Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:43:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2015 Outback front hatch leak  (Read 7663 times)

crackergraham

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
I have a 2014 Outback and a 2015 Outback.  The 2014 can take on breakers for an extended amount of time and have almost 0 water inside.  The 2015 gets over a gallon.  Exact same conditions cause were pedaling side by side in both instances.  I'll have to inspect their design side by side to see if there are any obvious differences at the front hatch.  I think a call to the factory is warranted.
--—•—--
2nd Place 2015 Salmon Slayride
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Captain, do you have a favorite make and model in mind?

I accidentally sold my favorite one as it was in the hull of my 2014 Oasis when I sold it, and I don't remember the name. I think pretty much any kayak-friendly model will do. This one looks OK:

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Paddlers-Bilge-Pump/dp/B0020KAZIK/

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Captain, do you have a favorite make and model in mind?

I accidentally sold my favorite one as it was in the hull of my 2014 Oasis when I sold it, and I don't remember the name. I think pretty much any kayak-friendly model will do. This one looks OK:

http://www.amazon.com/Seattle-Sports-Paddlers-Bilge-Pump/dp/B0020KAZIK/
This is the one I have, works great and holds up to the salt......although never really had to use it except to make sure it works good.....the most water my 2013 outback has had is maybe a cup or 2 and that was at this year's ORC which I took some decent waves over the bow on my entire day of trying to head back south  :-\
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
... my entire day of trying to head back south  :-\

Ha! :)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Recommend that your bilge pump has a stainless pump shaft and be rebuildable - meaning it can be repaired or tuned up if it ever gets worn or broken. 

The Scotty 544K bilge pump is very common and is often rebadged for other companies. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I also had more water in my Outback than usual. Actually, quite a bit more. It is also a 2015. I am going to the high lakes tomorrow. Think I will be doing some experiments.
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

MikeinFresno

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Well.....I contacted my dealer. Used blue grease to identify the areas of the hatch that did not make contact. It only makes contact at about 25% of the circumference. Took it to the dealer for them to see. Sent pics, etc. Im told that Hobie is saying," too bad , that's the way they are, they are not made to be water proof." Not acceptable.

surforegon

• Lingcod
  • cannonbeachartz.com
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Was going over my 2015 Outback front lid. The hinged side is higher. The reason is the hinge is made of the same material as the lid. It doesn't flex enough to fully close. Maybe a tight bungee across the top.
Prowler Big Game 2, Hobie Outback,  Eddyline ultralite 12'               2016 junk jigs: Never seen that before. Second place.
2016 junk jigs: Most likely to be used as evidence in court. second place.

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Wow.  I run two pretty thick transducer and power cables under my hatch and I don't get that kind of leakage. 

Bilge pump?  Really?  I'm being serious here.  You don't think pool noodles and a plastic bottle is enough?  My worst water episode was when i strapped a hundred pound halibut on the back of my outback and it submerged the rudder line outlets.

How many of you carry a bilge pump?  Has it ever "saved" you?  Curious. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Mak2014

• Rockfish
  • Natural born fish killer
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I just leave a large microfiber towel inside the hull.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Wow.  I run two pretty thick transducer and power cables under my hatch and I don't get that kind of leakage. 

Be careful doing that with your transducer cables.  I did the same on my adventure and kinked the cable enough that it wouldn't operate correctly.

I though carrying a pump was SOP in the Ocean? Thankfully I've never had to use mine.

Martin

• Lingcod
  • AOTY: DAngler
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
I keep a sponge and a empty milk jug cut open for scooping water inside the yak...most liquid ive had in the yak was two inches of blood and water over a long day of fishing.
2016 - Hobie Outback Limited Edition #189
2012 - Hobie Outback

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
I expect to get a quart or so in my ol' Revo. I'm sure it is coming in the front hatch as well as the center hatch. I just pull the plug and drain it before loading it back on the rig and fresh water rinse back home. Nothing that has ever concerned me enough to need to bilge it out on the water, but I do always carry one with me for emergencies.  Btw, I do also run cables underneath the front hatch.

Now, if I can figure out a better way of keeping the STINK out of the hull! I never put fish or bait in there either. I keep hatches open to let it air out when stored. I've got some Mirazime but I'm stingey with it for use with other immersion gear. Anybody got a cheaper solution? Bleach? Vinegar? Baking soda? Simple Green didn't touch it...
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Be careful doing that with your transducer cables.  I did the same on my adventure and kinked the cable enough that it wouldn't operate correctly.

I though carrying a pump was SOP in the Ocean? Thankfully I've never had to use mine.

That's good to know.  I have run several FF cables through it.  I am hard on gear.  I just run them under, kneel on the hatch to make sure to REALLY kink it up good, and off I go.  I have holes all over my kayak.  I think I better just add one more...lol. 

Never have carried a pump...never have even come remotely close to needing it.  Even the "LOTS"  of water I describe, I doubt a pump would even suck it up.  maybe a cup without a lip or big sponge.  I guess a leak or flip could happen anywhere.   Hmm...something to think about. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything