Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:46:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Don't pull a snagged jig from the side of the yak in the ocean  (Read 8465 times)

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
So first of all THANK YOU DEL ! I got hooked on the rocks past haystack rock at PC and tried to pull it out , if you have done that from the side of the boat in swells you know where I ended up. That's right azz over sombrero in 60+feet of water had my paddle leash wrapped around my leg with the line wrapped around my foot. Oh great I'm wet but the water was actualy nice to be in since it was getting hot in my farmer johns. Now the fun part and in comes Del to the rescue unclip my paddle leash pulled it off me , the pole went back in and sank with the hook now in my boot laces , sweet can save the pole. So I thought as I tried twice to get back in , not easy in swells with curent pushing your legs under the boat. Del rolls to the other side pushes down on my hull reaches across to my hand and helps yard my wet sorry azz back on board. If anyone else has done this they most likely also immediately got a swim entry assist step, guess what I'm making or buying. Yep swim step. As for the pole hooked to my boot you guessed it the line snapped as I re-entered  my boat so it's structure now. THANK YOU DEL!

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
You made it out alive. That is what is important. Great job Del for being there to assist! You need a GoPro! >:D
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Welcome to the reality of salt water fishing.....
  Glad you made it out okay with minimal loss of gear .And kudos to Del for being there to help out.
   There are lessons for all of us to be learned with any capsizing. Be prepared for immersion 1st. Fishing with a buddy is always a good idea. Being aware of your balance point is also important. And above all --don't panic.

Shannon --you must have been using a more stout pole and line than when you fished on Fathers Day. What pound test were you using??? At least you saved your jig.

See you in a few days.........
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
I was using the smaller of my two telephone poles with 80 lbs mono. I'm not sure if I was pulling on the pole when the yak leaned in or if it broke free when the yak was leaning out, (for those who haven't done it) it happens REAL fast.

Shannon

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
You made it out alive. That is what is important. Great job Del for being there to assist! You need a GoPro! >:D
That's on my "to get list" but a swim step just moved to top of the list

Shannon

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

I was using the smaller of my two telephone poles with 80 lbs mono.
I think we found the problem. If you spool straight mono 20-25 is all you need. If you go braid don't go higher than 50#.
Get a stick to wrap off and pull from directly from the side of the yak.

And practice re-entry in the salt. You need to be confident in your ability to get back on your yak.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

I think we found the problem. If you spool straight mono 20-25 is all you need. If you go braid don't go higher than 50#.

And practice re-entry in the salt. You need to be confident in your ability to get back on your yak.
It was my grandpas pole ,line was already there, I also was thinking the same thing after the fact about salt re entry , it's way harder then in the lake four times in a row with a heavy wet hoody on to add weight. And that will be another post to see if enough guys want to hit PC after ORC to have a morning re-entry clinic followed by some fishing if enough guys are interested and I WILL BE building or buying an entry assist step.

Shannon

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

+1. You may also might want to just start with 30 lb braid.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
After the fact spot told me put the line over the bow nose in to the snag but I think I will just cut them loose I got scissors on my pfd

Shannon

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
You can wrap the line around your wood shampoo stick or gaff handle and stay centered in the kayak.

I don't think assisted re entry is best. You should be able to renter unassisted. The fewer moving parts, the better. Hit the gym and do push/pull upper body exercises if you aren't strong enough. At least daily chin-ups and push-ups.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen

Sounds like you'll be getting a new pole soon so you need to make the adjustments mentioned above.
  I run 50 lb. Power Pro on all my salt poles. It can be tough to break but you learn how.. especially at Depoe Bay. Wrapping your line around a dowel/ whacker works a lot better than you hand (or bring band-aids). You will get snagged up so be prepared. I wouldn't ever use 80 lb. mono for any fishing.
 I agree about being able to self rescue. There will be more times that no one is near than not. Building a step assist might be a good idea for you. And practice with it also.
  Cutting your line every time you get snagged up is really not a good idea. For one thing -- you'll run out of line too quickly if you snag up a lot. Two--- it can be a hazard to other fishermen and other boats as well. If you've ever had to clean off a prop in rolling seas -- you'll know what I mean.
  I'll say it more than once in the next few days  " Keep It Simple Stupid" . (Don't take that personally). Simple works for me cause I'm a simple kind of guy. Simple tackle. Simple pole. Simple or few gadgets on board. It works for me.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

Sounds like you'll be getting a new pole soon so you need to make the adjustments mentioned above.
  I run 50 lb. Power Pro on all my salt poles. It can be tough to break but you learn how.. especially at Depoe Bay. Wrapping your line around a dowel/ whacker works a lot better than you hand (or bring band-aids). You will get snagged up so be prepared. I wouldn't ever use 80 lb. mono for any fishing.
 I agree about being able to self rescue. There will be more times that no one is near than not. Building a step assist might be a good idea for you. And practice with it also.
  Cutting your line every time you get snagged up is really not a good idea. For one thing -- you'll run out of line too quickly if you snag up a lot. Two--- it can be a hazard to other fishermen and other boats as well. If you've ever had to clean off a prop in rolling seas -- you'll know what I mean.
  I'll say it more than once in the next few days  " Keep It Simple Stupid" . (Don't take that personally). Simple works for me cause I'm a simple kind of guy. Simple tackle. Simple pole. Simple or few gadgets on board. It works for me.
Just so everyone knows I had a 20 lbs snap swivel on figuring that's light enough to only leave the jig in the water. And it would be REALLY hard to offend me.  As for self recovery that's something that will be addressed rapidly as I said before I did it 4 times in a row in a very heavy cotton sweater with all my gear on but that was in a lake. And that's also why I don't fish alone in the salt. Anyone they has fished with me know upper body strength isn't a problem for me. Today was a good day I took home 7 fish and a learning experience.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 08:03:54 PM by Jojopotato »

Shannon

Justin

• Sturgeon
Glad you made it out safe.

I run heavy braid but drop it down to 30lb mono. This includes my sturgeon gear and i havnt broke off one yet.  The mono helps with abrasion from rocks and corral as well.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I see my jig caused the problem lol.glad your OK.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'm glad it turned out the way it did! That said, upper body strength although fantastic isn't all you need to facilitate a self rescue. It's more technique than anything. You have to lay out flat and thrust yourself atop your boat while pulling it under you. If you try to rely on strength alone you end up under your boat (like you mentioned). As for a water step; I've been playing with one on a regular basis as a possible tool to use for HOW. Not a fan... They're remotely difficult to get your foot in the stirrup, and they have a tendency to make you rely on strength vs technique once again putting you under your boat.

I'll get off my soap box now...
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod