Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: AOTY 2017 Congratulations and Prizes  (Read 2291 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Well it’s almost a month since the 2017 competition officially ended, so I’m overdue in providing a wrap-up post. Januaries are busy at my house, apologies, etc. On to the fun stuff!

AOTY 2017 MAIN EVENT CHAMPION: Snopro

Snopro - Champion - Grand Prize Provided by Next Adventure: $500 gift certificate
Our 2014 champion climbed to the top of the chart yet again with an astounding score of 2066.375 points! That is the highest points total by an AOTY champion EVER. Way to raise the bar, Snopro! If you look back through previous years’ results it’s pretty obvious that this guy knows what he’s doing. I imagine in addition to skill it took some serious grinding to get that total. The top of the mountain just got a little higher.

jed - 2nd Place - Prize Provided by Kokatat: $250 gift certificate
After placing 4th in 2016 it seems jed had no place to go but up, which he accomplished with a final score just shy of that magic 2000 mark - 1983.4375 points - earning him second place. His saltwater fish were ridiculous (see his saltwater slam results below). Well, jed, there’s still one more rung to climb!

uplandsandpiper - 3rd Place - Prize Provided by Kayak Shed: Package including livewell
A man on a mission! Uplandsandpiper nearly did the impossible, shooting for AOTY champion with only freshwater species. By my reckoning earning 1839.5 points and 3rd place with only freshwater species is one of the most impressive feats we’ve seen in AOTY. You might remember this is the same guy who did a Big Fishing Year (i.e. how many species he could register) in 2014 and tallied 84 species. What amazing thing is he going to do this year? Stay tuned.

4th - Casey - $50 for RAM, Bilge, Hoo-rag, T-shirt, Big Hammer Baits
5th - Nobaddays - $50 for RAM, Seat cushion, Hoo-rag, Big Hammer Baits
6th - Captain Redbeard - stuff
7th - smokeyangler - $50 for RAM, Seat cushion, Big Hammer Baits
8th - johnmikerob - $50 for RAM, Big Hammer Baits
9th - Ashley - $25 for Austin Canoe and Kayak, Big Hammer Baits
10th - Polyangler - $25 for Cabela’s, Big Hammer Baits

Osteves - Youth Division Champion - Prize package including Yak Attack and Scotty accessories, Hoo-rag, baits
Osteves takes his 2nd consecutive Youth Division crown! I’m stoked that the youth division got more participation this year and I’m happy to say that every youth division participant got a prize package. They are the future of our sport - let’s get them involved!

Side Challenges
Similar to last year, prizes for side challenges were awarded such that each Main Event prize winner would only win one side challenge at most. Tiny Fish and On The Fly kind of have their own prizes anyway so those work a little differently. Unfortunately prizes were a little harder to come by this year so the slams only got the 1st place paid out except for the Saltwater Slam.

I want to highlight the Tiny Fish category this year. Not only did Ashley place 9th in the main event, but she won the Tiny Fish Slam as well. I’m committed to continuing to find prizes for Tiny Fish, so if you feel that you don’t have the chops for the Main Event, go small or go home! I’d love to see this category grow this year.

Tiny Fish Slam
1 - Ashley - Tiny trophy, rod holder, hat, baits, Hoo-rag
2 - surf12foot
3 - C_Run

Salmon Slam
1 - Snopro - NEMRods custom salmon rod
2 - johnmikerob
3 - Casey

Saltwater Slam
1 - jed - Lucid Grips fish gripper
2 - Klondike Kid - Baits (I had to send some love to our Alaskan brothers!)
3 - rawkfish

Freshwater Slam
1 - Snopro - n/a (Salmon Slam winner)
2 - uplandsandpiper - Hat, drift sock
3 - BasinKayakGuy

On The Fly
1 - surf12foot - Sillwater Fly Shop fly line voucher
2 - Nobaddays - Sillwater Fly Shop fly line voucher
3 - Tinker - Sillwater Fly Shop fly line voucher

All said and done we raised $1578.91 for Heroes On the Water. Thank you for supporting this worthy cause.

THANK YOU AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OF THE PARTICIPANTS AND SPONSORS. I truly believe we have something special here - let’s keep it going! I’ll keep trying to find prizes if y’all keep fishing.

THANK YOU to polepole for keeping the lights on and to the volunteers and judges that make AOTY a 100% donation effort.

And how about a monster round of applause for bsteves who completely reworked the AOTY software to provide a great experience for years to come!

You can do me, HOW, and AOTY a big favor by posting pictures of you with your winnings on social media and tagging the appropriate sponsor along with a “Thanks for supporing NWKA’s Angler of the Year” or similar message.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 04:26:54 PM by Captain Redbeard »

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Good job everyone! Thanks for the hard work Lauren and everyone else. Lots of impressive fish caught. i wasnt able to get out much, but still checked the leaderboard regularly. Excited to see what people reel in this year.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Congrats to Snopro for an awesome win this year.  The fish you put on the board were very impressive.  It always gives me something to shoot for.

A huge thanks to Captain Redbeard and all the others who make this competition possible.

I had the privilege of fishing with or around many of the 2017 top placing finishers and learned a lot by doing so.

2017 was a fun year of fishing competition and I can't wait to see what 2018 brings.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Congrats to all of the competitors in 2017 and a huge thank you to the AOTY volunteers. Putting together a single day tournament is hard enough but keeping one on track for a year is incredible. Good job guys.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
This competition made fishing even more fun than usual last year. Some friendly competition makes everything more fun! I think every thing...
Again, I learned tons about kayak fishing in 2017 thanks to this group both on and off the water.  This truly is an awesome group of people.  Thanks NWKA!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Had a great time last year, but that Fly Line Voucher?  Doesn't exist.  Stillwater says they don't know anything about any fly line prizes and they claim they've never even heard of Northwest Kayak Anglers!

I sent you a pm but wanted to make sure Stillwater is not getting a bad name.  Their General Manager Paul is the one who coordinates the donation and is the only one who knows anything about it.  They have been very generous the last couple years, donating three $90 fly lines each year.  I contacted him and got my fly line a couple weeks ago.

On that note, they are a great shop.  I have bought several rods and reels from them.  They have a trade up program where they sell slightly used or demo equip at good savings.  If you are looking for any fly gear look them up on their website.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thanks Cap for your hard work making this all possible and wrapping it up.  Thanks Bsteves for making the digital interface awesome.  Congrats to the winners!  Ya'll are my inspiration for this year.  I am especially a fan of USP who got all freshwater species and has motivated me to try for more inland (upland) game this year. :)  Plus his YT channel is very informative.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thank you, James.  The second time I called, the person I spoke with claimed to be "second in charge of the shop" and said he didn't know anything about prizes nor about NWKA.  He went further and said that if he doesn't know anything, no one else would know anything, and was I sure I shouldn't be calling Kansas (?).  That's all I knew - first hand - and all that I wrote about.

I'm glad it went smoothly for you.  It's been more than a bit frustrating for me the last couple of days.  I expect it will work out now that I know the one person I need to speak with.

I hope you got this sorted out and everything is fine. Apologies if I steered you the wrong way regarding how to contact them. Please don't jump to conclusions; it is very difficult to find sponsors as awesome as Paul at Stillwater and we really appreciate his support.

If anyone has trouble collecting on a prize by email or phone please contact ME first and I'll try to help sort it out. If I'm hard to get ahold of on the weekend apologies - you know, fishing and all that.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Was not my intent to disrespect a sponsor.  The conversations I had with the shop were very confusing, but I believe it has now been straightened out.

As an aside, the Stillwater Fly Shop has great everyday prices on fly gear - they have several items that I wish I'd purchased from them and saved at least 10% of what I'd paid elsewhere, and I ordered a few items from them.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Bigjim

• Lingcod
  • No white flags.
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Congrats to all the competitors, thanks to the sponsors, and HUGE THANKS to the organizers for all the hard work behind the scenes!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

anything