Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:00:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:44:22 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Poll

Do you pedal or paddle

Pedal
Paddle
Both

Topic: How many of you paddle??  (Read 73200 times)

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
I swing whichever way is most effective for the purpose I am using it for.  Allegiance to the sport doesn't mean only using one kind of boat, a broad repitoire of abilities and capabilities means a much wider scope of situations that you can effectively fish.

I agree. 

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have been a whitewater kayaker since 1985, and I own four whitewater kayaks.  When I began kayak fishing, I bought a 13' Trident paddle kayak.  Last year I bought a 13' Revolution pedal kayak.  At this point (a) I paddle when whitewater kayaking, (b) I paddle my Trident when spearfishing, when fishing on rivers, and sometimes when fishing on lakes, and (c) at this point I prefer to pedal my Revolution when fishing on lakes, due to its greater speed, reduced effort, availability of hands-free fishing, greater ability to hold the kayak stationary over the bottom for jigging, and the ability to carry bigger downriggers.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 03:07:18 PM by pmmpete »

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
 Occasionally I have to paddle backwards in my Hobies.  ;)  But in all seriousness,  I do both.  I have a couple cedar strip boats I love to paddle and they are each about 35 lbs so I can carry them anywhere.  I have not used either for over a year because I loaned the seats for them to other people.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 08:30:30 PM by craig »

CRV83

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I ain't no pedal pusher!  Paddle all the way!   :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 04:00:00 PM by CRV83 »
2009 Tarpon 160 Angler SOT

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Two out backs and a mini-X.  I think I was every bit as successful paddling as I was pedaling. I'm a HUGE proponent of hands free fishing.  But on a per trip basis I did every bit as well in my mini-x (fishing saltwater, no less) as I do my Hobies. I think success is more a function of planning and effort as are many things in life...but dang, I LOVE the efficiency if the mirage drives...especially in windy conditions.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
almost forgot to take my South Sound shot :spittake:
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Paddle, '08 T15 when I can get out and away from all consuming work supporting our troops,  or the doc says I'm cleared for exercise again.
Had an I9s that worked out ok for small water fishing

Prefer the paddle. like the. workout .  Hobies seati g and pedal position seem awkward to me and aggravate the spinal injury.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 05:37:45 PM by [WR] »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Well, i'm still putting my stuff together to fish off mine (Elie Gulf 120XL), but purely a paddler here...   I'd love to give a pedal boat a try but haven't had a chance yet.

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
That Elie always looked like a nice All purpose boat when I saw the in stores. Should be a greaone to pass down thru the family.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
Paddle the F-N-D! One day I'll peddle...but for now...
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Paddle the F-N-D! One day I'll peddle...but for now...

Nothing wrong with a F'n'D! That was my first boat, and will always have a spot in my quiver!  I'm sure pelagic would agree with me too!;D
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Nangusdog

• Lingcod
  • Live to fish, fish to live
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
There's a time and place for both pedals and paddles...I have four boats, two with mirage drives, a short river boat and a long sea kayak. I will say I get much more use out of the mirage drive boats as it's just easier for me to fish without a paddle in my hands. for example, if I'm out on the ocean bottom fishing and get hung up, I can quickly change directions and get "upstream" of the snag in a flash...without having to put my rod down. On the other hand, If I'm fishing a river, I wouldn't want turbo fins hanging down under my boat.

As much as my wife would like me to, it would be narrow minded of me to limit myself to one type of boat.

I also use both spinning and casting reels... and have a jeep, a motorcycle and a family car.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 11:55:40 AM by Nangusdog »
Gordon

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7QYFPLqHbdZIJblTDhgAuQ

Hobie Outback x2 (for fishing)
WS Tsunami 140 (for paddling, wishing I were fishing)
Old Town Dirigo 120 (for rivers)

Fiskari

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
Both, paddle for touring, ww, and multiday, pedals for fish, photo and leisurely floating. 3 of 9 are pedaled.

Ranger Dave

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I swing whichever way is most effective for the purpose I am using it for.  Allegiance to the sport doesn't mean only using one kind of boat, a broad repertoire of abilities and capabilities means a much wider scope of situations that you can effectively fish.
Nicely stated Yakbum, I'm getting all misty eyed  ::) I chose "Both" because I finally have both options available. My kayaking started with paddling my Ocean Kayak Trident T-11, but most of the guys I hung out with had Hobies, so I always wondered. Well, I bought a Hobie Revo 13 last year in need of some TLC, but haven't been in it yet.  :o Moving back to the PNW very soon, that will change as I plan to get back to my home waters and chasing fish again. As you've stated, I will peddle or paddle, whichever is most effective for the purpose I am using it for.
Retired Army - 67N/67V/67R/15R