Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:23:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2024, 09:12:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Pickled Rockfish  (Read 4286 times)

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Around the holidays its been a tradition in my family to have pickled herring out with all the other snacks, and is one of my favorites! It was usually a big store bought jar from the deli section, but my mother used to make it from scratch and was not surprisingly, way better than the store bought. We had pickled kokanee, trout, perch, or just about anything we caught a lot of back then. Unfortunately she is no longer with us and I have been unable to find her (old German) recipe. Searching the internet one of the results came back with a link to ifish for a recipe that looks as close as I could remember, and I had to try it. I had a ton of rockfish in my freezer and pulled out about 3 lbs. of it followed the recipe which yielded about 9 pints a couple weeks ago. The only problem now is I'm down to 1 jar left!!!
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=338494

Time for another batch! Oh... and some pickled EGGS TOO!

Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's a good idea...I can't seem to have enough surplus of herring to pickle any, so I think I'll give this a try.

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Around the holidays its been a tradition in my family to have pickled herring out with all the other snacks, and is one of my favorites! It was usually a big store bought jar from the deli section, but my mother used to make it from scratch and was not surprisingly, way better than the store bought. We had pickled kokanee, trout, perch, or just about anything we caught a lot of back then. Unfortunately she is no longer with us and I have been unable to find her (old German) recipe. Searching the internet one of the results came back with a link to ifish for a recipe that looks as close as I could remember, and I had to try it. I had a ton of rockfish in my freezer and pulled out about 3 lbs. of it followed the recipe which yielded about 9 pints a couple weeks ago. The only problem now is I'm down to 1 jar left!!!
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=338494

Time for another batch! Oh... and some pickled EGGS TOO!
This stuff is AMAZING!!!
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
My mother was from Denmark and made pickled herring. I got a couple of recipes from my older brother and shared them with bb2fish earlier this year. I am not sure if  they were exactly what my mom used to do. Unfortunately, the day we went to the coast to fish for herring, they had already departed so it's on for 2016. I can search around for those if you want. I remember my mom's was loaded with peppercorns and thinly sliced onion. We lived on the south coast and had Danish friends in Eugene. About once a year our friends would make a run to Portland when the herring were available in barrels and my folks would put in their order. They were a lot bigger than the ones you buy for bait.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I like pickled fish, and frequently pickle pike and kokanee.  It’s a great way to use bony fish – I’ve pickled pike with the “Y” bones still in, northern pikeminnow (formerly known as squawfish, a notoriously bony fish), and small kokanee cut into slices with all the bones still in, and the bones disappear.  But it isn’t easy to find pickled fish recipes.  Does anybody know of any books or websites which have a lot of pickled fish recipes?  I also have a great recipe for pickled duck or pickled heart.  Last year I pickled two elk hearts, and loved it.  But many people have never tasted pickled fish, and when you offer pickled fish, a frequent response is something like “no thanks, that sounds gross.”

Here’s some pictures of pickling kokanee:

And here’s some pictures of pickling elk heart:

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Burong Isda ... look it up!

-Allen