Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:53:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2015 Outback front hatch leak  (Read 7738 times)

MikeinFresno

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015

I rolled over in the salt a couple of weeks ago, the yak was upside down for 3 min or so. It had several gals of water in it. I had the factory bucket in the front hatch and figured it leaked due to no seal between the plastic bucket and the hatch lid.

Just spent an hour practicing re-entry in my pool. I had removed the front factory add-on bucket so it would not leak as it had done last time. I had it rolled over about 7-10 times and a total of about 5 mins upside down. I noticed that it was rolling slowly side to side the last time a I got back on it. I checked and it had 4" deep water in the center hatch area when I looked in. I got it out and turned it upside down with the front elevated slightly to check for leaks. Very heavy, Im guessing 5 gals or so. I found slow dribbles from the control line holes. No major leaks. I let the front end down so the water would get up around the front hatch and the water poured out big time. So, Im estimating that it gets about a gal a minute, or more, thru the front hatch seal when upside down. I had thot the previous leak was due to the bucket in the front hatch, but it was not.

I will contact my dealer.

Link to Hobie thread    http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=55102

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
That's pretty normal. The hatches just leak. The plastic bucket may have actually helped.

• Chris
  • True Life: I'm Addicted To Kayak Fishing
  • Date Registered: Jun 2012
Noah is right, they leak. Having a bilge pump handy is probably a good idea.
1st Place 2015 Chinook Showdown 
8th Place 2014 AOTD
1st Place 2013 AOTD                        
"Everyone should believe in something,  I believe I'll go fishing."

Sponsorship and Support:
Waxer's Surf Shop
Hobie Fishing Team
Lancer Jigs
Pro-Cure Scents

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
A gal. a min. leak is normal?? That would be  a hell of a hatch leak. That much water would not be acceptable to me. I bought a OK Big Game 2 last summer and rolled it over ten times in my frog pond to practice reboarding and ended up with maybe a cup or two of water. Maybe 10 of 15 min upside down. If you got a gal. a min. leak better start looking for a bilge pump or another yak...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Keep in mind that Hobie uses bungee to secure the front hatch lids closed on most of their kayaks.  Bungee stretches and allows water to get past the seal. 

I quite using the supplied bungee on my Revo a few years ago, and changed it up with a webbing strap more commonly used by other manufacturers.

Much more secure.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
Have you checked the lock in the center. Check where the stripping meets on the rim. If its gaped even a little it will leak.
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
A gal. a min. leak is normal?? That would be  a hell of a hatch leak. That much water would not be acceptable to me. I bought a OK Big Game 2 last summer and rolled it over ten times in my frog pond to practice reboarding and ended up with maybe a cup or two of water. Maybe 10 of 15 min upside down. If you got a gal. a min. leak better start looking for a bilge pump or another yak...

Having your boat upside down is normal?

You should ALWAYS have a bilge pump.

MikeinFresno

• Herring
my OK T13 doesn't leak like this either.

Tohopko

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
That really does sound like a reasonable amount of leakage.  NO, I wouldn't think your boat should normally be upside down, but it happens.  Taking on that much water seems a little extreme.  Have other Outback owners had the same experience?  New bungies shouldn't be that loose.

Did I read somewhere that some people were changing out the gaskets on the front hatch to seal better?

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
I haven't had that much water in mine while practicing self rescue.  ???  I've had at most a few cups of water end up in my hull.  I think there is something wrong with that one.
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

MikeinFresno

• Herring
. It seems simple to solve to me...if the seal were made taller it would then seal against the plastic lid...but that would not work for the bucket when installed...it would need a lip for the bucket to tuck into so that it would leave rubber above it to seal to the lid....or, the seal could be made wider so that it seals against the outer edge of the plastic lid where it rolls over...seems sooo easy, wonder why they have not done it??

My problem with rolling over is due to my back issues and lack of flexibility to twist around when reaching back to grab gear. I rolled over one other time for the same reason about two years ago. I need to be more conscious of my center of gravity when reaching back...I just have to remember to turn side ways n hang my feet over the side to do it.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I just have to remember to turn side ways n hang my feet over the side to do it.

I think failing to turn sideways is probably the #1 cause of a huli. 

Could always add weather stripping to the top of the bucket if you think you're boat is going to be upside down a long time.

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
After this years ORC I had at least 1.5 gallons of water in my Outback. I had waves breaking over the front for 8 hrs.

The front hatch just doesn't seal very well.

I think a bilge pump is almost as important as a PDF.  If you need it and don't have it, it's already too late.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Another vote for "the front hatches don't seal very well" - I have a Hobie Oasis (similar front hatch) and have had similar (but not quite as severe) results when practicing self-rescue. That said, my 2015 seems to seal tighter than my 2014 did, so maybe they're making improvements?

Agree with others on here: a hand-operated rust-proof bilge pump at the ready is a good idea for lots of reasons.

Please post back if you find a convenient way to make the front hatch more water-tight.

Fishboy

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Captain, do you have a favorite make and model in mind?