Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:20:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: A slice of Hawaii  (Read 6129 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Yeah, I heard about that attack.  Tiger shark.  A guy got bit up north at beach 69 a few days ago.  He was in 4' of water.  Definitely won't be hanging my limbs over the edge... And most definitely won't be using my stringer:). Glad you avoided that catastrophe.

Damn.  Beach 69 is one of our favorites on Big Island.  Have spent many a day hanging out in the water and snorkeling there.

-Allen

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Great writeup.  And thanks,  you just made me rethink my gear choices for a trip to Kauai in May.  Looks like I may be checking some rods now.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Great writeup.  And thanks,  you just made me rethink my gear choices for a trip to Kauai in May.  Looks like I may be checking some rods now.

What is your plan? Did you find a place to rent from over there?  I made some inquiries at the shops that did kayak tours and they said there were no kayak fishing guides on Kauai but that all the employees there were avid kayak fishermen. We were just there a few weeks ago.

crackergraham

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Yesterday was pretty fun... just spent a few hours on the reef a little closer in.  Caught a needlefish, a small barracuda and a trumpet fish.  Today, had the thrill of hearing the reel scream again.... ONO!!!!!  One thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three {break in the action"....one thousand ten..... ratchet up the drag and start reeling.... fish on.  One good jump and then swam toward the yak.... got to the yak and then headed straight down.  Being the newb that I am, I ratcheted the drag up a bit too much I think.  The rod bend over pretty good for a spell, then when I get a bit more traction pulling him back up..... slack, he's off the treble (which can be problematic as well).  When I reeled in, all I had was a crinkled up mess.  The toothy critter was doing his best to crinkle and shred my line.... and he won this round.  Friday morning I'll get his cousin!  It started to get a bit of chop so I headed in shortly after losing the fish.  Good thing I did because an hour after I landed the chop look pretty gnarly.... would have tested the limits of the Outback for sure.  Had another chomp my bait on the way in.... must have missed him by an inch.  Anyhow... still beautiful here in paradise, and I still have plenty of Mahi and beer to sooth my "one that got away" day.

ps. note to the wise:  Don't skimp on the sunscreen.... even a tiny bit.  I backed off the SPF just a tiny bit and got a bit too much sun.  Its a big deal out here... that sun is intense.  Long sleeves or me on Friday.

--—•—--
2nd Place 2015 Salmon Slayride
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
Someone is living my fishing dream right now.   :fish:
I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

Can't you see that people back home are trying to work and carry on with their wet and cold lives?!?!?

You'll be happy to know that I absolutely hate you now.   :laugh:

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

crackergraham

• Rockfish

Can't you see that people back home are trying to work and carry on with their wet and cold lives?!?!?

You'll be happy to know that I absolutely hate you now.   :laugh:

-Mark-

I did include mention of my sunburn...  that isn't enviable.  Does that mean I'm barred from social events?
--—•—--
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
HaHa!  I spent the last half of our honeymoon in a white long sleeve rash guard because of skimping on the sunscreen.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Sweet!

I rented from plentypupule in July last summer. Great experience and great shop.

The large dark fish may have been a tiger shark. I saw one inside the harbor just down the hill from pp that went at least 15'. No dangling feet for me.

crackergraham

• Rockfish

Here is a link to the video upload... Appears to be compressed a bit, and I'm sure I didn't do it right cause I'm not a tech savy type... but either way... You can catch a glimpse of the eerie shape I saw while fighting the second Mahi.  Like I said... For the salty warm water guys, probably no big deal, but still makes my hair stand up.  Tell me what you think it is.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:14:55 PM by crackergraham »
--—•—--
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

anything