Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 08:20:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Jackson Kraken?  (Read 8533 times)

dawg/duck13

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Is anyone paddling a Kraken? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Likes/dislikes? I've just sold my AI and I'm in the market for a new boat, I've got a JK Big Tuna, so I've been looking at the jackson line. Although I'll admit, I'll definitely miss the peddle power. So I've also been considering a outback/revo13. Reason I keep coming back to the kraken is, well it's ready to fish out of the box. You don't really have to add a lot to the boat. My other issue is....which keeps me holding onto the hobie line is a back surgery a few yrs back (I don't know how I'll handle paddling long distance....I use the BT on the lakes and such). Any insight would be great. Thanks
2015 Hobie Revo 16 <----the "Limousine"
2015 Hobie Outback (Sold)
2015 Jackson Big Tuna (Sold)

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
you might get in touch with BigJim from NorCal,  I recollect him mentioning he uses a Kraken.  Search for "kraken" and you will find some of his posts.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

• Visits from AZ
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
Be sure to compare to the Thresher. After a few outings, I'm a happy camper. Not necessarily cheap, but a salt water paddler's boat. Handles surf like a dream. Call Next Adventure.
2010 OK Scupper Pro
2015 Wilderness Thresher 140

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Is anyone paddling a Kraken? If so, what are your thoughts on it? Likes/dislikes? I've just sold my AI and I'm in the market for a new boat, I've got a JK Big Tuna, so I've been looking at the jackson line. Although I'll admit, I'll definitely miss the peddle power. So I've also been considering a outback/revo13. Reason I keep coming back to the kraken is, well it's ready to fish out of the box. You don't really have to add a lot to the boat. My other issue is....which keeps me holding onto the hobie line is a back surgery a few yrs back (I don't know how I'll handle paddling long distance....I use the BT on the lakes and such). Any insight would be great. Thanks
I take my JK BT out at PC it can handle the surf, try paddling it for a good day in the ocean then decide about whether you can paddle. Just my $0.02

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

dawg/duck13

• Rockfish
Thanks for the input all. I decided to go w/ the Outback, peddle power won over. I still like the kraken and if I could convince my wife I needed 4 kayaks, I'd get one. After a long debate, I know my back wouldn't hold up to paddling in current/wind/chop very well. The peddles will give me a chance to do what I enjoy, and that's being on the water for a greater amount of time. I'll still take my BT out as much as possible, my kids love that boat because they get to go. Once again thanks for all the input.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
I'm really looking forward to trying out the Kraken. Just a really well put together boat.

Sounds like you made the right choice for what you're looking for. The Hobie will get you on the water for days. Those new seats are super duper comfy!
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I hope the Kraken is significantly better than every other Jackson SOT. I just tested the Big Tuna tandem and it was just as bad as the Cuda 14 and Coosa. It was a wobbly pig that returned to center very slowly and felt uncomfortable with two guys on it. Huge thumbs down!

dawg/duck13

• Rockfish
That's my other boat is the BT, I've taken it out w/ my kids (calm non-windy day) and the boat handled great. I was able to stand w/ both kids flopping around in it. I like a lot of different boats, and if my wife didn't stop me, the garage would be full.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
It might be a weight thing then. All I know is that with two guy that average about 200 each it was not a confidence inspiring boat.

RunolfsonIII

• Perch
I own a Cuda 14, I'm a rookie paddler . I dont think it is wobbly. My cousin has a Cuda 12 and stands in it to fish.
2019 Native Slayer 13 Propel
2018 Native Titan 10.5 Propel
2015 WS Commander 120

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
Ok I think I need to articulate this a bit more.
The Jackson line of boat are built with a very high level of primary stability.  This is partially caused by the hull shape and it is partly caused by the high center of gravity.
When a boat has a higher center of gravity it feels very stable initially but the compromise is poor secondary stability.

I am used to kayaks with a low center of gravity and high secondary stability. If you lean a boat with good secondary stability it will roll to its side but the pop quickly back to center. When the weight is shifted back to center.
The Jackson boats are very sluggish to return to center and once you get past even a minimal side roll the boat continues to roll over.
I think that this becomes even more true when you have a larger person on the boat as this raises the center of gravity even more.
This was my feeling about the Cuda and the Coosa when I demoed them two years ago and was just reinforced this weekend with the Big Tuna. This was not just my observation but also that of two other guys who are experienced paddlers and both are Pro Staff guys, one for a paddle boat and one for a pedal boat.

As a big guy I'm not a fan of any Jackson I've been on.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
As a big guy and an owner of a big tuna I don't have that feeling, but I have never been in a hobie either. I like my boat and I'm comfortable in it being in the ocean, river, or lake. That said I like my one ton four door ford also but it ain't going to perform like my wife Subaru or a Ferrari either. So as to boats there the same as automobiles, it's all about budget comfort level and personal preference. I have had my adult son on mine and we were pushing 450lbs total weight and he's not experienced so I had to work a little harder to keep the boat comfortable on the water counter leaning his actions, but he did finally get the hang of it and we had a great time lake fishing.

Shannon

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
As a big guy and an owner of a big tuna I don't have that feeling, but I have never been in a hobie either. I like my boat and I'm comfortable in it being in the ocean, river, or lake. That said I like my one ton four door ford also but it ain't going to perform like my wife Subaru or a Ferrari either. So as to boats there the same as automobiles, it's all about budget comfort level and personal preference. I have had my adult son on mine and we were pushing 450lbs total weight and he's not experienced so I had to work a little harder to keep the boat comfortable on the water counter leaning his actions, but he did finally get the hang of it and we had a great time lake fishing.
I would sure hope that a tandem with one person on it is stable.
Personally I feel that the Big Tuna as a tamdem for two adults is a poorly designed boat.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
As I said it's all about personal preferance, I won't be taking it tandem in the ocean without an experienced passenger that is 150lbs or under but my primary choice for the tuna was to take my grandson out on the lake fishing.

Shannon

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I agree 100% with FG. I sold my Coosa for a reason, and the Big Tuna is borderline dangerous as a tandem for two paddlers over 6ft X 200#. It took very little to completely capsize, and then it was challenging to reenter. It would be easy to handle with a 120# adult, or my kids, but far from ideal.

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

anything