Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anyone every try this with a flounder/flatfish?  (Read 3502 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
http://quamut.com/quamut/fish/page/how_to_fillet_a_fish.html

2nd section of the tutorial regarding the flounder/flatfish.
They pull the skin off from the tail to the head.  Does it really come off this easy?   :dontknow:

And before I get the typical answer from you steelheadr, yes I would love to catch one (or many more) and try it for myself.   :laugh:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
perhaps a flounder, but I can tell you not ALL flatfish are that easy.  A good part of my day is steaking and filleting fish.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

And before I get the typical answer from you steelheadr, yes I would love to catch one (or many more) and try it for myself.   :laugh:

????
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
For the big flatfish (halibut) the best cleaning tip I ever received had to do with skinning.  This works best if you can clean the fish at your waist level.

After taking the fillets off the carcass, place them skin side down.  Run your knife between the skin and meat for about 4".  Take the point of your knife blade and cut a 1" slit in the center of the skin flap you have created. 

Stick your index finger of the non-knife hand through the hole giving you a firm pull on the otherwise slippery skin.  Then continue running your knife between the skin and meat to the end of the fillet.  It should take less than 20 seconds with some practice.

Halibut skin is so thick and tough, the skin won't break as you pull.  You get a great grip and can slide the knife quickly through. 

For the little buts you can do one fillet in a swipe.  For the big guys with fillets over 3', I have to cut them in half.

bad lattitude

• Lingcod
Good call on the slit for the fingertip. I hadn't thought of that. Cleaning a halibut is fun (read easy).
None of us is as dumb as all of us.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
For small flounder it's probably not the best way to go. The meat is too flaky IMO and will fall apart when cooking. For others I've never seen them skin it first. I rock it like the rockstar seen here.

Z

2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
fast as she might be (and I think I might have had her as a deckhand on a charter I took years ago...) I think there's a good amount of meat being left behind... Makes me want to do some filleting video too.  Couldn't do it at work, so i'll have to wait till I get around to halibut fishing again. From a 57lb (dressed) 'but, i had less than 8oz of meat to scrape from bones...
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

snopro

• Sturgeon
For small flounder it's probably not the best way to go. The meat is too flaky IMO and will fall apart when cooking. For others I've never seen them skin it first. I rock it like the rockstar seen here.

Z

Yep textbook 'but filleting.

I'd bet she used the finger trick when she skinned the fillets. ;)  SOP in AK.

snopro

• Sturgeon
fast as she might be (and I think I might have had her as a deckhand on a charter I took years ago...) I think there's a good amount of meat being left behind... Makes me want to do some filleting video too.  Couldn't do it at work, so i'll have to wait till I get around to halibut fishing again. From a 57lb (dressed) 'but, i had less than 8oz of meat to scrape from bones...

If you're doing one 20 lber you can take you time and get every last morsel.  If you're doing 1000 lbs most people are less fastidious out of necessity.