Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:51:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: HOBIE HULL INTEGRITY:  (Read 4821 times)

FLYRODR

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
After returning to the launch area today, I went to lift my Hobie Outback out of the water and pulled a muscle in my chest...  Come to realize I've got alot of water INSIDE the hull.  After getting most of it drained, I got back to the mother-in-law's and contacted my Hobie dealer.  He indicated that they occasionally get some boats back that have fractures surrounding the drive unit opening.  I haven't been able to locate any visible fractures.  Anyone out there experience this problem??????  The dealer says to bring the boat in for fix/replacement.  At least they're being great about keeping me happy...
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
This was a problem with their yaks back in '05 and before but they've done a good job fixing their mold since then. I haven't heard of many of these issues w/ the '06 and later but like your dealer said, Hobie's happy to take care of any issues.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2007
Did you tip it over, or where the waters rough?

I rolled mine two weeks ago, and it was upside down for about 3 minutes while I swam and pulled it to shore... 

When I got to the launch, I found about 2 gallons of water in it.  I suspect the rudder cable holes allowed a steady strean in when submerged, and the hatch covers are not water tight, and whe unside down, allow water in that would normally run off...

I suspect is the water is rough, that wave action all day could splash water through the rudder cable openings, and after several hours, would result in quite a lots of water....  Also, launching stern first, submerging the same openings could result in water..

As Zeelander said, look at the Mirage Drive anchoring area for cracks...  Or look to see it my observations might have been a factor...

YotF

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
How much water? (roughly)

And like Zee said, the older models had some problems with cracks in the drive well.
I have an '06 Adventure and received a retrofit/repair kit in the mail with new bolts and a fiberglass reinforcement piece.  One of these days I should install it. ;D

The inside of my hull is bone dry after some ROUGH conditions. I have not spent any time upside down (in this boat at least*), but I'd doubt that the rudder lines would let much water in. That said, I've sunk another kayak with small leaks around the "scuppers".

In any event, Hobie usually has GREAT customer service and take care of their problems.

*Actually, there was the time at Pacific City ,,,,
but I thought that was a Huli dancing contest. :-\

(glad that vid disappeared) ::)
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

FLYRODR

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
I have a feeling Mr. Z. Lander's notion is the right one...  I didn't swamp the boat, water was smooth, hatches tight, yet when I went to lift the thing out, I must have drained a gallon of water.  Anyway, I'll be dropping it off at the dealership on the way home tomorrow.  BY the way, fishing was non-existent around the mouth of the Yak and on the Columbia.  I was marking fish but don't know what kind.  Some were suspended, others hugging the bottom.  But nothing biting and no one else out there wetting a line.  I'm going home, parking myself at my tying table, and pound out all my flies for next spring!!!!!!!!!
"FLYFISH FOREVER"

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I suspect is the water is rough, that wave action all day could splash water through the rudder cable openings, and after several hours, would result in quite a lots of water....  Also, launching stern first, submerging the same openings could result in water..

YotF

You know funny enough that has happened to me in my Outback. I was on the on SF Bay for a really long time and anchored up at the stern. There was constant chop bouncing off the stern and when I got back to the car I emptied a lot of water out of the hull. Thanks for bringing that back to my memory YOTF!

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod

YotF

You know funny enough that has happened to me in my Outback. I was on the on SF Bay for a really long time and anchored up at the stern. There was constant chop bouncing off the stern and when I got back to the car I emptied a lot of water out of the hull. Thanks for bringing that back to my memory YOTF!

Z

Hey Zee,

How do I get the Hobie Fishing Team Logo at the signature like you do?  I want to keep my avatar of me with my largest fish to date.

YotF

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
YotF,
I went ahead and added the logo to your signature.  The signature is an option in your  profile and a little knowledge of HTML code lets you put the logo and link in there.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
YotF,
I went ahead and added the logo to your signature.  The signature is an option in your  profile and a little knowledge of HTML code lets you put the logo and link in there.

Brian

Ummm ... you mean BBC codes.  Just like you can have BBC codes in a regular forum post, you can also use BBC codes in your signature to "make it pretty".

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
YotF,

Brian

Ummm ... you mean BBC codes.  I know you know that Brian.   ;)  Just pointing it out to the other users.  Just like you can have BBC codes in a regular forum post, you can also use BBC codes in your signature to "make it pretty".

-Allen

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Thanks for pointing that out Allen, I mis-spoke-typed (whatever).

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008

*Actually, there was the time at Pacific City ,,,,
but I thought that was a Huli dancing contest. :-\

(glad that vid disappeared) ::)

>:D funny you shuld mention that.. while wandering thru pacific city the friday of our event, i came across this box of old vhs and dvd's marked "Misc." in the thrift store.......picked up the whole thing for under $5.00  ::) ;D
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

YakontheFly

• Clouser Meister
  • Lingcod
YotF,

Brian

Thanks Bro!

YotF

anything