Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:39:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2018 OR Groundfish limits adopted  (Read 2837 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
This was brought up at the end of the previous discussion about this topic, but if anyone is interested, here's the info from ODFW:

https://myodfw.com/sport-groundfish-seasons

Basically, inside the 30 fathom curve, it's 5 fish/day limit, open all year. Lingcod remain in their own bag at 2/day. (See the link above for the actual rules; my summary is inadequate to make fishing decisions by.)

I guess we'll see how this pans out. At least it's a much simpler rule set, rather than a bunch of sub-bag limits. (Just trying to see the bright side.) I really hope we can avoid another mid-year closure and obviously I hope we can maintain the stocks required for a healthy fishery.

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I like it.  If having a year-round season means sacrificing two rockfish from a daily limit, I'm all for it.  Most of the time I just prefer to take a pair of lings anyway.

Great news on the flatfish front by opening it up to all depth!  I found you don't have to go far out of Depoe to hit the 200 foot contour.  It was an endless stream of sand dabs when I explored it last September, but I'd be curious to see what's out there the other times of the year.  I want to do some deepwater prospecting for 20+ inch petrales this summer  8).
aMayesing Bros.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I want to do some deepwater prospecting for 20+ inch petrales this summer  8).

Sweeeeeet!  ;D

Hey what is your opinion on if the 5 fish bag is likely to produce another early closure (like this year)? I've heard varying opinions. My point being I hope the 2018 regs are restrictive enough to keep it open all year.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

This sounds like a fun time.  I would be highly interested in learning the flatfish ways if you ever want some company.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I like the 5 fish limit.  ODFW thinks it may allow for a full year season, but it may not.

Clayman

• Salmon
Hey what is your opinion on if the 5 fish bag is likely to produce another early closure (like this year)? I've heard varying opinions. My point being I hope the 2018 regs are restrictive enough to keep it open all year.
If we have the same type of ocean salmon season (very likely), tuna success (I heard it sucked), and high number of fishable summer days in 2018 as we did in 2017, I'd be worried.  The boats were just hammering the black RF schools this summer.  I saw it happen on the reefs out of Newport, and also out of Depoe Bay: people just loading up the boat with piles of blacks.  I would hope the early closure this year would make anglers more cognizant of the number of blacks they choose to keep, but I guess we'll see.  For some, "limiting out" takes precedence over having the opportunity to fish twelve months out of the year.

With regards to the charters, the long-leader fishery could be a wild card in helping to ease pressure on the nearshore rockfishes.  The handful of iFish reports I've read of boats exploring this fishery showed some very impressive catches of a variety of BIG rockfish.  I would hope that the long leader RF successes of this year will stir enthusiasm for bottomfish anglers to partake in this fishery in 2018, and thereby not hammer the blacks as much.

This sounds like a fun time.  I would be highly interested in learning the flatfish ways if you ever want some company.
For sure man.  Let's keep in touch on it  :).
aMayesing Bros.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

they included this in the press release:

"Further in-season adjustments to groundfish seasons could happen if needed to keep under allowed harvest levels and ODFW is committed to monitoring and reporting effort and catch at more frequent intervals"

better data would give them the option of adjusting the limit down in advance of a full closure...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
If you look more closely at the graph/chart ndogg posted, it looks to me like the 5-fish limit crosses the annual quota line in August if there isn't excessive pressure in 2018 like we saw this year.  Mid-July if the extra pressure is repeated.  It only makes it through December if there's at least 10% less pressure than in a "normal" year.

Long-leader fishing may produce larger fish but it costs a lot more to put a charter boat out that far and reduces how many trips per day a boat can make.  It doesn't seem like it's something to count on to reduce pressure on the near-shore fishery.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
There should be incentive for exploiting the long leader fishery in decent number of angler days. The 10 vs 5 fish limit could inspire a lot of trips out past 40fm.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
There should be incentive for exploiting the long leader fishery in decent number of angler days. The 10 vs 5 fish limit could inspire a lot of trips out past 40fm.

Then they will end up hammering Yellow Eye.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Do we have any data to support that?  I thought the whole point of long leader was to avoid yelloweye.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012

my understanding is that hooking yelloweye is greatly reduced by keeping the hooks at least 30' off the bottom.  is that not correct?

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Clayman

• Salmon
It was an endless stream of sand dabs when I explored it last September, but I'd be curious to see what's out there the other times of the year. 
Nothing wrong with Sand Dabs.  Some of the tastiest fish I've ever had.
Dave
I agree that they're plenty tasty.  It's just that I'd rather take home 5-6 sole between 15-20 inches, versus having to deal with a bunch of 10 inch dabs  ;D.  When I stumble onto a sand dab swarm, I usually pick up and move.
aMayesing Bros.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

my understanding is that hooking yelloweye is greatly reduced by keeping the hooks at least 30' off the bottom.  is that not correct?

I wish they'd do something similar down here.  There were some experimental fisheries done with long leaders, which demonstrated good catches of chillipepper rockfish with little to no yelloweye or cowcod bycatch. 

-Allen

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
In my own personal opinion I feel it would be best if charter boats had their own quota that is separate from private sport fishing craft. They don't give a shit how many, how big, what color, or what they taste like, as long as they have a full boat booked for tomorrow.

They are the ones that at are squawking the loudest about the shutdown resulting in all of the trips they had to cancel, and all of the income they have lost.

The last time it was shut down in entirety was 14 years ago. As a kayak dork I miss keeping an eye on magicseaweed and looking for windows to get out this time of year (this morning looked pretty darn good).  I mainly just miss the excuse to go get salty while whale watching and enjoy the winter solitude.

Shutting it down while the lings are nest sitting might be a good thing for the near shore fishery in the longer run.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

anything