Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:54:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:38:44 PM]

[Today at 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Freezing fish fillets for the obsessive-compulsive angler  (Read 12031 times)

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I like to freeze fish fillets in ziplock bags containing water, to prevent freezer burn.  However, ziplock bags containing water tend to assume an inconvenient shape.

You can’t set a bag containing water on a wire freezer rack to freeze, because the bag will droop into the rack.  You need to set them on something flat, like a plate.  And I like to set them at an angle so the water will run towards the bottom of the bag, away from the ziplock seal.

Here’s how I freeze fish fillets: I bought some Rubbermaid drawer organizers, and sawed them in half.

Then I put the fish fillets in one-quart freezer ziplock bags, fill the bags with water, squeeze out most of the water and all of the air, close the ziplock seal, set the bags in the drawer organizer halves, and prop them at an angle in the freezer.

This creates a nice tidy shape which is easy to store.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:01:32 PM by pmmpete »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I used the water technique as well till I finally broke down and bought my cheap self  a good vacuum sealer.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I vacuum pack some things, but prefer to freeze fillets in water.  Probably just due to habit.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
The problem with freezing in water is it results in really long freeze times which results in a lesser quality product once thawed out.
If you want to freeze your fish without using a vacuum sealer, glaze them after they freeze rather that filling the bag with water.
In order the glaze your fillets you need to freeze them first. The goal is to freeze as quickly as possible so laying each fillet flat and not stacking them will give you the best results.  Once the bare fillet is frozen hard take it out of the freezer and dip it in tub of VERY cold water. The water will freeze to the fillet forming a protective layer of ice. The colder the water and the colder the fish the thicker the layer of ice.
Once glazed you can put your fillets in a bag for storage.

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I like that glaze idea.  I've done it the other way and agree it's not the best.  I have a cheap vacuum sealer that uses expensive bags, so looking for alternatives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have also found that salt water fish filets get mushy upon thawing if in contact with fresh water for long periods of time during thaw.  My salt water filets don't see any fresh water from the time I remove them from the fish, until after they have thawed and ready to cook.  Then they get a good rinse with fresh water, pat dry and fried, baked, BBQ''d, steamed etc.

All my fish go directly into a food sealer bag as soon as possible if not being consumed that day.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
re: expensive vac bags - if you tightly wrap your fillets in celophane before vac sealing, and seal numerous fillets in one bag, you can re-use the bag and save on costs. just cut bag open, take out what you want, re-seal. i haven't found any noticeable difference in quality as a result.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
re: expensive vac bags - if you tightly wrap your fillets in celophane before vac sealing, and seal numerous fillets in one bag, you can re-use the bag and save on costs. just cut bag open, take out what you want, re-seal. i haven't found any noticeable difference in quality as a result.

Good idea there.

I usually bring my vacuum sealer with me on long trips like Hobuck and freeze once I'm home.  I'm thinking of just grabbing a block of dry ice on my way back next time, so everything is frozen by the time I get home.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I also don't like water coming in contact with my fish until it's thawed and about to be cooked. The more the meat is exposed to water before it freezes the more cells will rupture during freezing. Ever notice how a fillet "leaks" water after being thawed?

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I also don't like water coming in contact with my fish until it's thawed and about to be cooked. The more the meat is exposed to water before it freezes the more cells will rupture during freezing. Ever notice how a fillet "leaks" water after being thawed?

Yup, and yuk!

Thoroughly bleeding said fish while the heart is still beating.  So, no bonking them unconscious for me, as I want as much blood out while they can still pump it out.  Turns out to be a much cleaner cutting board between fish, with only a few scales, and some slime.  Quick towel wipe between fish and each fillet goes into a bowl or bag after coming right off the skin really keeps the meat clean and dry.  No rinse needed, just seal and freeze as is.   

This is obviously for saltwater fish for me, but I still won't freeze fresh water fish with water touching them either.  Especially chlorinated water from a tap.  I don't think it does the flavor of the fish any favors.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Also for bait and for fish. Do not thaw while under vacuum. It will draw the moisture out of the fish.  Break the seal prior to thawing.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Also for bait and for fish. Do not thaw while under vacuum. It will draw the moisture out of the fish.  Break the seal prior to thawing.

Great idea too. I never thought about this. I will need to try it.
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
This is obviously for saltwater fish for me, but I still won't freeze fresh water fish with water touching them either.  Especially chlorinated water from a tap.  I don't think it does the flavor of the fish any favors.

Some of us have well water, so it's free of chlorine and flourine.  Mind you, I don't freeze my fish in water anyway.  Though I might try the glazing method Bill mentioned, especially if I get a halibut this year.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I freeze most of my fish in water using a similar method to the original post, and I wouldn't say I've had any quality issues, in fact compared to anything I buy at the store even my oldest stuff seems pretty good.

That said I like some of the ideas I'm reading here and I'd like to try out some other methods too. I eat a lot of fish and justify some of my fuel expenses on the concept that I'm filling the freezer, so bring on the suggestions!

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Cells bursting resulting in higher drip loss when thawed and poorer quality product is not as much do to water contact prior to freezing as it is a function of slow freeze times.
The longer it takes for a fillet to freeze the more cells burst. When freezing on an industrial scale temps are about -30°F and in a blast freezer with large fans that keep the air moving around 50-60 mph. This will freeze sockeye fillets in 2-3 hours.