Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:16:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: PA12 self recovery practice...  (Read 4563 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
just as you don't become an expert snow skier or a 'single digit' golfer the first time out, to kayak safely over a wide variety of water and changing conditions requires: equipment, planning, practice, experience, common sense...and so on.

I am starting my path up that learning curve, today was my first practice at getting back on my PA12 from the back, I did about 10 splashes wearing my drysuit.  I have a step that drops in the water in the back and I added some non-slip tape to the back deck area, plus my rear rails are great places to grab.   

In the other image, I am standing on the very back of the PA12 (just after that was taken I lost my balance and splashed in).  I am very impressed with the dynamics of the PA12 and enjoying getting used to being all over this boat...

my next recovery practice will be in windy weather with some waves and chop to deal with...

Here is the video with 2 of the recoveries:

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
"This kicks ass" ...haha! So glad you're having fun with it man! Nice setup on the boat and great vid.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Nice. I thought you were mark collett for a minute. That's just the stuff I need for my kids too. Great job!
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Nice. I thought you were mark collett for a minute. That's just the stuff I need for my kids too. Great job!

thanks Jammer, and if I remember correctly, thanks also for 'strongly' suggesting that I check out the PA12, I love this boat already and I am just getting to know the 'Fish Retriever'....roger

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Way cool. I really like that railing you installed. You made re-entry look easy.
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Way cool. I really like that railing you installed. You made re-entry look easy.

ah yes, the "Lab Containment Rails"....now that I am getting comfortable with the stability of the PA12 in nice water, I am ready to take my dog for a test ride and see how that goes.

She is a rescue from Phoenix that likes being on our normal boat but is not real keen getting in the water (which is fine since I would rather she stay on the boat and she has a good PFD); when in AZ we foster dogs for Desert Labrador Retriever Rescue (if it is mostly a Lab, we will save it and find a home for it), my wife and I fostered and found homes for 7 (one at a time) while in AZ this winter, and I adopted one, Pepper, who it turns out is a 1.5yo GreatDane/Labrador mix, not big though, just 80# and all legs...hoping she can join me at least for smoother water fishing trips...

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Thanks for the compliment Micheal. Roger has a lot more hair than me. Course...you've never seen me without a hat on.

Cool set-up Roger......like your rig.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:35:34 PM by Mark Collett »
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
That's a cool set up you've got there, Roger! Good form on the re-entry! You need to come down here for some bottom fishing.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
That's a cool set up you've got there, Roger! Good form on the re-entry! You need to come down here for some bottom fishing.

yes, I am thinking that might be a good idea, you seem to have some good water down there to learn ocean launching...mid-August is when I have some potential open days, I'll be in touch.   if you can get up here after Oct.1, we can take the yaks to Siltcoos and I can share our location/technique to slay the coho there...roger

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
yes, I am thinking that might be a good idea, you seem to have some good water down there to learn ocean launching...mid-August is when I have some potential open days, I'll be in touch.   if you can get up here after Oct.1, we can take the yaks to Siltcoos and I can share our location/technique to slay the coho there...roger

A few of us fish woahink for perch and Siltcoos when the Coho run every year. We usually launch at nightingales fish camp. way easy there but would be cool to try different areas  too. "goldendog" lives in Florence you will have to hook up with him.
Anytime you want to come down and fish Sunset, would be glad to show you around. Not much to learn about ocean launching here as it just like launching in a lake. great place to get salty for the first time though!

Hopefully you can make it down on the 3rd of Aug. for my tourny.

See ya on the water..
Roy

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
EXCELLENT recovery and video! Big kudos for actually doing what many of us are going to get around to (but haven't).

You might be a bit careful though when you do that in the wind. I did it up a Timothy in my boat when it was blowing pretty good and the BigA dang near got away from me.   Your boat scooted along a fair distance after you went in, and the PA has a good bit more windage than the Adventure.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Your boat scooted along a fair distance after you went in, and the PA has a good bit more windage than the Adventure.

yes, a couple of times, it got going about 4mph and rolled off the side, as would be expected, I came to a stop and that PA12 just kept gliding along the water while I started swimming after it...started me thinking about our river here which has wind, tide, current, and other boats...

anything