Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Picking first (real) kayak  (Read 5420 times)

Barnett

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jul 2015
Hey All,

I'm new to the area and looking for a kayak for fly fishing for salmon and perhaps some conventional angling for lingcod and halibut...maybe some crabbing.  I do plan to try a bunch of boats out, but I want to narrow down my search first.

Since my #1 game is fly fishing, I've been looking around for a used kayak with a nice open cockpit, without too much junk for line to get caught on.  My list so far is OK Prowler 13, Eddyline Caribbean 14, WS Tarpon 140.  Any other ideas?  I guess the WS Ride series is also pretty open.  Primary use would be Puget Sound but might make some forays to the open coast once in a while.  It would be great if I could find one with enough storage to go on overnight trips, or maybe 2-night trips occasionally.  Mostly looking at paddle boats because I'm worried about line getting caught on peddles.

Also, it's probably way out of my price range, but that new Eddyline C-135 looks intriguing.  Any thoughts on that new design?

Thanks!

Barnett

• Plankton
Oh, and I forgot to mention the Native Slayer 14.5 as another option.

MikeinFresno

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
do you plan on standing to throw your bugs?

Barnett

• Plankton
Mike, yeah I'd like to be able to stand up and cast when conditions are perfect.  But I also want a yak that will handle the rough stuff.

Ripndrag

• Lingcod
Look at the 155 thresher its stability is good and it will Handel the rough just fine
Take the sticker off your hat Bend the rim and go fishing!

cdat

If you're interested in used, I'm selling my Tarpon 140, (DWB's old yak), could arrange to meet somewhere between Portland and Seattle. 

John

Barnett

• Plankton
The Thresher is definitely a possibility.  I am thinking 14' is about the right balance for transport ease vs. big water ability.

John, yes I'd be interested in the used Tarpon.  I noticed one for sale in Seattle I was going to take a look at, but haven't done it yet.  Does yours have a rudder installed?

cdat

Yes it has the rudder, with pedals, and an anchor trolley.

John

Ry@n

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Barnett. It sounds like you and I are in the same boat.  I am in the market too and I have similar requirements(open cockpit for the fly). 
What did you end up with if anything?
I am interested in the Eddyling too.  It seems to be dropping in price too.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Either of you consider a Jackson big tuna? It's my "aircraft carrier"  :banjo: here's smilingkayaker standing on my bow in the ocean out of Pacific City. I average 245lbs he's around 170 I'm guessing. It's tandem with solo capabilitys and someone has a pair for sale on here.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
What line are you worried about tangling in the pedals?  If that's of concern, you also have to think about tangling the line in the paddle, or the hatch latches, or the seat adjusters (in a Tarpon, for sure).  There are about a hundred different places and ways to tangle a fly line in a kayak.

You might want to make your own or buy a stripping mat.  I fish the rivers in a Tarpon 100, and made my mat when the line snagged in the hatch latch.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:30:14 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I know of a nice OK Trident 15 with Hummingbird color gps / depth finder available in the Seattle area.  Fantastic boat for the salt and it will definitely hold enough to camp out of.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I'm not trying to get in anyone's way of a sale, but I would recommend demoing a Tarpon 140 before you buy it to stand in. I'm 5'11" and reasonably athletic (for a desk jockey) and I wouldn't be able to cast a fly standing in mine; I've stood in it and pitched some panfish lures in dead calm glass, and that was enough for me.

But I love the Tarpon overall and it handles rough water pretty well.

dawg/duck13

• Rockfish
Either of you consider a Jackson big tuna? It's my "aircraft carrier"  :banjo: here's smilingkayaker standing on my bow in the ocean out of Pacific City. I average 245lbs he's around 170 I'm guessing. It's tandem with solo capabilitys and someone has a pair for sale on here.

Mojo, I'm the one selling my BT's. If I were to fly fish out of it, I would for sure do the flat tank for the "tuna tank" lid. Then the standing area is more plus its less to hang the line on. It's a good boat at I really liked the idea of when I got it (i thought my kids would want to go more, but that didn't happen). Jason and I ended up taking the 2015 out Once. So, its just sat for almost 8 months now.
2015 Hobie Revo 16 <----the "Limousine"
2015 Hobie Outback (Sold)
2015 Jackson Big Tuna (Sold)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm not trying to get in anyone's way of a sale, but I would recommend demoing a Tarpon 140 before you buy it to stand in.

I wouldn't interfere either, but it's a good point.  My Tarpon 100 is wider than the Tarpon 120 or 140.  I can stand in my Tarpon in the right conditions but I don't feel stable standing up and casting my fly rods.  Your mileage my vary.

On the other hand, I can throw a dry fly sixty feet, with accuracy, using an 8wt while sitting.  It takes practice, but it's not that difficult.  The more narrow Tarpon 140 or Trident 15 wouldn't affect casting from a seated position, and they're sweet boats.

And your grace, poise, and sense of balance might be far superior to mine.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 04:48:30 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything