Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:13:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

[April 28, 2024, 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Jackson Kraken Rudder  (Read 3874 times)

PK_Rick

• Herring
  • Jackson-Kraken
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I recently bought a Jackson Kraken, but I did not get the rudder. I had talked to a couple people who casually commented on how I wouldn't need it, they have been paddling theirs without. I took it out on a it's second paddle, caught a little breeze and some wake from power boats. I had some issues keeping it on track. In my mind I could've use the Rudder. (granted I have only been out in it on two pretty easy lake days)

Has anyone with a Kraken or comparable sized boat paddle it without a rudder. My feeling is it can be pulled up if I don't need it but not having it all could be a hindrance in a strong wind or current. What does the Forum think?  To Rudder or Not to Rudder?

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have a trident 13 not a kracken.I see people with the same kayak and no rudder all the time.I can't imagine mine without. I look at it as this,if you only drive a pickup with out power steering you have no idea what a new rig drives like. My $.02
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
The Kraken is a great boat but could definitely use a rudder IMO. Like other boats near 16' there's a lot of surface area to catch wind. If you're not in the wind a bunch then no bigs but if the opposite get one. It's a great ruder and makes paddling much more comfortable.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

PK_Rick

• Herring
  • Jackson-Kraken
The Kraken is a great boat but could definitely use a rudder IMO. Like other boats near 16' there's a lot of surface area to catch wind. If you're not in the wind a bunch then no bigs but if the opposite get one. It's a great ruder and makes paddling much more comfortable.

Thanks. I shoulda got it from the get, but I wasn't sure. But now that I have paddled it a couple times I can see where it will help in wind or bigger water. My biggest concern is having a solid foot peg. If anyone has a hack for firming up rudder peddles let me know?

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Paddling my Big Tuna is much easier with the rudder.   If you make the jump, put some silicon spray on the rudder tracks after installing.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Thanks. I shoulda got it from the get, but I wasn't sure. But now that I have paddled it a couple times I can see where it will help in wind or bigger water. My biggest concern is having a solid foot peg. If anyone has a hack for firming up rudder peddles let me know?

It is little bit of a trade off. You are less susceptible to weather cocking but also a little less stable. When you use a ruddered kayak your heels rest on the floor and only your toes are on the pedals. The grip from your heels keep you braced. And your feet are working against each other so if you feel like you need to brace you use equal force on your toes. It feels a little weird at first but you'll figure out pretty quickly.

Check this.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

PK_Rick

• Herring
  • Jackson-Kraken

It is little bit of a trade off. You are less susceptible to weather cocking but also a little less stable. When you use a ruddered kayak your heels rest on the floor and only your toes are on the pedals. The grip from your heels keep you braced. And your feet are working against each other so if you feel like you need to brace you use equal force on your toes. It feels a little weird at first but you'll figure out pretty quickly.

Check this.

Wow Great Video thanks. I did a lot of River Boating back in the day, and dealt with currents and eddies, and understand how to Ferry & Eddyturn etc. The Weather Cocking is something I have to learn. The nice thing about the Kraken it is rudder ready with internal "plumbing" to run the cables through the hull. should be an easy set up. (now i gotta spend the $$$) The kayak is 1/5 of the cost of a Fishing Kayak....haha

Nocatchem

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I have a Jackson Kraken with a rudder and I love it.  although, there are times I don't use it but it is great to have when needed.

Get one! 😀
Roger