Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 09:36:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:12:10 PM]

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: partridge bank sat. 14th  (Read 5871 times)

KillFish

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Gona try in get me a halibut again this saturday. My cousin and I are going out to Partridge bank which I hear has been good. Its our 2nd time out and I'm feeling lucky this time. If anyone else is interested of going out, we will be there.

fishnut

• Salmon
  • 1st Recipient of 2012 A$$hat Award
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009
What time is launch and from where? Might want to join in and make it a hobie Day.

KillFish

• Perch
Launching from intersection of Hastie Lake Rd and W Beach Rd at about 7am. Start fishing about 8:30-9:00 after a 5mile pedal out to the bank.

• Date Registered: Nov 2009
Hey Killfish,

I don't think I can make it tomorrow, but I'd be interested in joining if you try again before the season closes.

How many ounces of lead were you using last weekend? I have a fairly stout rod that I think could work for halibut, but not absolutely sure.

Thanks,
John

fishnut

• Salmon
The Three Amigo's(myself, Killfish and soon to be member Blowjib,has an Adventure and loves to sail) launched from a primitive launch below Oak Harbor and ran(pedalled)out the 5 miles to Partridge Bank. Water/weather conditions were actually great after some previous concerns. Located the drift on GPS and were able to stay in contact with the bottom the whole day with 16oz of lead. Vhf radio was indicating a very slow Butt take but we endured dropping down a white squid with either whole or sea salt cured Herring
strips. Unfortunately, no takers. We were out for a good 7 hrs and a great topic of conversation was methods of taking a leak on the water. Relief zippers rule with a plastic qt. milk jug with the handle attached
and the top cut down to accomodate size(sorry). We had a great time becoming friends and shooting the breeze while drifting thru the " Hotspot". I actually got boarded by Fish /Wildlife or Sheriffs Dept and was checked for pinched barbs and license. They couldn't believe I was way out there in the Yak but complimented me for having all the proper safety gear(inluding VHF,hint/hint). Now all we need is to land a
Halibut. We figured all in all we pedalled 15-20 miles for the day. Hopefully Killfish will post a few pics.

KillFish

• Perch
This is probably old news now, but better late than never. Is was nice to finally meet someone from the forum "Fishnut". Weather was a lot nicer than what we thought it would be. The current was pretty strong out there. You might get a 5min drift across the bank, than spend about 15-30min reeling up and pedaling back up current to do it again. My cousin caught something but we couldn't tell if it was a Lingcod, Cabazon, or large Bull head. It was a fun experience but I probably wouldn't do it again unless the Halibutt were off the hook.

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I think that's the biggest sculpin I've ever seen.

Partridge Bank is big- I'm surprised to hear that you drifted off it so quickly. Were you drifting from the top, down to the west/sw? How deep was it where you dropped in?

Nomadic

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2007
Yeah, that is a large sculpin.  Did it get ate?  I hear they taste very good (like a cabezon), but their meat to body size ratio is very small so people don't usually bother.

KillFish

• Perch
We were fishing the north west tip of the bank. Starting in about 160ft we would quickly drift to about 320ft to the east on the incoming tide. Over the "shallower" water the current was stronger/faster, then it would slow down over the deeper water.
Thinking it might be a toothless lingcod he let the fish go. He caught in over 120ft of water, the rangers were in the area, and he didn't want to take the chance. That fishes head/mouth was bigger than its body, it was like some sort of Pokemon type fish. I love fishing Puget Sound or the straight in this case, you never know what you will pull up.

fishnut

• Salmon
Thanks for the pics and the company on that trip Jeremy. We did get some peddaling in, didn't we. I haven't seen Blowjib sign up yet. Get his Butt moving or i'll steal his name! >:D Let's hookup some more in the future. As I found out, noone was catching Butts in that area that day. Oh well. that's fishin'.

anything