Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hood Canal chum fishing?  (Read 6343 times)

JasonM

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2017
Is anyone heading out kayak fishing for chum salmon around Hood Canal, or anywhere else, soon? I evidently missed Coho at Golden Gardens and it's already closed on the Snohomish River, so I'm just as happy to target chum salmon to check off my kayak fishing species list. I've never fished for chum salmon or even seen one in person, so the sum total of my knowledge is reading stuff on the web or hearing second-hand stories of freight train strength from fish so thick in the water that the people pack into "combat fishing" zones.  ;D

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
So jealous of you right now! Wish we had them down here. When not if you go we want pictures and lots of pictures.
Scott

JasonM

• Lingcod
So jealous of you right now! Wish we had them down here. When not if you go we want pictures and lots of pictures.
I don't have them up near where I live. It will be a three hour trip each direction for me to chase the chums. :)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Is anyone heading out kayak fishing for chum salmon around Hood Canal, or anywhere else, soon? I evidently missed Coho at Golden Gardens and it's already closed on the Snohomish River, so I'm just as happy to target chum salmon to check off my kayak fishing species list. I've never fished for chum salmon or even seen one in person, so the sum total of my knowledge is reading stuff on the web or hearing second-hand stories of freight train strength from fish so thick in the water that the people pack into "combat fishing" zones.  ;D

Hoodsport in November, but sometimes they show up early.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I'll be fishing the mouth of Minter creek for them this year. There's kayak launch a few miles away at Purdy spit. Anchovy or herring under a bobber is the technique, there are people who catch them trolling extremely slow, usually using purplish colors.

Here's a video WDFW did using a bobber for them. It was at John's creek near Shelton
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:41:50 PM by workhard »

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Brought this one home just to convince my wife I was fishing...I doubt you'll find a harder fighting salmon pound for pound, go early if you're looking for table or smoking food...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:45:57 PM by Trident 13 »

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I don't have them up near where I live. It will be a three hour trip each direction for me to chase the chums. :)
Lot better than a 12 hour trip one way.
Scott

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I am still eating my smoked chum from 2013.  That is how good it is. ;)

Seriously though, I have brined it for 48 hours then smoked it.  It is good on smoked salmon pizza cut into small chunks. The oven firms it up real well.  I also put it in pasta in small chunks.  That being said, I only smoke the fillets of the better looking ones.  The rest get turned into crabs on a later date. The Pacific City crabs love them.

I like to use an Okuma Reflexions 7 foot one piece 8-17 pound 1/4~5/8oz spinning rod. Makes for lots of fun.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:57:51 PM by craig »

JasonM

• Lingcod
I enjoy the catching a lot more than eating salmon, even on the "better" salmon. Since it's a 3-hour trip each way for me, I'm considering heading there very early on a Saturday morning so I can fish all day on Saturday, sleep around Hoodsport somewhere (which I can do in my SUV with the kayak and cargo box on top, so don't even have to have a campsite/hotel room), and then fish on Sunday until I head home in the afternoon. I mostly want to get a sleigh ride or several, as I was just getting into kayak fishing last year and missed out on the chum salmon.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Lot better than a 12 hour trip one way.

Its 6 hours each way!  Well worth it :)
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

workhard

• Salmon
  • Get off your computer and fish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I enjoy the catching a lot more than eating salmon, even on the "better" salmon. Since it's a 3-hour trip each way for me, I'm considering heading there very early on a Saturday morning so I can fish all day on Saturday, sleep around Hoodsport somewhere (which I can do in my SUV with the kayak and cargo box on top, so don't even have to have a campsite/hotel room), and then fish on Sunday until I head home in the afternoon. I mostly want to get a sleigh ride or several, as I was just getting into kayak fishing last year and missed out on the chum salmon.

You're more likely to catch Coho right now in the lower Canal, I've been hooking them flatlining spinners at like 3+knts off near Union. Chehalis river also just opened for Coho and there's some jumpers still hanging out around here in Budd Inlet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 09:00:40 AM by workhard »

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Has anyone tried pickling chum? Wondering if a fairly bright one might come out OK that way...
I've seen some recipes where people have pickled some less than bright river fish (salmon).

I can tear up some pickled herring.

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
I'm going to give it a try with the fly rod this winter.  Was told that the Nisqually has a pretty good run in November if it's open.

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
The Slayride Chum Derby is coming up in a couple of weeks. Your arms are jello after two days.

JasonM

• Lingcod
I see that event is scheduled according to the Facebook page, but I haven't seen any mention of it on here. I posted in the Events forum asking some questions about it. It seems odd that there's no buzz on here about that event compared to all the others.

anything