Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:27:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Stainless Steel Fish Stringers  (Read 4814 times)

Clay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2019
I was out with a guide in a Hobie 17T this week and this is what he used:  https://www.austinkayak.com/Large-Stainless-Fish-Hoop-Stringer-with-Flat-Top-Handle-16quot-X-75quot/ACK19597P.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scbplp19597_16735_1&sc_intid=19597_16735_1&msclkid=1b3a1b40f7f119af9fe647f06092a72b

I liked the squared carry handle - something to consider.
I used to use this one, but when you get too many big fish on it, the end can pull down and come undone.  I don't use it anymore.

Did you tie a rope to the square handle and put the hook in the water, or was it just directly hanging from the square handle on the kayak? 

You must catch bigger fish than I.  So what do you use now?
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I was out with a guide in a Hobie 17T this week and this is what he used:  https://www.austinkayak.com/Large-Stainless-Fish-Hoop-Stringer-with-Flat-Top-Handle-16quot-X-75quot/ACK19597P.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scbplp19597_16735_1&sc_intid=19597_16735_1&msclkid=1b3a1b40f7f119af9fe647f06092a72b

I used to use this one, but when you get too many big fish on it, the end can pull down and come undone.  I don't use it anymore.

Same. They are good for your bass, but throw a decent ling on it and they pop open.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Mine has a bend above where it goes into the catch, trailer and gear is in storage right now, but I have had 2 good size kings and the 7 big rockfish limits from the past on it and held it up just fine without it opening. I’ll see about posting pics if I remember next time I’m there.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Clay

• Herring

Mine has a bend above where it goes into the catch, trailer and gear is in storage right now, but I have had 2 good size kings and the 7 big rockfish limits from the past on it and held it up just fine without it opening. I’ll see about posting pics if I remember next time I’m there.

I'm thinking that it is like a cross lock snap in theory.  Do you remember where you bought this one.  Sounds like a good idea.

On a side note:  GET THAT BOAT OUT OF STORAGE!  THE FISH ARE BITING!
Many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish that they are after. Henry David Thoreau

Clay

• Herring

Did you tie a rope to the square handle and put the hook in the water, or was it just directly hanging from the square handle on the kayak? 

You must catch bigger fish than I.  So what do you use now?
Yes.  I attached a strap to the square handle and let the whole thing dangle in the water.  Now I've reverted to a $1 potato sack.

Dave

Dave, I'm kind of surprised it came open.  Especially if it was in the water all the way / tied off with a strap.  Maybe Mojo Jojo will give us both the answer for a good solution. 

Potato sack?  Really?  If it gets you where you want to go, then go for it man.  Sounds like you have more confidence in a potato sack than you do your previous SS Stringer.  Thanks for the words of wisdom and warning not to chince on SS stringer that will come open.   After all we spend on boats / gear and then to loose your catch because you didn't spend another $5 on a better product would have me bent for the day. 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

Same. They are good for your bass, but throw a decent ling on it and they pop open.

I have had that game clip since 2011 and I have never had it pop open with a decent ling...or two - plus a few rockfish.  They work great for big salmon too. ;)

« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 03:36:03 PM by craig »

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
When I fabbed up my own stringer, I saw where the commercially available ones could fail (open up on ya).  So, in my build, I gave the hook end a nice kink in it where it passes through the U bend lock.  I made the U bend out of the same diameter material as the main hoop, and I also adjusted the U bend lock to be snug to the point it has a positive lock down and gets tighter when pulled against. 

I had one person hold the loop, and I held the handle as we pulled as hard as we could to try and get it to separate.  Even with twisting it in opposite directions, it never budged.  You might be able to tighten up the grip of your U bend lock by carefully clamping it in some ViceGrips and rotating it back slightly.

Here are a few pics of my build.  I didn't get a picture (yet) of the silicon wrap I put on the handle section. It's basically the self-sticking silicon rescue tape used for sealing a leak in pipes.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
When I fabbed up my own stringer, I saw where the commercially available ones could fail (open up on ya).  So, in my build, I gave the hook end a nice kink in it where it passes through the U bend lock.  I made the U bend out of the same diameter material as the main hoop, and I also adjusted the U bend lock to be snug to the point it has a positive lock down and gets tighter when pulled against. 

I had one person hold the loop, and I held the handle as we pulled as hard as we could to try and get it to separate.  Even with twisting it in opposite directions, it never budged.  You might be able to tighten up the grip of your U bend lock by carefully clamping it in some ViceGrips and rotating it back slightly.

Here are a few pics of my build.  I didn't get a picture (yet) of the silicon wrap I put on the handle section. It's basically the self-sticking silicon rescue tape used for sealing a leak in pipes.
You should sell them.  No one else in the PNW seems to want to carry them. ;)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

That’s the same hump mine has. That I got from AKC.

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

You should sell them.  No one else in the PNW seems to want to carry them. ;)

I don't own the rights to the design, so I couldn't sell them. :-[

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Guppy Tamer

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
I have had that game clip since 2011 and I have never had it pop open with a decent ling...or two - plus a few rockfish.  They work great for big salmon too. ;)

Your clip looks to be quite a bit larger than mine. Maybe I just need to find a larger/heavier duty clip.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Mine has a black handle and looks to be smaller.  It actually does have a bend in the tip, but it still slides open too easily. 
I have a 2nd even smaller one without a D-handle.  It doesn't come open, but isn't very easy to handle.  The potato sack isn't left in the water.  I just dip it every once in a while or whenever I add another fish/crab.

Dave
That hump should be on the other side of the catch, try bending the big hoop in a little tighter so the point is closer to the box end.... that make sense?

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
If not....this might?

Shannon

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Mojo is on the right track with adjusting the hoop shape to force the point further south.
Once hoop is adjusted to put the point further south getting the hump over the crossbar, you will find that the U lock is going to be a bit sloppy.  At this point, you will need to carefully rotate the U lock to lay it down flatter to lock the hump of the point from being able to move when the hoop is full of fish.

Notice how you U lock material is 3/16" material rather than 1/4" material, that is one of the things I changed when I built mine.  Apparently, there are some made with everything being 1/4", but obviously not all.