Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie hatch O-ring replacements.  (Read 6871 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
The stock Hobie hatch o-rings often become a problem.  In cross-section they are shaped like a square block with a stacked triangle. The square base fits into the groove on the hatch cover and the peak on the triangle is supposed to create the seal.  Because of their weird shape they eventually stretch and twist.

Over the winter I replaced my stock o-rings with these (BN70-445, 8" ID x 8-1/2" OD x 1/4" W):

http://www.oringsusa.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104005546

They are only $0.91 a piece, but the $7.50 shipping will make you cringe.  Order 4 or 6 or 8 or 10 and share them with your friends to lower the unit cost as the shipping is constant.  If you only buy 2 the total cost with shipping is about half the cost of new Hobie o-rings without shipping.  At first I tried the 3/16" wide versions (bought 10) but they slipped into the hatch groove and never touched the hatch ring - too small.

Ideally these could be a little softer, but I couldn't find them in BN60 plastic (the lower the number the softer the "Buna N" plastic (co-polymer butadiene and acrylonitrile)).  Install them warm.  You may need to push them into the hatch lid groove.  Grease them up with a silicone grease and close the hatch.  They might be real tight at first, but they will take a set, and the warmer they are the softer.  I've been using them for a while and they have loosened up.  They seem to seal well.

Googling "o ring BN 60 -445" gets hits.

BN70s.  Not sure how the total price compares.

http://www.grainger.com/product/O-Ring-1KPL6?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

http://www.metrogasket.com/o-rings/prices/o-ring_prices.htm
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

momo fish

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Seems like a great solution to a common issue. Have they held the test of time ?
Using Tapatalk

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I have found that using silicone spray on the hatch has greatly improved the life of the O-rings. Whenever the hatch seems a little harder to close, I spray the O-ring, and also the latch handle where it goes through the hatch. I keep a can of the spray in my truck. Also wipe away any sand or other debris when you see it.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
They have held up. I still lube the round o-rings with a silicone spray, and keep them clean of sand and debris. The problem with the stock o-rings is Hobie got too cute. The asymmetrical cross-section makes them twist in the channel and the twist makes them leak.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You can also go to a Granger store to avoid shipping costs.  Check google maps.

Nangusdog

• Lingcod
  • Live to fish, fish to live
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
I bought a 10-pack of these to try but they're just a bit too big and stiff (I know what you're thinking)...my hatches won't close properly with them.. even with copious silicone lube. 
I ended up going back to my Hobie o-rings but keep them clean and well lubed with silicone.

Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7QYFPLqHbdZIJblTDhgAuQ

Hobie Outback x2 (for fishing)
WS Tsunami 140 (for paddling, wishing I were fishing)
Old Town Dirigo 120 (for rivers)

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I bought a 10-pack of these to try but they're just a bit too big and stiff (I know what you're thinking)...my hatches won't close properly with them.. even with copious silicone lube. 
I ended up going back to my Hobie o-rings but keep them clean and well lubed with silicone.
Are we still talking seals, cause all this talk of stiffies and lube is quasi exciting
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I bet the engineer that designed this still holds that his design is flawless and the fault lies in the buna being outside of stated spec. (If the seal did stay locked in that channel, it would theoretically work.)
BTW I'm more of a McMaster fanboy. Grainger seems to regularly send the wrong stuff, plus they usually cost more. This Oring appears to be no exception. Fastenal may also be worth checking out for these. Many times they'll buy them in bulk and just sell you the single.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Are we still talking seals, cause all this talk of stiffies and lube is quasi exciting

Did someone mention lube??Buy in bulk and save money. Gotta love Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant-Gallon/dp/B005MR3IVO

anything