Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:50:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Shilshole/Meadow Garden 12-3-17?  (Read 7726 times)

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
There's a theory (PNW weather prediction) the weather and tides might be good for a Sunday, 12-3-17 launch at Meadow Garden.  There's an early low of about 6 ft. A 7-8 AM launch at the beach should allow a shallow(er) morning troll while riding the last few hours of the outgoing tide north around the area of the green buoy on the point until 10:15 when the high slack is 12 ft. During the slack it should be easier jigging a little deeper near the point while riding the flood back around about noon.  The forecast is for a SE 5 mph wind which should help keep things calmer for that area so it looks like a good potential combo troll/jigging morning.  That's my plan if anyone is interested in joining, should be a pretty easy day if you're getting your salt on if the theory holds.
Have no idea if any fish are being caught (anyone been out?), but I need some paddling time.
This is an older pic but shows the area and theory.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 08:09:30 AM by Trident 13 »

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Pretty slow out there. Not many fish being checked in.  Blackmouth being caught are 20 to 21 inches.  You'll have better luck jigging squid.

Trident 13

• Salmon
Good to hear from you Brad, and THANKS, that was encouraging, lol. 
Might break out the ultra light gear.  My favorite jigging pole is a cheap berkly ultra light 48" casting rod with a Penn 109 reel set to direct drive.  Hard on the fingers but exciting.
I'm hoping to pick up one of the shimano jigs others are having luck with.  I'm getting the full range of gear use after using ultralights at Sliver Lake for crapppie, then telephone poles while casting crab snares at the Ilwaco Jetty and dodging surf and now maybe back to ultralights for small jacks.  C&R is fun on the light gear anyway and I'll hope some grew an inch by Sunday?
Hoping to get some parts from Penn for my Penn Battle II which pooped the bed while pulling in the crab snares.  Hand over hand with braided line while hanging onto slippery rocks on the jetty was exciting, but I saved the $2 homemade but effective snare.  "Larry" at Penn Customer service was very helpful and while the reel is out of warranty, $11 and free shipping got me all new gears in the mail and hopefully here by Friday/Saturday.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 11:13:23 AM by Trident 13 »

Trident 13

• Salmon
My plans are firming up and unless something significant changes, plan on launching about 7:30, catching the outgoing tide around the green buoy jigging and then catching the flood back toward shilshole after the 10 or so slack.  Wind forecasthas dropped to 3 mph from the ESE which is a great direction for that area.  It doesn't get much easier iin the winter and it should be pretty calm if any new folks want to test the salt.
White camo Trident 13 blue/gold kokatak suit.  Optimistic with the new Shimano Butterfly Flat-Fall jigs and likely a WAY oversized net sticking up for typical winter blackmouth size, lol. If anyone comes, make sure you have 22" measuring capability, PM me if you have any questions.  There is a reasonably nice bathroom to change in/use that opens at 6.  Be cautious if you launch early as the shoreline to the buoy is reasonably close to the outgoing run for PB out of the marina.  A light for early AM is good and be alert.

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
I picked up a couple Point Wilson darts to use on Sunday, but they all came with treble hooks with barbs. To use these, I'll need to swap out the hooks to single point hooks and either use barbless or make them barbless, right?

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
I picked up a couple Point Wilson darts to use on Sunday, but they all came with treble hooks with barbs. To use these, I'll need to swap out the hooks to single point hooks and either use barbless or make them barbless, right?

Correct.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

Trident 13

• Salmon
There are lots of Siwash style hooks, I usually use a 2/0 size.  There are many brands, some stainless and others dark.  I was surprised to see the dual hooks on the Shimano Butterfly Flat-Fall are pretty short.  Long enough that I bit, but they have a whole different hook setup.  I usually tie directly to the jig with a single hook on the bottom.  I've seen folks attaching a hook on top and bottom.  I did hook one on the top hook, but it also seems to catch the main line if jigging aggressively.  Some will remove all hooks and bend the eye on the top and bottom the same direction and then run the mainline through both and tie off to a hook of choice.  Important to put a bead between the hook and jig and regularly check your tie for fray as the jig will pound the knot otherwise.  This allows you to use the Pt Wilson Dart more like a modified buzz bomb, which I use occasionally in lighter tide flows.  All part of the game. 

I do suggest that if you buy a package of Siwash (or any salmon hook for that purpose), grab a brew of choice while watching TV and bend all the barbs back so you don't get a surprise when fishing on the water.
Different folks will swear on any given one of these, so pick your choice.  Mine has been the white 2-3 ounce Pt Wilson Dart, but now I've mortgaged my first born on two of the butterflies.  So if you hear a loud scream out on the water, give me a moment as I'll have lost one:-O

Nice to hear if others have even more variations.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:02:43 AM by Trident 13 »

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I wish I could go on Sunday. Maybe next time will work better for my schedule. I'm curious to see how you do, and how well those jigs work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trident 13

• Salmon
Raven, I’ll sing like a canary with the results, but it might cost a reciprocal brewsky at that lake city brewery. We might have enough new folks to have a crew.  Good to here from you. I’ll post up the results.

JasonM

• Lingcod
If I'm using 30lb braid for my main line for jigging tomorrow, what weight mono or flourocarbon leader should I use and how long should it be?

Trident 13

• Salmon
I use 20 lb mono and leave it about 24 inches long.  While I try to avoid hooking bottom, if that's where they are that's where I go.  I can break off that two feet with the jig (with tears if its one of the Butterflies, lol) and save the braid. 
If you do hang, make sure you wrap the braid around something other than your hand.  That lb test (same I'm using) will easily snap a pole or REALLY cut your hand even through gloves.  I attach leaders with swivels to several favorite jig styles before going out so it's a quick click to switch.  My Trident has a couple of what I assume are strengthening and/or lure holding troughs on the deck hole covers.  I lay a couple of favorites in those and click the swivel to the line securing the cover to the kayak to keep them from getting washed out. 

I recognize the potential hazard if I'm suddenly upside down but feel pretty good about breaking free if needed.  When you attach anything to your deck, it's always a good idea to PAPA (Pause, Assess, Plan, make sure you're comfortable in your Action if needed) and think about a recovery from the worst position (upside under the yak) and think your way out.  Anything such as down-riggers, depth finders, pole holders, paddle leashes, etc. can hold you under or restrict re-entry and it's especially important to think about what risk you're willing to take, especially in winter.
Two people help, but holding your breath for 10 minutes while I pull in a nice fish is tough :fish:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 09:48:07 AM by Trident 13 »

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Was psyched to join this session, then found out other duties were scheduled for mid morning. Did get one of those butterfly's and some stingers at OE, hoping to try out soon.

Good luck all and look forward to hearing the reports!

Trident 13

• Salmon
Got the jigs (see pic above for one) and will try for a 730 launch looking for anyone else. Will post up. Should be interesting. Parts for one of my reels didn’t come and I’m bring the old single action knuckle buster along with a stiff 5 ft bass rod with a penn 109. Hoping to meet Jason

Trident 13

• Salmon
Had a really great day with Jason. Much appreciated. Had to laugh as it was his first trip and he hooked up trolling out to our chosen jig Area right away. LOTS of shaker coho and black mouth. WFGD made a slow pass around me just asking if they were small ones but didnt check gear or license. The watched me release about a 19-20 inch black mouth after a pass by it with my measure stick. Excellent weather and Jason was still peddling when I left. Butterflies seemed pretty effective, but I suspect a table spoon might have had some hits as well. Don’t think I like the short double line-connected hooks. Kept two under 20 coho that were fatally hooked. Will be switching one to a single siwash and comparing. Just looking over the side in calm clear water I could easily see them on the fall at 10-15 feet. Only had a couple of foul hooks to the main line.

JasonM

• Lingcod
Many thanks to Trident 13 for all the help to this newbie. I learned a lot today. I caught my first chinook salmon ever... and also my 10th. :)

Unfortunately, they were all just barely too small to keep. I had two that were 21 1/2 inches, and a couple others that were right at 21 inches. I figured out the chinook catching method right after Trident 13 left and kept hoping that I'd get one or two that would just barely squeak over the 22 inch minimum, but it was not to be. I lost more than I caught trying to be extra careful knowing that I would be releasing most (ended up releasing all). The only ones that went in the net were the ones that I thought might make the cut. I only saw one bleeding at all, and it didn't see to be much. My right arm is aching from jigging and pulling up fish. I think next time I'll take two fishing rods, one with a right-handed reel and one with a left-handed reel....

So.. how quickly do chinook salmon grow? When all of those have put on another inch or two, I'll be set.  ;D