Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:38:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 08:45:55 AM]

[April 26, 2024, 02:11:19 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Poll

Where should we hold our PDX mini-tourney on April 19th.

Benson Lake - In Gorge near Mult. Falls
Henry Hagg Lake - Washington County near Forest Grove
Bethany Pond - Hwy 26th & Beaverton
Vernonia Pond - Vernonia...duh
Other - please specify

Linked Events

• PDX Mini Tourney: April 19, 2008 - April 20, 2008

Topic: PDX Crew Mini-tournament  (Read 11765 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
OK, OK, I could probably kick down $350 since we're fishing buddies and all.

Maybe the Portland crew's next trip ought to be something a little less iffy than salmon.  Sturgeon?  Bass on the Willamette or Tualatin?

How about a mini tournament on one of the small neighborhood lakes?  Everybody brings $15 and each person pays $5 to the person who catches the 1st fish, $5 to the person who catches the biggest fish and $5 to the person who catches the most fish.  Heck, maybe we can get Allen to sponser it and throw in a fully loaded yak as grand prize?  ;)
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
OK, OK, I could probably kick down $350 since we're fishing buddies and all.

Maybe the Portland crew's next trip ought to be something a little less iffy than salmon.  Sturgeon?  Bass on the Willamette or Tualatin?

How about a mini tournament on one of the small neighborhood lakes?  Everybody brings $15 and each person pays $5 to the person who catches the 1st fish, $5 to the person who catches the biggest fish and $5 to the person who catches the most fish.  Heck, maybe we can get Allen to sponser it and throw in a fully loaded yak as grand prize?  ;)

I'm ready for a mini-tourney...Nothing like some competition to help with the learning curve.  8)

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I'd be up for a PDX crew mini-tourney.  Have a lake in mind?

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I'd be up for a PDX crew mini-tourney.  Have a lake in mind?

You Oregonians think small.  Want a big derby down there?  Let figure out how to make it happen!!!

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Allen, I think we can/should do both.  My take on this is that the mini-tourney would be more of an MBF (money between friends) team building event for the Portland crew.  During the event we would talk about hosting a larger tournament later in the year where we could defend our local honor against the hordes from the north.  Besides, do you really want to drive all the way down here to have a trout tournament on a small pond?

Brian

• Date Registered: Sep 2007
Large, Small either works for me. I think it sounds like fun and would love to participate. 

Only lakes I know that are open that you can get to around here currently is Hagg (Bass & Trout) or Benson in Gorge (bass?).   Those mountain ones still seem a bit "white".   I know there are some coastal lakes nearby that might be good also, but the drive might put some folks off.  I'm sure there are others that I dont' know about.

Curious what "Neighborhood" lakes Spot had in mind?  I'm picturing pulling a carp out of some golf course.

This weekend is Drano (12-13th), maybe the weekend of the (19th-20th)?  Personally I'm off to Diamond Lake for their openeing on the 26th (provided it's not iced over). 
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
I agree with Brian.  Let's go forward with the mini-tournament and discuss where/when we could host something bigger.

As for where, I did some checking and I think the best bet for access and fish availability would be either Bethany Pond (185th and Hwy26) or Dorman's Pond (Hwy 6 about 5 miles past Banks), final vote would be Vernonia pond.  Sorry, I don't know of anything on the East side but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm leaning towards Bethany because there are some fat largemouths in there, it's just big enough for yaks and they stock it with trout a couple of times each spring.  What do you think guys?

Allen - Could you break this off to a new thread?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:09:50 PM by Spot »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Spot, I've been wanting to exercise my new moderator powers for awhile now.  I've split this topic off as suggested.

Brian

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Spot, I've been wanting to exercise my new moderator powers for awhile now.  I've split this topic off as suggested.

Brian

Feel the power Brian, feel it!!!   Muahahahah!!!  >:D

-Allen

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
How about the weekend after Drano (4/19 or 4/20)???

I'd love to give you guys a clinic while I'm in town :laughing7:
NOTE: trash talking mode engaged

NOTE also that when I talk trash it almost guarantees eveyone will catch fish (and  I won't) ::)

I'm leaning towards Bethany because there are some fat largemouths in there, it's just big enough for yaks and they stock it with trout a couple of times each spring. 

Bethany is big enough for maybe 3 yaks then you'd start bumping into each other (literally!)  ;D   

Actually, a day at Bethany would be a hoot and there could be some HUGE Large Mouths in there eating the stocked trout (Castaic stylee!!). So who's going to be the first to toss a 2lbs swimbait?

Here's a link to the Stocking scheduals. It's scheduled for a 1000 on or around the 14th. Benson and Hagg look like good possibilities as well.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/trout_stocking_schedules/2008/willamette/north_willamette.asp

« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 01:42:19 PM by Fishesfromtupperware »
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

• Date Registered: Sep 2007
Monday the April 14th they are stocking 4000 in Benson Lake (Near Rooster Rock park in Gorge), 1000 in Bethany Pond, 2000 in Dorman Pond and 7000 in Hagg Lake.  If we do the weekend of the 19th we may be able to capitalize on the stocking.  Althoug I see some stockings on the 28th also.

Don't know if Vernonia is stocked by DFW they weren't on the offical list
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/fishing/trout_stocking_schedules/2008/willamette/north_willamette.asp

I haven't been to or fished Bethany or Dorman's pond.  I see Dormans is smaller and further away but is getting more fish next week.  Might be fun to "take over" a small lake.  Although if Bethany is too small, Dormans might be even worse.  Hmmm Hagg?
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
There aren't many ponds on the East Side until you get out to Gresham and I know nothing about them.   Henry Hagg appeals to me because of it's larger size and higher species diversity, but I'd be up for anything.

I checked the trout stocking schedules..

Bethany Pond is scheduled to be stocked the week of April 14th with 1000 trout and the week of April 28th with another 2000 trout.  Looking on the map, Bethany Pond seems to be about 1000 ft long and 200 ft wide.  We could probably start a whirlpool if we all trolled in the same direction long enough.

Dorman Pond is getting 2000 the week of April 14th and 3000 the week of April the 28th.

Brian

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
My vote for date would be to do it on the 19th or 20th of April to take advantage of Wali being in town. 

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
My vote for date would be to do it on the 19th or 20th of April to take advantage of Wali being in town. 

Drano should be stocked with 10,000 springers by then.   :)

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
I think once Drano gets well "stocked", I'll be avoiding the chaos of weekends and will fish it on weekdays.  What I really need is a Drano like fishery that I can fish without getting a Washington license.  Maybe I should just fork over the dough for a full year's license.