Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:06:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: DVIDS Article from HOW NWest Event Saturday June 22  (Read 2701 times)

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
We should have another article come out on Friday in the post newspaper, the Northwest Guardian.  I will be sure to post that up as well when it gets published.
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Very nice. The whole time I was stationed at Lewis I never saw that lake. It's cool the troops are having a good time. Well done.

IslandHoppa

• iHoppa
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Good job, Dino and HOW team!
iHop

"Of all the things that wisdom provides to help one live one's entire life in happiness, the greatest by far is the possession of friendship." Epicurus

Hobie Tandem Island. OK Tetra 12, Jackson Coosa

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
this is the text and link to the article published in yesterdays Northwest Guardian;

http://www.nwguardian.com/2013/06/27/15788/kayak-fishing-good-therapy-for.html

Kayak fishing good therapy for wounded
Service members, family members spend day fishing on American Lake thanks to nonprofit organization

By Dean Siemon/Northwest Guardian
Published: 11:36AM June 27th, 2013

Dean Siemon/Northwest Guardian
Several wounded active duty and retired service members took part in a Heroes on the Water kayak fishing event Saturday on American Lake.
Many injured service members often go through a daily routine of hospital visits, treatments and isolation while they recover.

Heroes on the Water, a nationwide organization, provides a temporary escape from the realities of their injuries with kayak, canoe and fishing events for active duty or retired military members.

The Heroes on the Water Northwest Chapter invited service members from Joint Base Lewis-McChord and nearby communities for fun outdoors, including kayak fishing on American Lake Saturday.

“Just being able to do something other than sitting in their hospital rooms or doing their treatments,” said Dino Abulencia, Northwest Chapter coordinator.

Sixteen service members and a few family members piled into 16 boats loaded with fishing gear for a day on the water.

Each kayak had all the gear needed to be on the water — life vests, fishing rods, bait and more.

There were also eight volunteer guides on the lake to help the service members when necessary. Volunteers included active duty service members from JBLM, as well as civilians.

“I was already kayak fishing every weekend,” said 1st Lt. Filiberto Martinez of the 201st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade. “Why not volunteer, show people the sport and then take wounded Soldiers out for a good day of fishing. Let them relax, have a good time and just share it with them.”

Going out on the water was therapeutic for Master Sgt. Kevin Fitzpatrick, from the Warrior Transition Battalion at Madigan Army Medical Center. There haven’t been many chances for him to get away from the stress after cervical spinal fusion surgery on his neck, except when he goes out on the water in a kayak.

“When you get out there, it’s nice, calm, cool and collected,” Fitzpatrick said. “You just sit there and enjoy yourself. You forget what’s going on and just relax.”

Other kayakers suffering traumatic brain injuries, concussions and PTSD found relief on the lake. Harry Gonzalez, a retired Army lieutenant colonel, called the event “soothing” and “relaxing.”

“There’s nothing to be concerned about,” Gonzalez said. “It’s just you on the water.”

Gonzalez brought his wife, Alisa, who said she’s used to being on the sidelines while her husband is invited to community events for wounded warriors.

“You can’t rebuild just the Soldier,” Abulencia said. “The family is part of the rebuilding.”

The event included one less meal to prepare for wounded warrior families by providing a barbecue lunch.

“For me, I also want to make sure they come and enjoy the food,” Abulencia said, who cooks the meal with his wife at all of the organization’s events.

The Northwest Chapter plans a crab pot event this summer, for which they’ll cook crab they catch later in July. Other planned fishing trips will go after pink and chum salmon.

Dean Siemon: dean.siemon@nwguardian.com
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

t_l_2_1

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010