Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:19:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Salmon trolling rod  (Read 4985 times)

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Hey y'all.  What's an ideal size (IYO) rod for Chinook in a yak?  Am I paranoid for thinking putting a big weight on a 1oz rated rod is a bad idea?  I've been using my jigging rods but they're so short I'm worried about getting all the crap far with out if the water to net the fish.  Yes, that's optimism.  But that's why I fish. :)  It's also the name of my catch cooler.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Dawn Patrol

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
I have been using a 8', more flexible rod for trolling (usually involving a downrigger) and it has worked really well. Rod is a Ugly Stik Tiger, see attached pic for specs. The length has worked great for trolling in a holder across the boat, and because of the flex gets a nice bend and also shows when getting a shaker, seaweed, or a real fish.

I use the same rod for mooching. In either case, when I am hooked up with a larger chinook or a good fighter in general, the rod manages the fight well, keeps tension on the fish, and then is the right length (when it has some bend) to land the fish in the net. I have used with a sliding sinker and leader, flasher, line to lure as well and that has worked well when landing too.

Has turned out to be a great kayak rod, especially for the price (under $60).

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I have enjoyed my 10'6'' okuma sat herring rod. I think the extra length prevents the fish from feeling the rod as much when initially hooked.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
My brother gave me his Shimano TDR  86MH2B a couple years ago.  Rated for 15-30 pound line, medium-heavy power and medium-fast action.  It's my primary salmon trolling rod.  I've loaded that thing up with a 16 ounce cannonball before, and it gets the job done.  I've landed salmon in the high twenty-pound range with it so far, and have had zero issues.

Best part is the price.  They're only thirty bucks!  It might not be the sexiest rod out there, but I look at it this way: your trolling rod is going to spend the vast majority of its fishing time in a rod holder, and not in your hands.  If that's the case, then what's the point in buying a rod that might be a few ounces lighter yet a hundred bucks more expensive?

https://www.fishusa.com/product/Shimano-TDR-Trolling-Rods
aMayesing Bros.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Best part is the price.  They're only thirty bucks!  It might not be the sexiest rod out there, but I look at it this way: your trolling rod is going to spend the vast majority of its fishing time in a rod holder, and not in your hands.  If that's the case, then what's the point in buying a rod that might be a few ounces lighter yet a hundred bucks more expensive?

+1

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have caught tons on my okuma 9ft 1-6oz  MH.my fav coho and nook rod.Maxed out with 8oz and a fishflash. If it's a pro troll rod I would go with the newer buzz ramsy berkley rod 10'6" 3-12oz is awsome too.wont break the bank.caught quite a few on it.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks for the feedback, ya'll.  Some good suggestions in the group, and I'm glad to see I was at least partially on track thinking my rod rated up to 1oz was probably on the weaker side.  That 30 dollar shimano is looking pretty nice at the price.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Fisherman's Marine will have great sales on salmon gear.  The Lamiglass X-11 in 9'6' in 1-6 oz is a great rod and goes on sale for about $59-$69 routinely.  It fills my freezer with more salmon than my family can eat every year.  I have trolled with as much as 16 ozs of lead at B-10 in strong currents. Okuma rods and Berkley rods will also go on sale routinely at Fisherman's.  I like the longer rods for the barbless fisheries. I feel they help keep the pressure on and the slack out of the line. They also make netting with longer leaders easier.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Are those longer rods hard to deal with on the boat or do you just tip it back more to land a fish tenkara style? :)

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Are those longer rods hard to deal with on the boat or do you just tip it back more to land a fish tenkara style? :)

I find it easier to land a fish on a 10'6" in the yak than in my jet boat.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

nomas

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Yeah, I took the 8’6” salmon trolling rods I used in my boat out in my first kayak salmon trip last spring and failed my first two attempts to net fish. The 7-8’ of leader/gear kept the fish just a little too far away to get my net under while sitting in a kayak, so I switched to 10’6” rod.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008

I may occasionally high stick it. Meh.  It works. Once I was so tired with a Buoy 10 chinook and I failed to net it on a number of tries, so I planted the butt in the cup holder like a pole vaulter and yanked higher up on the rod. That quickly got the fish in the net, but in retrospect, the rod could have broke.  What can I say, I was exhausted after fishing 7 straight hours and hooked it just as I turned back to the beach to land.

But  to answer your original question, I have run 10 oz of wight on a Shimano Clarus steelhead rod at Buoy 10.  it was rated to 3/4 oz.  I landed a chinook with it just fine.  However, the only reason I used it was because it was a back-up rod and I had too that day.  I do not recommend it for day to day use with heavy weights.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Good to know on the Clarus (that's exactly my situation for a spare rod).  I got a chance to see Zach's 10'6 Okuma in action yesterday and really liked the rod.  I had ended up using my surf rod which was my only longer rod rated over 1oz but that extra long casting handle is a pain with a rod holder.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I just picked up the 9'6 rod Craig mentioned and the okuma cold water line counter to pair. They had great deals at the fishermans anniversary sale.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
okuma cold water line counter

+1