Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:57:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Summer/Fall Salmon Clinic!!  (Read 7622 times)

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
LETS DO THIS!!

Are you seeing all of these pics of dudes with salmon and wondering why you can't seem to get 'em on yer kayak?  Are you a total newb and are looking to get into this whole salmon sickness thing?  Or are you just a mooching old salt that has nothing better to do on a Tuesday night but come to the Paddle Sports Center and heckle and/or throw stuff at the guy giving the clinic while swiping a beer?
Well I don't care!  JUST BE THERE!!

Let's talk summer and fall salmon fishing from a kayak!  Tuesday, August 18th, 7 pm at the Next Adventure PSC!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Will this be talking, or actual fishing ?

I mean, I'll come either way, but...details ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
This will be an in-store clinic

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Fiskari

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I do love heckling and throwing things at Jeff....

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Jeff definitely knows a thing or two about chasing salmon.  If you're looking to increase your odds, dont miss this clinic. 

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I'm open to suggestions on what you guys would like to see at this clinic.  I've got a pretty good list of stuff to cover, but I can always modify it.  What burning questions do you have about catching these awesome fish?  (Aside from where my sweet spots are)  ;D

2011 Angler Of The Year

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
I don't mind betraying my ignorance with questions.

So, kayak fishing for salmon, it's gonna involve bays, large rivers with lots of PB's like the Columbia and Willamette, and using the kayak as a drift boat on the right stretches of some fast moving smaller rivers.

For the bays and tidal portions of coastal rivers, some of us could use some rudimentary walk throughs of trip planning. How to read the right tide tables, where to find and how to read wind and surf reports. So we can know when to go and expect safe conditions.

For the Willamette and kayak drifting, how to really think and plan your way through current, whether and when and how to anchor safely.

Granted, these are non-fishing questions, but they are at the heart of being in the right place at the right time so that you CAN fish.

Then maybe some advice that is specific to fishing from the kayak. The difference between a salmon rod for a kayak versus other boats or banking. What to do, exactly, when you get the thing to the boat ? How to read the water as you're drifting through and say "that's a spot where the salmon will be" ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

So, kayak fishing for salmon, it's gonna involve bays, large rivers with lots of PB's like the Columbia and Willamette, and using the kayak as a drift boat on the right stretches of some fast moving smaller rivers.

For the bays and tidal portions of coastal rivers, some of us could use some rudimentary walk throughs of trip planning. How to read the right tide tables, where to find and how to read wind and surf reports. So we can know when to go and expect safe conditions.

For the Willamette and kayak drifting, how to really think and plan your way through current, whether and when and how to anchor safely.

Granted, these are non-fishing questions, but they are at the heart of being in the right place at the right time so that you CAN fish.

Then maybe some advice that is specific to fishing from the kayak. The difference between a salmon rod for a kayak versus other boats or banking. What to do, exactly, when you get the thing to the boat ? How to read the water as you're drifting through and say "that's a spot where the salmon will be" ?

These are awesome questions.  I already planned on covering most of what you asked.  Thanks for the input!

2011 Angler Of The Year

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014

These are awesome questions.  I already planned on covering most of what you asked.  Thanks for the input!
Sounds like a great clinic.

Any possibility it could be audio or video taped for those of us too many hours away to attend?

I know that takes some planning and effort, so at this stage it may be impossible to pull it off.  Worth asking.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
I don't think a video of the clinic is going to happen this time. However, Spot and I will be coming up with something that will certainly help those who can't make these clinics.

Also, I would like to get a feel for how many people plan to show up from this forum so let me know if you are going to be there.

2011 Angler Of The Year

FishThatWontQuit

• Plankton
I am about 90% sure Ill be coming to this clinic. Sounds like one I cant pass up.

Snamighty

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
There is a lot for me to learn when it comes to salmon fishing.  I'll be there.

thanks for setting up the clinic.

-Veasna

-Veasna

"Give him a fish, you'll feed him for a day.  But teach him how to fish, he'll steal your fish."

2015 Hobie Pro Angler

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
I can't find this event on the NA calendar.

Also, is this at the downtown PSC, or Scapooooooooose ?
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
It may not be on the calendar yet.  It will be at the downtown Paddle Sports Center.

2011 Angler Of The Year

anything