Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:44:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What do you do when someone locks their keys in their trailer?  (Read 4163 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Bait Knife to the rescue.  Thankfully the plate was aluminum. All names will be withheld to protect the innocent...and guilty.

It is times like this that make me thankful for friends that do goofy things making adventures in the outdoors more adventuresome.  The closest set of spare keys was about 100 miles away.

Also, we did get 9 ducks and one fish between the three of us.

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I have no flippen clue who that was.  There is always a silver lining though. The lesson learned was not to use aluminum for your lock plate.  A cheap knife with a serated edge cuts through it in minutes.

Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
And ALWAYS have a set of spare trailer keys in the tow vehicle. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
That was just the start of the adventure.  Craig graciously volunteered to test out a potential launch spot for us, and quickly found out that just because grass is growing on the mud it does not mean the ground is solid. 

newprincipal

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
If you were shooting ducks, why didn't you just shoot the lock off?

craig

• Sturgeon

Except the trailer keys were attached to the tow vehicle keys in the trailer. :BangHead:

If you were shooting ducks, why didn't you just shoot the lock off?
The thought crossed our minds, but the shotguns were locked in the trailer. ::) Also, that could be just a tad "Darwin Awardy."

craig

• Sturgeon
That was just the start of the adventure.  Craig graciously volunteered to test out a potential launch spot for us, and quickly found out that just because grass is growing on the mud it does not mean the ground is solid. 
There was solid ground.. under about three feet of mud. We needed Rory.  It would have only been ankle deep for him.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Except the trailer keys were attached to the tow vehicle keys in the trailer. :BangHead:

I always keep my truck and trailer keys separate, and I keep a spare truck key tethered in my PFD. 
Trailer keys (and the spare trailer keys) always ride in the truck.

Reason this procedure came about was stemmed from kayak fishing/camping with either DTS or BlueWRX02. 
My trailer was the haul it all, and therefore some of their gear will be in the trailer at any given moment.

I keep my main truck keys in a dry box in the kayak while fishing.  Now, if for some reason Dave or John needed to go back to shore for something, or just done for the day, I can give them my PFD spare truck key which gets them into the truck to get the trailer keys.
Once unlocked, they know to put the trailer keys back in the truck, and to put the PFD key in their PFD until we are back in the same air space.  At that point, the spare PFD truck key goes directly into my PFD again.   

I'm sure there is a failure in this system looking for a place to rear it's ugly head, but for now it has worked great! 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
We had a similar system in Baja. Unfortunately, I became careless closer to home. I tried to figure out a way to come out of this with my pride intact.  But, at the end of the day it was me who pushed the lock closed. 

In the next nanosecond  three things went through my mind.  1) F%*k I locked the keys inside! 2) Who can I blame this on ( come on. You all have that fraction of a second where that goes through your mind) 3) Should i start running now. . Which I quickly rejected since I can't run I wobble.
Wobbling away from two fit gentlemen  seemed like an exercise I futility. I can see it now. I'm blasting into warp wobble,  feet  flying, elbows flapping  and balance control is on the razors edge. I dare a glance to my right, as nate casually strolls up and asks what happened. So much for the warpobble escape plan.

I have to admit Nate and Craig took it without raising an eyebrow. All they did was stop getting ready to fish and start gathering tools.  The rest then became recorded history. I put an extra key in the truck last night.  P
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Keys? Seems I remember something about kayaks and keys ::)  Here's two more reasons to make a hide-a-key a standard part of your kayak fishing gear.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,2502.msg22981.html#msg22981

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5179.msg53999.html#msg53999
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

SamM

• Lingcod
  • McDowellHome
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I have to admit Nate and Craig took it without raising an eyebrow. All they did was stop getting ready to fish and start gathering tools.  The rest then became recorded history. I put an extra key in the truck last night.  P

That's what experience buys you - I seem to recall another incident with keys locked away involving this duo!  :)

Glad you guys were able to work it out still get some birds and a fish!

-Sam
got stop wishing,
     got to go fishing...
          - Jimmy Buffett

Hobie Oasis, Outback, i11s

anything