Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: INSAYN kayak hauling camp trailer.  (Read 27672 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Most of you may have seen or heard of my kayak trailer at one point or another in the last 2 years. This project has been a fun project to build and more fun to actually utilize. 

It has evolved through a few transformations during this time as my creativity and needs dictated.

Originally I built it to tow behind my truck camper to haul camping gear, firewood and kayaks with us.
The kayak racks are adjustable and allow for low height during travel, and popped up high to allow head room clearance around trailer at camp.

After towing it around for a summer, I found that the tongue weight was way too heavy and needed some surgery.
I moved the axle and fenders forward about 6 inches to better balance the trailer, and at the same time built a lid and added an Autohome "Maggiolina Range" Airtop roof top tent.  The tent was designed to go the roof rack of most SUV's, and custom trailers and endure extreme overland adventures in nearly any weather condition.  Oh, and added rear stabilizer jacks to make the unit rock solid while camping.

Next round of upgrades where adding lockable front side doors to access the trailer without having to unlock and lift the lid, as well as put diamond plate all the way around to add some bling.  Built a step that slings over the tire to aid in getting into the tent.  Also, changed the rack lift bars from steel to aluminum and made them longer to allow me to lift the kayaks high enough to pop the tent up underneath them.

Then I finally painted and urethane bedliner coated everything and headed for the desert.  Everything packed for the two+ weeks of vacation for my son and I.  The loaded trailer weighed in at 1850 lbs, which included nearly 40 gallons of water, full LP tank, tools, a milk crate full of canned goods, etc.....  Handled the 1350 mile trip in stride, and 350 miles of this trip was on gravel washboard roads, dirt roads, sage brush and sand.  No failures! 

At this point I am satisfied with where it is at, but do have a few more items in the future to add.  I plan to add a battery and wire the tent with 12v so I can recharge cell phone, and camera batteries at night, and have power to the interior light.  Also, considering adding a 2" receiver tube to the rear so I can put a removable bike rack back there.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Very Impressive !!!
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I love it! I wanted to do something similar with my trailer, but I have to think about it for awhile. 

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
 :o You almost need a manual for the features put into that beast!  ;D   

Does it have a name?
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
That is a work or art.  How was the road trip?

Boogie-D

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
i want one.. thats the slickest kayak trailer i have ever seen.. it would work so great for camping in hawaii.. when do they go on sale.. sign me up..  i will order one

Pelagic

• Sturgeon
One word.. AWESOME!!   Craig your work and skills always amazes! It inspires me to take on bigger and more complex "shop projects".  Love the tent, I can see one of those in my future.. 

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
   INSAYN,
  That is one of the most feature laden trailers I have ever seen.You certainly put a lot of thought and work into that unit.Very well done.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Justin

• Sturgeon
Very nicely done.  Looks great.

You might want to wire the 12V battery into the running lights so that it recharges when you are driving.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

You might want to wire the 12V battery into the running lights so that it recharges when you are driving.

I'm thinking solar charging.   ;)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Justin

• Sturgeon

Does that side of the state get enough sun for that?  You might have to drag it over here.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
:o You almost need a manual for the features put into that beast!  ;D   

Does it have a name?

No it doesn't yet.  Good point!

I'd like to get some large white vinyl name stickers made to put on the lower frame rail in front of the fenders.
Anyone have any name suggestions for this beast? 

Pixster

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2010
WOW! That is INSAYN-ly cool!

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Does that side of the state get enough sun for that?  You might have to drag it over here.

The only use for the 12v RV battery is to charge my cell phone, camera and run a tiny interior light in the tent so the draw on the battery is next to nothing. 
During my 2+ week trip I only used my Honda generator for about an hour to top off the battery.  I used the battery more on that trip to run my air compressor when I was getting back onto pavement.
I aired my tires down on the truck and trailer at least 5 or 6 times.  The normal use of this trailer would be one or two nights off the grid in any one place and the battery would be fine for more than 2 weeks use I'm sure.  A little solar panel tossed on top of the tent while camping would be about all the juice it would need.  If I get a roll up version of a solar panel, I then could incorporate that into my kayak camping gear for extended float trips to charge my 8amp/hour fish finder battery.  That battery could charge my cell and camera in the evening.