Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Common Carp  (Read 6282 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
16lbs on a 5w fly rod, 5lb flouro leader.

Do you know how long I've waited for an NWKA post about fly-fishing for carp from a kayak? SWEET!

One of my goals this year is carp on the fly - can't wait.

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
That's awesome!! Well I think that carp can be kinda dumb, they school up and suck air on the surface, when I see this happen I carefully get as close as I can and start laying the fly in front of them, Mormon girl is a favorite smaller the better, they suck it up and I don't think they even realize it until you set the hook....
 The one in the pick was actually caught on an olive zonker while bass fishing...it thought I had a double digit smallie, but nope, 45 mins later I landed that big stinky thing..lol

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
And ya use backing if your worried cuz when they run they run!! The beast in the pic spooled me 2 or 3 times, no backing on my reel...can't believe I didn't loose it.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Are carp any good to eat or are they a catch and release fish.  I grew up on a lake with a ton of carp but have never known what bait to use.  I tried breadballs and worms to no avail.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Ah the bane of the carp angler.... Everyone who sees you always asks... "Are they good to eat?"

The answer is yes and no...
They are the probably the most eaten freshwater fish on the planet as well as the most farmed fish in the world.   They are extremely popular in Asia and Central Europe.     

That said, they are a bit oily and difficult to clean due to the many fine bones they have.  With access to the ocean, trout and salmon we really don't have to bother with eating carp.  Most people in the US do catch and release with carp or catch and eradicate because they are a non-native species to this continent.

A quick search on YouTube will give you tons of techniques for catching them. 

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Ah the bane of the carp angler.... Everyone who sees you always asks... "Are they good to eat?"

The answer is yes and no...
They are the probably the most eaten freshwater fish on the planet as well as the most farmed fish in the world.   They are extremely popular in Asia and Central Europe.     

That said, they are a bit oily and difficult to clean due to the many fine bones they have.  With access to the ocean, trout and salmon we really don't have to bother with eating carp.  Most people in the US do catch and release with carp or catch and eradicate because they are a non-native species to this continent.

A quick search on YouTube will give you tons of techniques for catching them. 

Brian

I am always impressed with the knowledge this board has!  Thank you for the background info!  I will check you tube but will practice C&R.  I do wonder if they would be good smoked.  I own a traeger and love to smoke meats.  When i do fish i usually have to stick to store bought salmon.  I have not been able to go salmon fishing in Cali since i left portland.  I am stoked to be moving back next month and hopefully i will get on a few salmon!
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Are carp any good to eat or are they a catch and release fish.

One of the articles on carp fishing that I read recently said the guy was curious like you.  He filleted the fish only keeping the whitest meat.  He cooked it up in a beer batter.  Everyone got to try it.....nobody had seconds.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Well I think that carp can be kinda dumb...

I hear a lot of people say that... all I know is the ones I've been targeting seem to outsmart me most days. What does that say about me?! haha but I know sometimes they can be very easy to catch. I've been targeting them in very shallow water when the tide floods the backwaters of the Columbia and Willamette and they are skittish, wary critters. I know they're trash fish but I have a lot of respect for them. Also I wouldn't be surprised if they're sucking in your flies on purpose; they eat a lot of insects and if there is a hatch they'll slurp along the top - great time to target with the fly, obviously. I've seen videos of guys targeting them with sinking flies too.

One of my favorite catches of 2015 was sight-casting carp in 6 inches of water (spinning, not fly). Powerful fish.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 06:42:21 PM by Captain Redbeard »

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
Yes I shouldn't say that so lightly, the dumb part that is, very powerful fish and I have caught them while bass fishing often, even on a crankbait.
 I have tried during a mayfly hatch which can be crazy to say the least, it like it's snowing mayflies, but never done well during a hatch....not like trout I guess.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
We used to fish for them all the time in PA.  My aunt had a boat dock on the Allegheny River that we'd fish from.  We did well with dough balls or cheese balls.  A lot of people used to eat them but we never did.  C&R only for us.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Carp are fun on light gear! I used to take my son Zach carp fishing in the Willamette here in Salem. We fished calm deep water around early April ish. We chummed with corn, then I'd brine some corn in cherry cool aid, Karos syrup, and a little Anis from the baking section. We would use normal corn for chum then put the flavored corn on a tiny hook with a slider set up on the bottom. They respond pretty well to that. When they bite it's a really light slow pull at the tip of the rod, then it reminds me of fighting a salmon in super slow motion. We always tossed them back. Later in the month when we head up the slough for smallmouth they are up in the shallow water we could never catch them, they spook if you get near them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
 :police: Just a head's up: chumming is strictly illegal in all freshwater in Oregon.  :police:

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/restrictions/  (#6)

Casey

• Salmon
:police: Just a head's up: chumming is strictly illegal in all freshwater in Oregon.  :police:

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/fishing/restrictions/  (#6)
I didn't even think about it, hell people shoot them with bows... Thanks for the heads up. They are a fish I haven't targeted in a few years, but it will be something to consider if I get a wild hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeverTooOld

• Herring
  • Practice makes real.
Met a gent from the UK this summer while on a cruise who was wearing a Kelley green shirt declaring "I Fish Therefore I am!" When I asked him what he fished for, he told me "carp" and went on to explain how he and many other Brits revere the lowly (to us) carp. The way he spoke of his passion, gear and techniques gave him that look... you know, the one YOU see in the mirror when you need to go fishing.... http://www.olivemeadlake.co.uk/galleries/

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 03:06:48 PM by NeverTooOld »
Practice makes real!

anything