Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: crabhawk!  (Read 23496 times)

CrabHawk

• Plankton
  • CrabHawk
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
Glad to see the CrabHawk getting some good action from the yaks.  I run a Cobra Fish n Dive.....luv em.

Indyflier - do you know the CrabHawk is made right there in Independence?  Call my up my Dad as he's got lots (541-921-3593)  As far as the Danielson version.....I don't recommend you waste your money......it's cheap and you'll find out why pretty quickly.   It will work (kind of), but it's not made to last, isn't made in America and is a knock-off of the CrabHawk when we ended our contract with them.

Remember.....the CrabHawk gets you out where the BIG ONES lay and where dinner is just a cast away!

www.crabhawk.com
The CrabHawk is a castable crab catcher that's used with a rod n reel.  It works great from a YAK!

kfshr

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
As funny as this sounds, Amazon.com has  crabhawks for $15+

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Asporting%2Ck%3Acrabhawk&keywords=crabhawk&ie=UTF8&qid=1304794065

It gets confusing when ya see ads like this.  On the link above, it shows the "Crab Hawk" on the package picture, but is advertised sold as the "Crab Jaw" from Danielson.   :-\

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Thanks Insayn for getting me hooked up with the Bimart setup. Sweet setup, easy to use, a absolute grab and go must for me!
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

kfshr

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Hi Insayn,
The Crabhawk ads on "of -all-places as Amazon" appear to be legitimate.  They are the same crabhawk traps made in OR.  Here’s the url for a search of Google Images (you’re going to love this website). There are photos of the same paperwork for the product that are on Amazon's website and  also bunches of photos of the Crabhawk traps in action on the same page.  Sorry, I'm not sure how to send the photos.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1011&bih=859&q=crabhawk&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Wayne

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jul 2010
Went to the Seattle Boat show today to look at fishfinders, would up with a jolly good kayak-size crab pot:

http://www.jollygoodtrap.com/

They need some rebar in the bottom, as they're really light , but they work really well, and fold flat and small. Downside is price----$69
I found the Danielson traps at Warehouse Sports in Salem today for $9.99 each.  I bought two for later trips to the coast.
I wouldn't worry about the $69. They're good quality. Danielson = made in China as far I've been able to see. It's nice to not send any more money out of the country than you have to. I made the mistake of buying something on the cheap today and I can tell already I'm going to end up buying a replacement that I should have bought first. I'm learning s l o w l y, but I think I'm getting dummer from all the lead in the things I've bought from China :D Buy the right thing and buy it once.

tenhunter

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
This makes crab fishing from a kayak tempting to me...

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
You could also watch Zee's Crabbing from a Kayak video:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/page,36.html
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

CrabHawk

• Plankton
  • CrabHawk
The only caution I have for buying the Danielson "Crab Jaw" (made in China) is that yes it is cheaper, but ANYONE having used it in the past will tell you that it may work for a minute, but you will quickly learn why it's selling for $9.99.  The CrabHawk is made in the USA by hand by the owner and is made of superior stainless steel that will last.  Ask around and make sure.  If the package doesn't say CRABHAWK.....it's a "knock-off"  (which is what the Crab Jaw is - they used to make the CrabHawk for us and when they continued to make it over seas with inferrior materials, we ended our contract with them).

Don't find out the hard way.......
The CrabHawk is a castable crab catcher that's used with a rod n reel.  It works great from a YAK!

CrabHawk

• Plankton
  • CrabHawk
Reply to:  "I found one on my last beach clean up, but it needs new netting. I love finding useful stuff! Somebody should make one double or triple the size. It looks like you could barely fit a good size dungie within the framework, but in theory they would seem effective. Especially for the Hobie guys, who could hold their position directly over it w/out dropping their rod. I wouldn't think drifting and dragging it across the bottom would do much good".

We (CrabHawk) have made many different sizes and shapes of the CrabHawk until we decided on the current size.  We found that making a larger size (as it was originally designed for use with a rod & reel), it made the CrabHawk to heavey for the basic user and was too hard on your rod & reel.  When the CrabHawk is full of crab it can be pretty heavy.....not to mention the resistance from the tide and kelp/grass.  You definitely want to make sure you're taking the CrabHawk along wiht your dinner  ;-)

As far as using the Danielson version (aka Crab Jaw).......Danielson previously distibuted CrabHawks for us, due to growth and demand.  But when they began making them in China with inferrior materials.....we ended our contract.  Unfortunately, they knocked us off and changed the name.  All I can say is, you get what you pay for.  If you buy the Crab Jaw and it works "ok" once, twice maybe three times and then stops working properly....don't be surprised.  We REGULARLY get complaints from people who buy their product and contact us when they have problems with it.  We stand by the CrabHawk 110% of the time and if you ever have problems with manufactoring and materials......PLEASE....do your research before you spend your hard earned cash!!

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Hi Insayn,
The Crabhawk ads on "of -all-places as Amazon" appear to be legitimate.  They are the same crabhawk traps made in OR.  Here’s the url for a search of Google Images (you’re going to love this website). There are photos of the same paperwork for the product that are on Amazon's website and  also bunches of photos of the Crabhawk traps in action on the same page.  Sorry, I'm not sure how to send the photos.

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1011&bih=859&q=crabhawk&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Actually, after talking with and ordering two from the inventor earlier today (24OCT11), they're not the same. According to Steven in Oregon, he had Danielson making them for him, but cut them loose due to poor quality. He also said the ones Danielson's is selling (and using the CrabHawk name illegally) is of inferior quality, utilizing cheap materials, which explains the price difference. Prior to reading this thread, I had never heard of them, but followed up, did my research and should receive mine in a couple of days. Amazon says it takes two to four additional weeks to receive the ones they sell on their Web-site.

I'll be doing a review of sorts (minus the crabs) when they arrive. Hope to test them soon in the salt, but still learning about basic yak fishing and then, just added four Danielson Crab pots a couple weeks ago because crabbing sounded like a blast....when does it end?
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
No disrespect to Mr. Crabhawk........

Some of the Danielson ones may very well be inferior, but I purchased mine (3 for me and 2 for my dad) on a whim at BiMart as they were readily available.
If the original ones were there, I would have purchased those instead. 

Now back to inferiority, I have use mine many times in several ways (tied off to a dock and tossed, rod and reel, and dropped over board with two small floats to retrieve like the bigger crab rings) and other than needing some extra weight added in bay/river current they perform just fine for me.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Ranger Dave

• Salmon

For the record Bro, I'm not out to dis' anyone either. Mr Crabhawk (Steven) mentioned a few things Danielson had cut corners on and having never seen either example, other than the original mentioned in this thread and in use on Youtube, I never would have known they existed and the last thing I need to do is be in the middle of a patent war. I'm glad yours and your dad's are working out, but more than anything out of respect for you and insayn senior, as you seem like a decent kind of guy.

I want to try the Crabhawk and catch crabs from my kayak, which is why I initially bought the Danielson Crab Pots, but frankly, I really wanted to see up close and personal how they work as I'm a nut about gadgets. Maybe someday I'll build up enough "street cred" to hang with some of you and learn the ropes. For now its just me and I'm learning however I can, generally by trial, a shit load of error and thank the Kayak gods for this forum.  :notworthy:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

For the record Bro, I'm not out to dis' anyone either. Mr Crabhawk (Steven) mentioned a few things Danielson had cut corners on and having never seen either example, other than the original mentioned in this thread and in use on Youtube, I never would have known they existed and the last thing I need to do is be in the middle of a patent war. I'm glad yours and your dad's are working out, but more than anything out of respect for you and insayn senior, as you seem like a decent kind of guy.

I want to try the Crabhawk and catch crabs from my kayak, which is why I initially bought the Danielson Crab Pots, but frankly, I really wanted to see up close and personal how they work as I'm a nut about gadgets. Maybe someday I'll build up enough "street cred" to hang with some of you and learn the ropes. For now its just me and I'm learning however I can, generally by trial, a shit load of error and thank the Kayak gods for this forum.  :notworthy:

That's how we all started my man!

I'm a bit less concerned about warrenties and tearing things apart to see how they work, and possibly making something perform better.
You should see all the crap I did to my T-13 in it's first year of service.  Some of necessity, most "just because".  ;D

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
Timeline - Monday: Had just gotten off the phone with Steven (Mr Crabhawk) and told if I still ordered today and paid via PayPal, order would still ship out the same day. Tuesday's mail arrives (roughly 22 hours later) and a Priority package with my two Crabhawks is present and accounted for. Stoked (like a little kid on Christmas morning), I take them into the house, rip them open and examine every detail. Its a great design and I can't wait to get out and try them.