Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:29:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Safety Request - Near-incident in the Strait this weekend  (Read 2895 times)

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
The boat I was on AND my buddy's boat both almost ran over what looked like a gray outback off about a mile offshore from the Sekiu river in the strait of Juan de Fuca this past Saturday morning.

It was just barely post-dawn, was still pretty dang dark, and this kayak had no lights whatsoever, sans a small headlight which we didn't see until he/she turned his head ONLY once we were past him.

It was dark, we were running at speed (25kts), and a slight bit of ocean swell almost completely obscured this person until the last second. Only by the grace of god did this person not turn into dungeness food.

Don't be a doofus. Light your kayak up in low-light conditions.

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hi David!

I was ready to bail, although it never got anywhere near that close.

Thanks for the heads up on the headlamp not doing the trick. Doubt I'll ever be out there in the dark again anyway.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Excellent reminder!

I'm not sure about Washington regs but Oregon requires a 360 degree white light (like you'd find on Scotty or Yak Attack safety flags) if you're out before or after sunrise.  For extra visibility, there are in hull LED light kits that turn your kayak into a floating party boat.   ;D

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Yeah, I'll probably light the boat up like a christmas tree next time I go out just to avoid upsetting anybody.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Yeah, I'll probably light the boat up like a christmas tree next time I go out just to avoid upsetting anybody.

White lights only, don't use green and red ;)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Henney,
A cheap, passive safety CYA for this is to look up SOLAS tape and add some to your yak. (SOLAS= Safety Of Life At Sea)

When I bought my T15 10 years ago, it was one of the first things I added to it. I caught crap for it at first but so what? I felt it made me safer on the water.

What I did was take a pair of the panels designed for use on a paddle, cut them in half and put 2 on each side. One towards the bowm one towards the stern . 10 years a lot of weather exposure and they are still glowing strong.  Has helped a lot over the years.
[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Here is a quick one  to make.  Easy if you have access to a 3D printer.  Just hang it on a spare rod. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3010671

Or a more complicated but better version. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1993269

JohnMckroid

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Henney,
A cheap, passive safety CYA for this is to look up SOLAS tape and add some to your yak. (SOLAS= Safety Of Life At Sea)

When I bought my T15 10 years ago, it was one of the first things I added to it. I caught crap for it at first but so what? I felt it made me safer on the water.

What I did was take a pair of the panels designed for use on a paddle, cut them in half and put 2 on each side. One towards the bowm one towards the stern . 10 years a lot of weather exposure and they are still glowing strong.  Has helped a lot over the years.
[WR]

I love SOLAS tape.  It's the first thing I do when I get a new kayak -- clean the sides and then apply SOLAS tape for increased visibility.  Genuine Solas tape is relatively expensive, but it lasts longer than cheaper reflective tapes and is well worth it.

JohnMckroid

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Normally carry a head lamp, 360 Lt on my flag pole, and most importantly a 1300 lumen spot light.  Technically all you need is " a white light which shall be
exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision."

Check out rule 25(ii) - Inland and International rules are identical.

https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf

A bright light might also be good even during the day, when wind, a loud engine or an irresponsible boater with a stereo blasting may not hear a horn.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I have a visi-carbon pro that the light no longer works.  I was planning on buying one of these to clip to it.  You could pick one of these up and clip it to a fishing rod in a vertical rod holder.  Instant light pole!
UST SplashFlash Waterproof LED Flashlight, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3ZCNFU/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_BCyTBbVHCR5MC
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I have a visi-carbon pro that the light no longer works.  I was planning on buying one of these to clip to it.  You could pick one of these up and clip it to a fishing rod in a vertical rod holder.  Instant light pole!
UST SplashFlash Waterproof LED Flashlight, Orange https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C3ZCNFU/ref=cm_sw_r_apa_BCyTBbVHCR5MC

25 lumens is better than nothing. I carry one of these and it's 45 lumens. has nice brackets on the side to easily strap it to a rod.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/ust-see-me-2-0-led-strobe-water-activated.html

fyi - The instant on feature when it gets submersed doesn't work unless you're in equatorial warm water. 
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 09:07:56 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

anything