Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:50:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pon de Orielle report  (Read 3849 times)

inseine

• Yak Shirpa
  • Krill
  • I fish therefore I am
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
So I hit up Pon de Orielle last week and just know got to civilization for internet access.  I launched near the long bridge on the south side into warm glassy conditions.  However there was a lot of crud in the water from the snowmelt runoff.  I trawled a Kokanee Killer for nada.  On the way in I saw Opreys and bald eagles diving on bait and trawled through with a swim shad and caught this pikeminnow.  I guess better than nothing at all.  Check out the Castle being built.  Pretty sweet.  I'd live there.

Jim
"whiskey's for drinkin', waters' for fightin" - Mark Twain

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The who da where? ???
See ya on the water..
Roy

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Nice Jim.  In the interest of informing CBY of where you where I moved your report to the Idaho regional board.  It's about time that section saw some action.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Pisco Sicko

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
The who da where? Huh

Pend Oreille is a big lake in the northern Panhandle of Idaho. Supposed to be some big rainbows in there, if I remember correctly. I've always wanted to check out Priest Lake, too.

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Unless I'm wrong, there are also northern pike in Pend Orielle. Here's a link to a story about the kokanee fishery:

http://www.bayview-idaho.com/bvfishhunt.htm

In 2006-2007 fisheries was giving $15 for each rainbow trout or lake trout taken from the lake, to lessen predation on kokanee.

a snip:
"As the water warms and becomes uniform in temperature, lake trout can be caught near the surface on light spinning tackle pulling spoons or plugs early in the morning or in the evening. The most consistent method however is bottom trolling with downriggers or leaded line. Try trolling slowly just off the bottom using big spoons, Flatfish, Kwikfish, Litefish, Apex, Rapala, Rebel, or Lyman type plugs or dodgers with hootchies or flies on a short leader. A small strip of fresh cut bait or night crawler will greatly improve your chances of a hook-up. Natural color combinations of black or blue over silver or white are good choices for lures, as are lighter colored, fluorescent and glow-in-the-dark colors. Jigging with baited lead headed jigs, spoons and buzz baits over rocky out crops and drop-offs is also a proven technique for catching mackinaw if you find concentrated fish. Use low or non-stretch line because many of the fish are holding in 140+ feet of water and it is difficult to detect a bite and set a hook with monofilament line. Reel fish up slowly from those depths to prevent bloating."

Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

Kamloop

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
No Pike yet, however walleye have started to show up and it seems that they are gaining in numbers.
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.