Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:30:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Don't pull a snagged jig from the side of the yak in the ocean  (Read 8466 times)

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I'm sure you've seen this or something similar, but it illustrates the lay out flat, and thrust I was referring to a little better.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PLy33_-VG7EjWjB3agMe74g1qzUHEDpFqu&v=NLugVeh1J5g
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
JoJo

I wouldn't trust the rating on the snap swivel.  I run 30 lb braid ending in a much heavier snap swivel.  I attach a 25 lb five foot mono leader that has a snap swivel at the end where the jig attaches and a swivel at the other end.  I carry about ten of these.  I never have to tie knots on the water this way. Therefore no :puke: and there is less down time after a break-off.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
JoJo

I wouldn't trust the rating on the snap swivel.  I run 30 lb braid ending in a much heavier snap swivel.  I attach a 25 lb five foot mono leader that has a snap swivel at the end where the jig attaches and a swivel at the other end.  I carry about ten of these.  I never have to tie knots on the water this way. Therefore no :puke: and there is less down time after a break-off.
Love the  avitar and the last two times out on Dramamine no pukey even looking down and that's what I'm going to do with the line down size at the jig. 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Glad everything turned out OK Mojo Jojo!

This event reminded me of something I've never bothered to tell newbies before but will definitely add to seminars. 

If your VHF gets submerged, smack it a couple of times with the speaker facing down and then call for a radio check.  This is especially important if you're using your VHF for a Pan Pan or Mayday call from the water.  If you don't get the water out, you won't be able to hear when other people are hailing or answering you.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009

This event reminded me of something I've never bothered to tell newbies before but will definitely add to seminars. 

If your VHF gets submerged, smack it a couple of times with the speaker facing down and then call for a radio check.  This is especially important if you're using your VHF for a Pan Pan or Mayday call from the water.  If you don't get the water out, you won't be able to hear when other people are hailing or answering you.

-Spot-
THAT is a very key piece of info--I had no idea. Thanks Spot.
T2

tsquared

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Aug 2009

-Spot-
THAT is a very key piece of info--I had no idea. Thanks Spot.
T2

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Some VHF handheld radios come with a feature to clear the water using sound.  ICOM for example.

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
Thanks for sharing. It helps keep us all on our toes.

I run 50# braid on my trolling and bottom fishing rigs, but with 20# leader.  Easy enough to break using the tricks described above.  Often reversing direction will pull out a snag - pull it out from the way it went in.   A very shallow angle helps too, but keep the long axis of the yak between you and the snag. :)
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
but keep the long axis of the yak between you and the snag. :)

This is also key for when monster hook sets are needed... don't do it with your rod at a right angle to your boat!

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

This is also key for when monster hook sets are needed... don't do it with your rod at a right angle to your boat!
I'm going to be keeping the rod tip between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock unless there's a fish close to the surface getting pulled on board then I always prep for the fish to do a re-dive , I also keep my drag a little loose so a big boy don't give the surprise hook yank. 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

I'm going to be keeping the rod tip between 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock unless there's a fish close to the surface getting pulled on board then I always prep for the fish to do a re-dive , I also keep my drag a little loose so a big boy don't give the surprise hook yank.

Yep. I've nearly pulled myself off my kayak when I get frustrated with sturgeon and I go for the bass-pro hookset.  ;D

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
The bass-pro hook set comment prompts me to remind everyone that the traditional hook set was done with monofilament, a line with a huge amount of stretch.  Braid has virtually no stretch, so a traditional hook set may tear the hook out of a fish's mouth.  With sharp hooks and braid I've found little to no hook set is needed.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
You can also increase stability by dangling your legs over the sides.  Then again, I never have issues with stability unless I'm reaching for the tank well with sitting side straddle.

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
If I absolutely can't free a snag by passing over it the opposite way that I snagged up, I point the rod tip at the snag and continue pedaling away from it until my leader breaks. Sometimes the lure comes free this way and I save my gear.
I realize that probably isn't an easy task in a paddle kayak. That's my tried and true method.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
If I absolutely can't free a snag by passing over it the opposite way that I snagged up, I point the rod tip at the snag and continue pedaling away from it until my leader breaks. Sometimes the lure comes free this way and I save my gear.
I realize that probably isn't an easy task in a paddle kayak. That's my tried and true method.

Just add the step of throwing out some extra line so that your momentum causes the break and it works well.

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st