Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:43:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Inaugural NWKA Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic - May 18th & 19th  (Read 12040 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
OK Editing original post.  I will keep any rule changes and updates on prize list here.

Well I know we have the Anchor Point derby thread going but it's LONG so I thought I'd start a new thread specific to the weekend of May 18th.  Since the Anchor Point derby is the same weekend, we can keep posting about the other derby on the other thread.

I'd love to hear everyone's input, but sometimes decision by committee doesn’t work as well with limited time, so I am going to offer to organize a few prizes and things for this informal derby.  I will sponsor the prizes this year.  I am thinking a small acrylic trophy/plaque and a small prize, maybe a gift certifcate to a local store or fishing equipment of some kind. 

I think a few basics that we should all just decide on.  Barring any real grief, I'd like to start setting down some rules.  I am up for any changes to the rules.  I am there for fun but we need at least a few basic rules.

1) Entry fee is registration to NWKA & their notice of intent to fish on this thread.  I don't care if we want to start an informal pool of side bets. 
2) Species are : Kings and Halibut
4) Location: Whiskey Gulch Campground
5) Winner determined by total AOTY points for your largest halibut and largest King.
6) Time: starting Saturday May 18th at 6am with the tournament running through Sunday at 3pm.  Date can be postponed or no points for a select day/time period due to weather if majority of participants vote the conditions are not acceptable.  I want to end it on Sunday fairly early so people can head back and still participate in any end of event stuff.  But I am open to suggestion.  I think by making it largest fish each of halibut and king, I don’t think its too much a disadvantage people who can’t fish full days both days.
7) Though its titled Yak challenge, I think anything non-motorized is a go for this tournament.  Yes, sails are in.  I don’t care.

I want to lock the rules down by this Friday.

Prize list so far (distribution unknown.) .  I am thinking Overall winner gets trophy and one prize.  Other prize for largest king and one for largest halibut. 

1) Acrylic trophy/award (sponsored by Kardinal)
1a) Single speed Avet SX reel. (sponsored by Kardinal)
2) two day rental from Alaska Raft and Kayak (http://www.alaskaraftandkayak.com/)
3) $25 gift certificate to LL Barbecue and $25 gift certifcate to Charley's Philly steak shop.  Both in Dimond Mall.  Courtesy of (Ryan Kim)
4) "Two for one" water taxi certificate from ashore water taxi in Homer. (Sponsored by http://www.homerwatertaxi.com/)
5) One hour use of a mover and box truck for local move or apply value to larger move courtesy of the http://www.themovingman.net/.
6) Almost Brand New halibut rod and reel courtesy of Kenai_guy
7) Single malt high end beverage courtesy of AKfishin.
8) $50 Sportsmans warehouse gift card courtesy of Bzuefishx & http://QBFOffice.com
9) Carhartt backpack filled with Carhartt swag, a Grunden's Gage "Eat Fish" t-shirt and a handful of Mepps spinners Courtesy of Sweeny's clothing in Soldotna and Harry Smith!

Ok, input and who is in?!?!?!?!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 03:22:36 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
How many shrimp = 1 halibut?? Lol

I'm planning on being around provided I can find whiskey gulch. I'll intend to fish, hangover dependent tho...

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I have two entries...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Bzuefishx

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
Good things come to those that wade.

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I'm in! Dan you can follow me down to whiskey if you want

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Sounds good Matt. I was figuring I'd leave early Friday, maybe around noon.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

You already have 5 people committed to this gig. Go get em Alaskan folk. I'd love to join you but it ain't gonna happen this year.
   Have fun with it and keep the rest of us posted.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok.  So I just ordered the acrylic award.  So that's up for grabs.  I got Alaska Raft and Kayak to offer a free two day rental or discount on a gift certifacte I would buy. I'm hitting up a few more folks.  Basically I am telling them the groups is VERY small but its the first one, its going to get bigger, and we will be sure to give them a good mention in any report for the event. 

It's on! 

Feel free to spread the word but I am going to insist that rule number one is they have to sign up for these forums.  Just a lot easier to make announcements and such.

Also, since the entry fee is basically free, no whining.  It is strictly for fun!  I hope it will evolve into something better bigger and MUCH better organizedin the future but its NOT this year!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
That's frigging awesome Kard. Nice work!!

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Prize list is growing...slowly. I got a commitment from a friend for gift certificates of $50 from one of his several stores (food concession dimond mall). 

I also got a commitment from a local mover friend of mine for an hour use of one employee and box truck in Anchorage or apply the discount for any local move or large move.

I have a few more feelers out there...

Stay tuned....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ashore water taxi out of Homer offered a two for the price of one transport to the islands certificate.

http://www.homerwatertaxi.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok.  Edited original post.  I will keep any rule changes and updated prize list there.  To make it a tad more interesting.  I will commit to an additional prize for the overall winner.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I've got a halibut rod and reel I'll throw in the pot.  Only used a couple times.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic