Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:03:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Looking for kayak fishing guide/friend on Kauai  (Read 8871 times)

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Looks like I'll be on Kauai for a week or so with my wife in May (probably) 2014.

I am consulting with The Googles, but I figured I'd ask on here if anyone has any recommendations for some kayak fishing on Kauai.

I am not stuck on it being an officially sanctioned guide. If it's someone who knows what they're doing and can lend some kayaks or tell us where to rent them, and lend us some gear and show us the ropes, that would be fine.

Alternately, if I can't figure out anything that sounds good kayak-wise, I'd be up for a powerboat charter. I'd definitely like some recommendations on that; the last time I did that from there the captain and crew were great but it was shared catch (is that typical there?) and besides we didn't catch anything the entire day, but still paid full price. LAME.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
... besides we didn't catch anything the entire day, but still paid full price. LAME.

Never been to HI, but been on a number of charters where nothing was caught and no refunds (partial or otherwise) were even discussed let alone offered.

I've heard that some HI charters are starting to let their customers keep whatever they catch, but that is still not the norm, or wasn't a couple years ago when I last looked into it.  Personally I have no interest in paying to be a deckhand for a day in a commercial fishing operation.  So, if/when I do get HI I'll be looking strictly for a charter that has a policy of letting everyone keep their catch.  If I can't find one I won't go fishing.

One of our members here lives in HI.  Boogie-D I think is his handle.  Pretty sure he's not on Kauai.  I think he's on Hawaii (the big island), but regardless he's probably your best source for info.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 12:53:24 PM by sumpNZ »
2012 ORC 5th Place

chumchum

• Rockfish
  • OK Prowler 13
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
If you need more recommendations I would also post on NCKA. I know of a few guys who posted on their HI adventures and there are a few native to the islands on there as well. Hope this helps.

Wes

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Aquahunters could be a resource, too. I looked for kayak guides on Kauai a while back and did not find one . We are also going next year. I believe there were some rentals or kayak tours there if I remember right.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Check with the Plenty Pupule store in Lihue ... http://plentypupule.com/

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Check with the Plenty Pupule store in Lihue ... http://plentypupule.com/

-Allen

Thank you, will do!

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
... besides we didn't catch anything the entire day, but still paid full price. LAME.

Never been to HI, but been on a number of charters where nothing was caught and no refunds (partial or otherwise) were even discussed let alone offered.

I've heard that some HI charters are starting to let their customers keep whatever they catch, but that is still not the norm, or wasn't a couple years ago when I last looked into it.  Personally I have no interest in paying to be a deckhand for a day in a commercial fishing operation.  So, if/when I do get HI I'll be looking strictly for a charter that has a policy of letting everyone keep their catch.  If I can't find one I won't go fishing.

One of our members here lives in HI.  Boogie-D I think is his handle.  Pretty sure he's not on Kauai.  I think he's on Hawaii (the big island), but regardless he's probably your best source for info.

Appreciate the info and perspective. I've got to agree on the deckhand bit; I guess we're spoiled here in the PNW but I thought that was weird. It's like college: Wait, I'm paying YOU, right?   >:D

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thank you C_Run and chumchum - good ideas.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Huh?  Why would a charter have any obligation to do a refund for a bad day of fishing?

Boogie lives on the North Shore of Oahu, not Big Island.

-Allen

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011

Huh?  Why would a charter have any obligation to do a refund for a bad day of fishing?

Ummm, that was my point.  Not sure where a misunderstanding could have come from.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon

-Allen

I wasn't suggesting that they do, but I'm also not going back to a guide who can't get a single fish in the boat while fishing in paradise. I know you're never guaranteed a fish on a fishing trip of any kind, but seriously, I'd have settled for anything.

TMyers

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
As far as Kauai fishing goes I would recommend Capt Tim Hale. Great guy and we caught a 500 Black Marlin as well as a 43 pound Mahi.

Fishing in Hawaii is just like anywhere else, some days are good and some are bad and time of the year if you are targeting specific fish. Most captains I have gone out with will let you keep some of the fish but I also tip rather well.

As far as Kayak fishing I'm no help at all because I just got into it.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Also, don't overlook shore based fishing. You always get something there but a little study ahead of time helps. We only go with carry on luggage but manage to fit my pack rod and some tackle in.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon

Ummm, that was my point.  Not sure where a misunderstanding could have come from.

Wasn't suggesting it wasn't your point.  Just replying to the chain.

-Allen

Merz

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2010
Im planning a trip to Hawaii also, maybe around the same time. I found out that my girlfriends sister is moving there in January to go to college, and the first thing that popped into my head was "Im going fishing in Hawaii!" I've been searching for kayak fishing guides but havent seen any yet. I was hoping to find information online about how and where to fish. Then i could bring a rod with me and just rent a kayak and fish on my own. Im sure that would be way cheaper than getting a guide. I dont know anything about Hawaii, so i'm not sure how safe that would be. I may settle for fishing from a boat. I'm sure that isnt cheap either.
-Evan
1st 2016 AOTY
1st 2018 SBAOTD
1st 2019 BCS
1st 2022 SBAOTD
1st 2023 BCS
1st 2023 OKBF Davis Lake Flying Kayak Open
1st 2023 SBAOTD

anything