Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:16:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What bottom fishing rod/ reel do you use?  (Read 10009 times)

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Would that Abu 6500 be the C3 model? I'm looking at the 6501 (left hand crank). 

Are any of the cheaper Abu baitcasters decent reels, or should I just go with the proven, most popular model? I had to ask,  being as "frugal" as I am.

If you can be patient start an automatic search on eBay for the Abu you want.  I just scored a near new Abu 6601 C4 for a total $81 (includes shipping).  It took a couple of months, but no one was paying attention on New Years Day.

I like this line of reels a lot.  Easy to cast, stout enough to bottom fish, and simple enough to completely tear down and service/repair yourself.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks for the comments, demonick. Sounds like I can't go wrong with this reel. New one retails for $99 plus tax and shipping. I'm still researching and searching.

Now, does anyone have an opinion of "Whuppin' Sticks?"  Cabelas has a spinning combo on sale with a Salt Striker reel and whuppinstick for $65. I think the SS50 reel with the WSSMH90-2 (9' MH for 14-30# line) might be the ticket for casting those mini crab traps off the jetty and the fishing piers. Might also also be a tolerable rod for fishing live greenling for lings on those rare occasions that I still hike out on the jetty, since I wouldn't have to worry about nicking the cheap rod on the rocks.  I like old glass rods for out there. I probably should just go around and check some yard sales.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 11:36:18 AM by ConeHeadMuddler »
ConeHeadMuddler

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I run a shimano trevala MH and a avet sx two speed.  Works GREAT!  Avet is a bit pricey and the Shimano runs around $100 bucks here in Alaska. 

If you haven't tried it yet, the butterfly jigs and the williamson speed jigs with the assist hooks more often than not outfish bait for me.  That's saying something because I am a hardcore believer in bait.  I think the wide assortment of available gel scents has made them even more effective.  Little off topic but that's what the rod is specifically designed for. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Abking

• Lingcod
  • I put on the Gimme Shelter Tournament Series
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
I run with Ugly Stiks and old Penn with mono and only mono.  Some day I hope to get more sophisticated, but I've boated more big salmon, lingcod and a halibut than I've broken off, so I'm happy. 
See you at Gimme Shelter

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Thanks for the comments, demonick. Sounds like I can't go wrong with this reel. New one retails for $99 plus tax and shipping. I'm still researching and searching.

Now, does anyone have an opinion of "Whuppin' Sticks?"  Cabelas has a spinning combo on sale with a Salt Striker reel and whuppinstick for $65. I think the SS50 reel with the WSSMH90-2 (9' MH for 14-30# line) might be the ticket for casting those mini crab traps off the jetty and the fishing piers. Might also also be a tolerable rod for fishing live greenling for lings on those rare occasions that I still hike out on the jetty, since I wouldn't have to worry about nicking the cheap rod on the rocks.  I like old glass rods for out there. I probably should just go around and check some yard sales.

I have a couple Whuppin sticks. I use one for trolling for bass, walleye, trout, and pike.  It is paired with a Salt Striker ss-30.  I also use it in the bays for serf perch.  The 8 footer was my back-up sturgeon rod until it got promoted to primary after hearing that "sploosh" sound behind me on the Columbia.  It is paired with a Saltstriker SS-65.  I have three of those reels.  They are awesome.  I even replaced the one that made the "sploosh" sound.  That was an SS-50.  It worked great for sturgeon and they are lighter than a lot of the round reels.

I have an SS-40 on an 8 foot salmon rod which I use for rock/bottom fishing. I also use the SS-30 on my Berkley Buzz Ramsey Side drifting rod for attempting to catch Steelhead.  I haven't got one yet because I haven't made a thousand casts yet.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:11:28 PM by craig »

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I run with Ugly Stiks and old Penn with mono and only mono.  Some day I hope to get more sophisticated, but I've boated more big salmon, lingcod and a halibut than I've broken off, so I'm happy.
Dude, you're so old school. ;P
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

ConeHeadMuddler

• non-competitor
  • Sturgeon
  • Smells like low tide
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Thanks craig and Abking. I am likely to pick up the SS50 reel and whuppin stick that I mentioned. I even feel better now that I know I'm not alone using old Penns on "lower end" or old glass rods.

I thought that "thousand casts" deal was only for fly fishers. Maybe I'm thinking ten thousand. Still, it should be less than a thousand if you're side drifting roe.
ConeHeadMuddler

anything