Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:24:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: I hate to be this personal for my first post  (Read 5208 times)

Dontblink

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
  Hello

I just bought a 2015 revo 13 for my wife's Bday last week and she loves it, her first kayak.

We are headed to Seattle this weekend and I wanted to shop there for a kayak for myself and I need some help.

I have had a very rear autoimune disease similar to lupus for the last 6+ years, and I have been bed ridden for much of that time. I have lost most of my core strength and endurance and we are hoping that a kayak might be a good start regaining some of my old self back. I have recently started a new drug that seems to be helping with the exhaustion and fatigue a lot.

I tried peddling her Hobie here in Moses Lake and was quickly worn out even at very mild peddling rates but I could paddle it for sometime and really enjoyed myself.

So I am looking for a paddling kayak with good speed "my Wife can really zoom in her new Hobie" but relatively small say 12' or 13' or less and easy to handle this is also my first kayak so I need at least some stability. The revo 13 was fine as far as stability was concerned. I don't want to go and get a revo 13 right now incase kayaking is just to much for me.

I think a SOT makes the most sense just for ease of reentry but I am not sure. I would like to be able to do some light fishing out of it in the future. If you think a sit inside makes more sense I am not opposed to that either.

Maybe you all could suggest some shop's and kayaks for me to look at this weekend the 18th & 19th I would be more than grateful. We are staying in the Everett area but we can go south also.

I would like to keep the price below $1000 if possible but around $700 would be better.

We were very active before I got sick we were into scuba, rock climbing, camping and more and my wife is very hopeful. She says if I get to tired she will just tie on and tow me around the lake lol.

Any suggestions will be hugely appreciated  thanks for your time and help.

Tracy

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
What do you like fishing for? Will this kayak stay in lakes or will you need something more maneuverable for rivers?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
As you are rehabilitating from your illness, an advantage of buying a Hobie Mirage Drive kayak is that you can either paddle it and work on your upper body and core muscles, or pedal it and build up your legs.  In fact, you can do both in the same day:  Put the plug in the drive hole and padddle until your upper body is pooped, and then take out the plug and drop in the Mirage Drive and pedal back.  Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks tend to hold their value pretty well, so it's unusual to find one under $1,000 unless it's really old.  However, I notice that there is a Sport for sale on Seattle Craigslist for $900.  See https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/spo/5083387703.html . It's a short kayak and won't be as fast as your wife's Revolution, but would be somewhat easier for you to move around.  Get a good kayak or canoe cart, which will make it much easier for you to move the kayak from your car to a launch area, or from your garage to your vehicle.

A sit-on-top kayak is safer than a sit-inside kayak.  If you manage to fill a sit-inside kayak with water when you're out on a lake, you're in trouble.  It's difficult to drain out a sit-inside kayak and get a paddler back into it when out on the water without the assistance of a couple of experienced kayakers, particularly if the sit-inside doesn't have any flotation, as is unfortunately often the case with recreational sit-inside kayaks.  If you manage to flip over a sit-on-top kayak, it's easy to flip it back over and climb back on.  Due to your current low strength, I suggest that you make a rope or webbing foot stirrup to help you climb back into a sit-on-top.

Edit:  Oops, I just noticed that the Sport on Seattle Craigslist doesn't have a Mirage Drive, which explains its low price.  Due to the price you are looking for, I suggest that you look for a used kayak.  I'd suggest getting a good used kayak rather than a crappy new kayak.  Post a "wanted - used kayak" notice on this forum.  A lot of members of this forum have multiple kayaks, and such a posting might encourage someone to make you an offer.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:51:13 AM by pmmpete »

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I try not to jump in on these kind of threads too much since I have obvious skin in the game.  I am a Wavewalk dealer. It is basically a hobby kind of a situation (something my son and law do together), not something I make my living at.  I visit this site not to advertise but because I like kayak fishing.  So with that laid out on the table,  you should take look at a Wavewalk. 

They are light 60lbs. and easy to carry, car top, paddle, and very stable. They can be rigged how ever you want to fish.  I have mine set up with a down rigger etc.  They are also easily motorized especially the W700 which comes out around the first of August.  Check them out at www.wavewalk.com and look for the Gig Harbor dealer.   Shoot me PM if you ever want to do a demo run.  They are different than other kayaks and are just getting started out here on the West Coast. 

Good luck in finding the perfect boat.
Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

Dontblink

• Plankton
   Thanks so much for the fast replies.

For the most part this will be a kayak for the lakes but we live close to the Columbia river so I would hope to go there also, but mostly this kayak is a test to see if I can sustain a activity long enough to restore some of my strength. I walk ever day now and am trying to build back my health.

We live just one house away from Moses Lake so I have grate access to the water. If I can maintain kayaking and increase my endurance and love the sport I will just buy another new Hobie, a revo or the outback.

Than We will use this kayak for friends and family. I used to fish a lot 10 or 12 years ago bass, walleye, trout, charters in Westport. If indeed this new drug continues to improve my health I will want to do a little fishing with it just very basic stuff walleye mostly. I will than upgrade to a full blown fishing kayak.

I have already bought a new Malone kayak trailer for my wife's yak, it got here yesterday. She has been talking about kayaking for two years but I just didn't feel well enough to do anything about it entail recently. I am having a hitch put on her car next week so even if it does not workout for me her and the family can still kayak together.

Pete I think your right about a sit on top yak that was my thinking also but I know very little about this sport. Before I got sick I would have been very interested in something like that Dagger roam or a full out white water kayak but I am afraid those days are behind me now.

That wave walk sounds like a very cool boat I will check it out.

I just really want something semi fast to keep up with my wife and easy to handle. I know those to things don't go together well but it dosent have to be a great first boat just fairly great kayak lol. I will also be able to use my wifes yak and increase my leg power, she loves me and she shares.lol.  I also like the stirrup idea I will work that out.

If there are any yaks or specific dealers that you guys think might fit my needs please let me know. Thanks again for the fast replys I will let you know how this weekend turns out. Please if you have any ideas let me know I would love to here them.

Thanks again Tracy

I should of mentioned I am not married to the $1000 limit I could go 12 or 13 hundred for something special, not sure that helps much. Thanks Guys

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:40:54 AM by Dontblink »

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Have you thought about a tandem so you can put that speedy wife of yours to work for you?
This should allow you to contribute what you can to propulsion while you build your strength back up over time.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Tohopko

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Have you thought about a tandem so you can put that speedy wife of yours to work for you?
This should allow you to contribute what you can to propulsion while you build your strength back up over time.

Ya know--a tandem might be just the thing for you.  There is a used tandem Hobie on the Seattle CL right now--still above your stated price, but not far.

If not that, consider a visit to Elephant Boys over in Spokane.  They get a lot of seconds and liquidations and put them out at a deep discount.

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
2012 ORC 5th Place

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
Divorce boats?

That's one of the best things about Hobie tandems - they allow you to minimize the usual bad parts of being in a tandem. The drives allow each person to pedal at their own rate - no synchronization needed. 2011 models and newer have dual tillers - each person has the ability to steer. You still have to decide which one of you is going to steer, so it doesn't solve all problems, but our Oasis is one of the best joint purchases my wife and I have ever made.

I agree that a tandem may be a good option for you, Tracy. In any case, I hope you are able to find a kayak that fits your needs for you physically - I have no doubt that your psychological needs will be met every time you get on the water.
15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL

blownglass

I was just at REI and seen they have a wilderness systems tarpon 120 for about $950 new . thats a boat I have been considering picking up as a third boat .  I have been wanting another boat to take friends and family . for the price the tarpon 120 seems like a nice boat with a comfy looking seat .

Dontblink

• Plankton
  Divorce boats  Haha

We had a hobie days demo here in Moses a few days before I bought the Revo 13 for my Wife. She tried most of them out and liked the 13 the most, we talked about the Oasis but I didn't think she would be able to handle it without me.
  If or when I get another Hobie it will have to be 2015, I want the new seat my wife's boat has it and the seat is awesome. It allowed me to paddle around for quite sometime.

I am looking at the Tetra 12 and the Tarpon 120. Are the seat nice in these kayaks and do they paddle well?

Thanks Tracy

Oh wow I started this post and walked away for a bit and Blownglass posted before I finished.
That Tarpon was on my list do you know much about it does it paddle well and how comfy is the seat?
 Thanks Blownglass I will check that out for sure.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 06:51:10 AM by Dontblink »

blownglass

Divorce boats  Haha

We had a hobie days demo here in Moses a few days before I bought the Revo 13 for my Wife. She tried most of them out and liked the 13 the most, we talked about the Oasis but I didn't think she would be able to handle it without me.
  If or when I get another Hobie it will have to be 2015, I want the new seat my wife's boat has it and the seat is awesome. It allowed me to paddle around for quite sometime.

I am looking at the Tetra 12 and the Tarpon 120. Are the seat nice in these kayaks and do they paddle well?

Thanks Tracy

Oh wow I started this post and walked away for a bit and Blownglass posted before I finished.
That Tarpon was on my list do you know much about it does it paddle well and how comfy is the seat?
 Thanks Blownglass I will check that out for sure.
The tarpon has a nice looking padded seat . it looks permanently attached and folds down for travel . I haven't paddled one but compared to my prowler big game which is a wide heavy beast it looks more manageable to load and probably quicker on the water . I like the mounting rails on the side it looks like a solid boat . but I'm just going by observance . and it also looks like the foot rest is a bit more stable than my ocean kayak wider foot rest . when I first got my prowler I was debating on which one to get . I got a super good deal on my O.K  so I had to buy it but sometimes wish I had a lighter and slimmer kayak .

blownglass

If your willing to travel to Vancouver .. Revodave has a real nice ocean kayak trident 11 all rigged up for fishing I'm sure if you gave him a bright offer he would bite . he has it listed in the classifieds section

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Dontblink: An Ocean Trident is a comfortable paddle boat. Really wish you the best on restoring your strength. You've been up a very tough trail. God bless your wife for having your back.

Dontblink

• Plankton

I just got back from the west side we decided to make it a week long trip. Man I see why I didn't get very many suggestions on kayak stores to visit. I went all over north and south with very little success.

REI was sold out of the tarpon 120 and anyone who claimed to sell ocean Kayak stocked nothing. I finally got to see a Tarpon 120 at Westmarine after visiting  8 or 9 kayak shops. It was very nice, I wish someone would have had the prowler 13, Oh well anyway thanks for the help i will keep looking and let you know what I come up with.

Thanks blownglass and fishboy I will check the classifieds, and thanks for the blessings. I did very well this last week we even went on one of the kayak tours in Anacortes I had my nephew and niece power one of those 3 person yaks and I was able to contribute quite a bit so we felt great about that.

Tracy

anything