Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:55:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Another Victim of the Hobie Seat Debacle  (Read 4393 times)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
While practing my self rescues in Hagg Lake at the paddle craft launch area I rolled my kayak back over and there was no seat left in it.  I wasnt that far off of the shore (or so I thought) but after lots of diving and dredging the bottom we couldnt find it.  I also lost my hat and of all the things to find on the bottom, I found that but no seat. 

For the rest of you with the new Hobie seats please learn from this and take the time to make a better leash or some other keeper for your seat.  It's not a question of "if", its a matter of "when".  I was planning on making a strap for mine when I heard about another member's seat being lost but I rolled my kayak lots of time before and never lost it so I figured there was no hurry to get it made.  Dont make the same mistake...

On a side note, if any one wants to practice their scuba diving, I know of a good place in Hagg Lake with some sunken treasure...
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
You might try to hire somebody to dive for it.  CBY lost a drive on the McKenzie and put a add on craigslist looking for somebody to dive for it.  He paid the guy a 100 bucks when he found his drive.  I need to dig something up for my seat when I get back home.

Dana
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I'll lend you a mask, snorkel, and fins if you want to give it a shot. Live in SW Portland

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Latest Update...

I found a used Vantage CT seat on Ebay.  I got it for a steal at only $255 + shipping   :o

I saw this one on Ebay and figured I better pick it up just in case I can't find mine.  I called some Hobie dealers and they said that it would be a 2 to 3 month wait to get a new seat from Hobie.  I guess they have enough seats to put out some boats but not enough stock to sell just the seats by themselves and with the AOTD tournament fast approaching I wanted to make sure I was able to peddle, and not paddle in the Ocean.

I haven't been back out to the lake to try and recover mine yet but I am planning on trying this Weds or Thursday (hopefully I can convince a friend of mine with a nice Lowrance 5 HDI FishFinder to come along and see if it can see the seat on the bottom).  Fingers crossed...
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
You ought to post a description of this incident on the Hobie Kayak Fishing Facebook page, and the kayak section of the Hobie Cat Forum, to alert other Hobie owners to this problem.

Why did your seat come off your kayak?  Do you think that there is a defect in the design of the seat, was the loss due to operator error, or was the loss due to some combination of these causes?

Ray Borbon

• Lingcod
  • Hook em and cook em
  • Date Registered: Aug 2012
Make a 500 dollar seat that's easy to lose. Money maker. Time to take up scuba. If that was a car maker there'd be a class action suit building. Sorry about your seat.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
We'll find it. 

The only challenge is finding it before someone else does.  The lake is dropping daily and we'll be out this week with snorkel gear.  It's was dropped in 9-12 feet of water Friday, and water level could be at least another foot lower by tomorrow.

I plan to drift over the area with my waterproof metal detector tied off to my kayak and dangling below far enough to pick up a signal with my 17" coil.   The detector control unit is waterproof to 10 feet itself, and has waterproof headphones on a reasonably long coiled cord so I can hear it.  In reality a chunk of metal tubing as big as the Hobie seat is, it should ring loud and clear at least 3-4 feet away or below the coil giving us a much smaller search area do flipper through. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
PM me if you really want to find it.  My friend Josh can find nearly anything on the bottom of a lake or river.  Including a drone in 30 feet of water on the bottom of the Willamette with one foot visibility.  He found my anchor as well.

BK

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2012
I plan to drift over the area with my waterproof metal detector tied off to my kayak and dangling below far enough to pick up a signal with my 17" coil.   The detector control unit is waterproof to 10 feet itself, and has waterproof headphones on a reasonably long coiled cord so I can hear it.  In reality a chunk of metal tubing as big as the Hobie seat is, it should ring loud and clear at least 3-4 feet away or below the coil giving us a much smaller search area do flipper through.

Good plan but the Vantage CT seat is mostly plastic isn't it?    I know my PA12 seat has a metal tubing frame but the new Vantage CT seat on our 2015 Outback appears to be some sort of composite.     Perhaps there's still enough metal in it for your detector.

Hope you guys find it!

dandj1958

• Rockfish
  • I fish like a girl
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Sorry you lost your seat hdpwipmonkey.  I'm going to secure mine today using one of the solutions the others have provided.  I love that seat and don't want to risk losing it.
Hope you find it.
Julie
AKA mrs. dannybay
2015 Hobie Revo 11
2012 Hobie Revo 11

Long_Shot

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Latest Update...
  I called some Hobie dealers and they said that it would be a 2 to 3 month wait to get a new seat from Hobie.
I guess I got lucky? I ordered my new seat last week and it took two days to arrive at my house.

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Latest Update...
  I called some Hobie dealers and they said that it would be a 2 to 3 month wait to get a new seat from Hobie.
I guess I got lucky? I ordered my new seat last week and it took two days to arrive at my house.
Who did you order it through?  Did you have to pay full price or did they offer it at a discount?  The guy at Kayak Shed told me 2 to 3 months.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Long_Shot

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
Latest Update...
Who did you order it through?  Did you have to pay full price or did they offer it at a discount?  The guy at Kayak Shed told me 2 to 3 months.
I contacted Hobie and asked for a discount because of the circumstances (attachment design flaw which they have changed for the next model), they agreed to a discount but asked me to go through a dealer which I did (NA). NA was a little excessive on the shipping cost but what can a guy do when Hobie required me to go through a dealer? Hobie even shipped it to me direct. 

That being the case, I would have rather found a deal like you did on ebay because you paid less than I did.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 08:46:13 PM by Long_Shot »

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Ok.  Thanks for the info.  I emailed Hobie and they told me the same thing.  To go through a dealer and I would be able to order one for a discount but they never told me what the discount would be.

I definitely got lucky finding that one on ebay though.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

anything