Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:03:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Poll

Do you pedal or paddle

Pedal
Paddle
Both

Topic: How many of you paddle??  (Read 73303 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I do both.  might be due to the fact that I'm female and I can't decide.

Pedalling is great for hands free and using my leg strength since I have weenie arms, but there is no replacement for the paddle style kayak.  Guess I'll always have at least two kayaks because I can't decide.

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I paddle my Native Ultimate around and my arms get tired. I have fished with Hobie owners and have found a couple of minor advantages to paddling. The reason I have keenly noticed these minor advantages is because I want to offset the profound jealousy and remorse I have for not having a mirage drive boat. Though I am a Native owner, I would not buy their pedal-yak over a mirage-drive.
I would never take my Ultimate out in the big blue but I fish and crab in the bays quite a bit. When I am on anchor fishing out of the Ultimate, I have no complaints. Anytime I am trolling or fighting wind or current I wish I was peddling. Anytime I have to travel more than a few miles in a day I wish I was peddling.
Obviously, it is time to go out and get a mirage drive boat but you get so attached to your boat, sometimes it is hard to go out and get something else. After all, it has filled the freezer so many times and never complained. It would almost be like a married man bringing another woman into the house.
I'm still going to do it someday.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
It would almost be like a married man bringing another woman into the house.

Kayak polygamy isn't necessarily a bad thing  ;)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 05:00:12 PM by ravdakot »
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013

From the postings on this forum, it is clear that kayak fishers don't feel that kayak fishing is a marriage between one person and one kayak.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 05:53:17 AM by pmmpete »

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
It would almost be like a married man bringing another woman into the house.

I've own 20 different kayaks in the past 10 years.   ::)

-Allen

loreglas

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Loved my WldernessTarpon120, my first kayak. Love my Outback even more. I kept the Tarpon for friends, but love the handsfree fishing. Both are outfitted with FF and anchor trolleys Made a cart and finally broke down and bought a better one. Have added another tool box to back of trailer and sides. Now just waiting for spring. Room for two more kayaks :happy3:
Hobie Outback   Tarpon 120
9th place Brownlee Crappie Shootout 2017

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I'd love it if somebody got one of these things.  I really wanna try it!

"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

I demo'd one at OR last year.  This kayak turned out to be a sweet kayak.  I predict if Native ever increases their presence on the west coast, they'll do well with this kayak.

-Allen

threecreeks

• Lingcod
  • "Life is tough, but it's tougher when yur stupid"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2007
How's the price point comparison?
Cobra F-n-Dive / Hobie Pro Angler 14

michilutiiq

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jun 2013
Where I live, if I had to choose only one kayak, I'd go with a pedal kayak b/c I can always choose to paddle in it. I love paddling when I'm kayaking. I love pedaling when I'm fishing. My wife and I always took fishing poles on our multi-day kayak/camping trips, but the challenges of stowing the paddle and managing the fishing pole always seemed to be big challenges (in part b/c we hadn't set the kayaks up with rod holders or any other fishing set up).

However, now I fish in the salt and on lakes with an Outback. Love being able to get to spots while I'm also setting up my gear, and I like that pedaling while I troll eliminates the step of hand transfer from paddle to rod.

As many people have already said, though, it's more a matter of choosing for the context than it is one or the other.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013

I demo'd one at OR last year.  This kayak turned out to be a sweet kayak.  I predict if Native ever increases their presence on the west coast, they'll do well with this kayak.

-Allen

Talked with one of the guys at a flyfishing shop here in Gig Harbor who has/uses one out in the Narrows.  He loves it, says he can do 6 knots without any problems…  I've been waiting for a chance to give one a spin, too…  I love the paddling, but I can see how fishing would be lots easier when pedaling…

Jim
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
A little while back I would have been in the Pedal only camp. Now I am in the market for a Paddle Kayak to add to my collection. It has been said before that you should choose the right tool for the right job. Maybe it is experience and time the leads you to those special circumstances that require a special tool.I am at that point now.

Don't get me wrong, The Outback will still be my go to kayak of choice. The hands free option just can't be beat.
I have been very vocal about pedal kayaks in the past. Now I am eating my crow with fava beans and looking at adds for used Kayaks.

Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
A little while back I would have been in the Pedal only camp. Now I am in the market for a Paddle Kayak to add to my collection. It has been said before that you should choose the right tool for the right job. Maybe it is experience and time the leads you to those special circumstances that require a special tool.I am at that point now.

Don't get me wrong, The Outback will still be my go to kayak of choice. The hands free option just can't be beat.
I have been very vocal about pedal kayaks in the past. Now I am eating my crow with fava beans and looking at adds for used Kayaks.

Wobbler

Would that have anything to do with the Bass technique I showed you at the HOW event last summer?    ;D

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

Would that have anything to do with the Bass technique I showed you at the HOW event last summer?    ;D

-Spot-
[/quote]

Yeah, just a little ;D

Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

Chrom3

• Perch
  • Limon, Cuda 12'
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
Limon Cuda 12'

anything