Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:43:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: How are you transporting your 16' kayak?  (Read 7506 times)

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

The Nissan does not have factory rails on the cab.  In the photo, does your Tacoma have factory rails on the cab or are you using something aftermarket?

My Taco does have factory racks over the cab, but I only use them to protect the roof and to strap the bows down instead of using a bow line. I have 66" Yakima bars mounted on the Snugtop as my primary rack. The factory bars are just bonus.

The trailer is my go to method though. It can be a pain in the ass for parking and storage sometimes, but it makes up for that in every other way!! I just leave it loaded in the garage, so there's no loading in the morn. Just hook up and roll. The best part is no saltwater on/in my truck!!  Cleaning all your gear after a multi mile ocean trip can make for a LONG day. When you rooftop, your truck becomes a part of that clean up too. With the trailer I just leave everything in place and rinse right on the trailer. Push it in the garage, and DONE! Cuts a solid 30min to an hour off the process.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 07:42:02 AM by polyangler »
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
See!  See!  That's another thing I hadn't thought of: saltwater on the roof of the truck.  Good tip.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 05:47:05 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I got into looking at the cost of all the roof rack kits and whatnot. With the added benefit of keeping saltwater off my truck, the trailer is not out of the running.   First world problems...
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
I highly recommend it if you've got the room to store one. Comes with its own set of challenges.

Pros:  WAY easier to load being low to the ground, protects your vehicle in several ways, saves time on set up and clean up, and the list goes on.

Cons: Can be a lot to store, registration (in WA anyhow), minor maintenance (bearing lubes/tires), sometimes parking, and just hauling a trailer vs simply driving are really the biggest ones.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Lee, are the kayaks supported only on the bed cap?  I don't see a rack on the cab of the truck in your photo.
Correct.  I also bring a tub of water with salt away and use my bilge pump to spray my boats down.  Gets rid of salt water and everything is ready to put away when I get home.   On long trips I add an additional strap from the front bar to the tube steps to lower stress on the racks.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

Murrica

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I have a Hobie PA 14 and is the bed extender in my F150.  I am going to drill and mount some lights into the bottom of the bed extender for safety.  One thing I could recommend for the 16' would be to talk to a local steel or aluminum fabricator and see what it would cost to have an extender mad to the right length so you don't have too much overhang for length laws and then attach some lights to it for the safety part so you don't have to always worry about a flag. 
Team Alpenglow Mountainsport
Hobie Fishing Team

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I also bring a tub of water with salt away and use my bilge pump to spray my boats down.

I just noticed the "bilge pump" in your answer, Lee.  Not wanting to totally hijack the thread, but do you have a bilge pump in a kayak?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I also bring a tub of water with salt away and use my bilge pump to spray my boats down.

I just noticed the "bilge pump" in your answer, Lee.  Not wanting to totally hijack the thread, but do you have a bilge pump in a kayak?

You should too.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm still on small rivers and can pretty much walk to shore if the Tarpon sinks... so I have a sponge.

I saw a YouTube video yesterday where the fellow has an electric bilge pump, and thought Lee  might have been talking about one of those.

Dray

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Dave

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've only carried my 16' AI on my Tacoma bed rack that I normally carry yaks on so far. However I have no doubt my Yak-A-Haul-It trailer will be hauling it just fine.  I should probably validate this thought by actually assembling the truck, trailer, kayak combo and make sure I don't need to make a longer slip in tongue for the trailer. 

I had originally made the tongue long enough when I built it, as I was looking at Hobies at the time and not sure which model I was going to get.  once I got my Revo 13, I went ahead and chopped a few feet off the slip in tongue as it was just extra weight I didn't need.

BTW, my AI is NOT in this picture.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 11:57:47 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Well, as it turns out, the temporary answer was right under my nose all along (or rather, in my garage).  I would still like to get a dedicated solution, but that will have to wait for some other time. 

For now, I think the bed divider/extender that came with my truck will fit the bill. The front of the boat shouldn't stick up over the cab much farther than it would on a roof rack, and the stern shouldn't hang out any farther or lower than my 13.5' paddle yak does sitting flat in the bed.  Close enough for government work!  I feel like this is a good enough solution to proceed with ordering the boat.  Thanks again to everyone who offered their great ideas!

« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 03:46:18 PM by Low_Sky »
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Well, as it turns out, the temporary answer was right under my nose all along (or rather, in my garage).  I would still like to get a dedicated solution, but that will have to wait for some other time. 

For now, I think the bed divider/extender that came with my truck will fit the bill. The front of the boat shouldn't stick up over the cab much farther than it would on a roof rack, and the stern shouldn't hang out any farther or lower than my 13.5' paddle yak does sitting flat in the bed.  Close enough for government work!  I feel like this is a good enough solution to proceed with ordering the boat.  Thanks again to everyone who offered their great ideas!

And it's inexpensive!  I like cheap solutions the most...

Will you use something like those aftermarket foam pads to protect the cab (and keep the bow in place)?

I'll only offer one suggestion: I made the PC "fork" that I lash to the bed extender to keep the kayaks from shifting side-to-side during turns and on curves without having to lash the hulls too tightly.  You might want to put something like that at the back of your bed extender.  Those hulls can be mighty slippery.

Let us know when you have the new boat.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I purchased these racks a few months back:

http://www.amazon.com/TMS-PICK-UP-RACK-650-Pound-Adjustable-Utility/dp/B009VOQ05U/ref=sr_1_14?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1444668763&sr=1-14&keywords=kayak+carrier

They are MUCH cheaper than others I've seen and work great.

Definitely the least expensive I've stumbled across so far.  Good find.