Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: lessons learned the hard way  (Read 2723 times)

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Well I got robbed this morning.
I had the day off, was planning a kokanee fishing trip.  Put my gear in the car overnight to save the time loading it in the morning.  Someone broke in and stole my rods/reels, tackle, ugly fishing hat, gloves, downrigger, and most painfully my dry suit. 
Loading the car the night before was a mistake- lots of dishonest people out there.  I live in a good neighborhood, car parked right outside my front door.  I just need to wake up earlier and load in the morning.
Now Im out $1500 of gear (dry suit over half that), and whole day is ruined!
Wisdom comes after bad judgement.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Raw deal, not much to say that you haven't thought.  I usually load the kayak on the roof and place my gear in front of the door to get out so I don't forget it.  Have never had that "Are you kidding me!" with fishing gear, and we've not had a problem in our neighborhood, but have walked up to broken glass as you go to unlock a door.  Hope either the car or home owners insurance will help.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That really sucks.  It sucks the most that it's a lesson one would ever even have to learn.  If I can help out with any loaner gear or anything in the interim just shoot me a PM.  Seriously.  The only thing that makes up for the bad apples in society is good folks sticking together.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Damn this hits close to home for me. I often pack up most stuff the night before but am always worried about getting broken into. I live in a safe neighborhood, culdesac, have cameras, etc, but I still worry about it. Sorry that happened to you!! You should be able to claim it on your homeowners/renters policy to get some of the money back.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

uplandsandpiper

Sorry for your loss. A month ago I was loading my car to go Kokanee fishing and saw a hawk dive bomb into my backyard. I went around to check on my chickens. I heard a car pull up to the house and drive away. I went out and found they grabbed my rods and fishfinder out of the back of the car. $800 gone in a second. People in this country suck.

Malarkey07

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
My condolences. It's always a huge downer to have these things happen.  At least there are still good people out there. Seems most of them are on this forum.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
What a shorty downer after a good day in the bay fishing. Hopefully your insurance can help recover it , full coverage on the Subaru cover the stolen gear?

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Jrob

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2016
Really appreciate everyone's support, a great pick up for a sucky day.
I have a homeowner insurance policy, and have filed a claim- well see how it turns out!  If anyone sees a kokatat goretex supernova paddling suit XXL in acorn hit craigs list in the next few weeks, let me know-
Fortunately I just got my tax return, and amazon has 2 day shipping.  I hope to be back on the water next week.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Sorry man. That is ridiculous. It doesn't seem to matter anymore where you live. You might try to comb the local pawn shops for the drysuit; it might come up.

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
maybe keep an eye on Craigslist,  Letgo,  Offerup,  and other resell sites.  More so for the chance to catch the thieves. Such a horrible feeling to be robbed.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Here's a story: A friend from out of town was staying with us.  She left a pack and some other outdoor gear under the topper of her pickup.  The gear got stolen that night.  We reported it to the police and made an insurance claim under our homeowner's policy.  A couple of months later I got a call from the police, who reported that they had recovered the pack, and I could come to the police station to pick it up.  When I picked it up, a detective explained that they had busted a couple of kids who had broken into a number of houses, and found a garage full of stolen property, including the pack.  Then he said, "You won't believe this.  When I was interrogating one of the kids, he told me that he really liked that pack, and he asked if when it was all over, if there was any way he could keep it." A mighty clueless kid!

Jrob, I hope you get a call from the cops, telling you that they recovered all your gear.  But don't hold your breath! My suggestion: find someplace to live with a garage, so you can pack your vehicle at night an not worry about getting ripped off.

Tigershark

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Sorry for your material loss.   Bad people suck.   Hope you get back on  the water again soon,  they can steal your gear but not your soul.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I fight the urge to pre pack my car the night before every time. Sorry for the loss. I now use a big plastic tub to put most of the rigging, drysuit and PFD into, and then put the rods net, killbag paddle and flag on the floor next to the box. When I get to putting the stuff in the car, securing the yak to the top takes the longest, everything else is just a load procedure. I hope you can get your stuff back in good condition.

Yak fisher

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
it suck's. My car was broken in a few weeks ago, broken glass, stolen equipment...
Now I'm worry even load a kayak alone, night before I go.
Unfortunately have to leave everything ready in garage and wake my kids early in the morning by opening garage door...
Sorry for you loss.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Keep an eye on Facebook marketplace also, seems to be a popular site for items of questionable origin.