be visiting the Salem area in march and was really wanting to do a charter, I wont have the time to fool with renting a yak and I'm not interested in bringing any of my own tackle from Ohio. Is there a charter that you guys would recommend? Ill only have one day to fish as I'm booked for the rest of my trip with work. Thank you. 

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Your best bet is probably Dockside Charters out of Depoe Bay.  I haven't used them personally but they are a pretty big and well known outfit.  They just don't have the best of reputation with some of the kayakers on here...   ::)

I think there are a couple of charters in the Newport area too.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:44:22 AM by hdpwipmonkey »
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Your best bet is probably Dockside Charters out of Depoe Bay.  I haven't used them personally but they are a pretty big and well known outfit.  They just don't have the best of reputation with some of the kayakers on here...   ::)

Garibaldi charters is a little farther north. Can’t guarantee ocean kayak weather, but if I’m free I have an extra Native propel kayak and gear. I don’t fish alone so that’s an option. I’m sure other members would also offer the same.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:20:04 AM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I would also recommend dockside charters out of depot bay.  I personally like using the taklebuster like the captain and crew.  I’ve been fishing out of Depot Bay for 20 years.  Once a year I book a trip on the taklebuster with my non kayak fishing buddy’s and family’s and we fill the boat.
Dana
http://www.docksidedepoebay.com/
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

rooster85

• Plankton
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll be calling Dockside tomorrow to get some details figured out. I've received responses from four other charter captains today, they're all pretty similar.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The person who does the most deck hand work on offshore charters near that part of the coast is bb2fish.  Sadly, she ain't a "gent" and wasn't included in the gender you asked for information.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
No worries on the gender noun.

I don't know of any kayak fishing offshore charters that would set you up for your trip.  In March, the ocean has a possibility of either being a lion or a lamb.  Most likely a lion!  If conditions are good, and you want to get out on the ocean, your best bet is a 50' charter boat. Rockfish and lingcod charters can be arranged out of Newport and Depoe Bay, both close to Salem for a day trip.  Even last minute reservations are ok or a day or 2 in advance once you see the weather forecast. Do a little google work and type in ocean fishing charters Newport Oregon.  Or Depoe Bay. 

March is a good month for trying to catch a spring chinook if the ocean conditions are too big for kayaking.  Kayaking for salmon can be almost as much fun as ocean kayak fishing.

Is Michael Rischer (jammer on NWKA) still doing guided kayak fishing trips?  He's the guy I would contact about guided kayak fishing.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Just because dockside was indifferent or hostile to my presence and hit the throttle hard and waked me at the entrance to the hole doesn’t mean they don’t provide a good customer experience. It’s just a data point that could mean a number of things, only a couple of which would suggest that being a paying customer on that boat is a bad idea. It wouldn’t stop me from recommending them. I had a trip booked with them once a few years back but it was cancelled and refunded. They seemed pleasant enough.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
A dory trip is awesome, but a bit more $$ than a bigger depoe or newport boat, but far fewer people fishing and a very memorable experience.  The only guide I would recommend for dory fishing is Grant Rilette, a very cool and fishy dude.  He may be still chasing steelhead that time of year, but that’s a great late season option too if the ocean is too wild.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
A dory trip out of pacific city would be a truly unique Oregon ocean experience- it's one that few residents have even enjoyed.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
A dory trip out of pacific city would be a truly unique Oregon ocean experience- it's one that few residents have even enjoyed.

Barb speaks the truth. A day on a dory is going to be a little more expensive, but it's a much more unique and personalized experience. If I only had one day to fish out here there's no question I would go the dory route. If you want some recommendations shoot me a PM.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

rooster85

• Plankton
I really appreciate all the information, I'm not terribly worried about cost, I spent 20+ years on the ocean until I moved inland and I haven't been on the pacific in 3 years. I miss it.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I really appreciate all the information, I'm not terribly worried about cost, I spent 20+ years on the ocean until I moved inland and I haven't been on the pacific in 3 years. I miss it.

Go for the dory trip, then,   the launch from the beach and the personal interactions,  all things combined would be an incredible experience.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I would love to get on a Dory boat one day.  That would be my number one choice!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

lslaska

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Tradewinds there in Depoe Bay is another great chart group.   Been fishing 40 years with them, and dockside, although no so much the last couple years since I started Kayak fishing.  Still use them for long trips for halibut and tuna and when I go out with non kayak fishing friends.    Dustin on the Morning Star is a great Captain!   He works very hard to get his clients on the fish and as close to full boat limits as he can get.   

Pacific City Dorys are an awesome experience since you coming from Ohio, beach launch and landing is a kick in the butt. 

If you like crab, no matter where you go out of get add the crabbing package, they have upped the price to $20 at Tradewinds but still worth it if you bring home a few nice fat crabs.  I believe both Tradewinds and Dockside cook will clean and cook the crab for you at the dock, I know Tradewinds does.

Have a GREAT trip!!!
Lance