Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:19:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[Today at 10:57:58 AM]

[Today at 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: nucanoe Pursuit  (Read 6211 times)

Ry@n

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Anyone have any experience with the Nucanoe Pursuit?  I am wondering how it will perform in the PNW environments.  Specifically Columbia River Salmon, Sturgeon, Bass fishing and some offshore?  Most of the reviews on this boat come from Eastern bass fishers. 

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
They're not a real popular NW boat as they are fairly wide and a bit slow. They will do okay for the water you mentioned but wouldn't be your first choice for fighting current or wind, like you will often do on the Columbia or offshore.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
There're are some discussions from owners about durability issues.  Do a Google search. 
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Ry@n

• Krill
Thanks guys. 
As far as the durability, the only thing that comes up is the screws for the seat.  Nothing shocking has turned up.  I have been researching this boat and others for a while now.  I realize that there are tradeoffs to any boat,  the issue I have are with my requirements.  I like to stand and sight fish a little as well as troll.  The Pursuit is on my short list of boats inbecause of the clean deck (fly casting)its seems like a good "all around"  boat.   
I am new to kayak fishing and it seems like the boat of Choice in the NW is a 12-14'x30" style.
I could see myself with 2 eventually.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
You may be over-thinking the difficulty of fly-fishing from a kayak, and underestimating the difficulty of fly-fishing from a canoe.  Each is going to present it's own unique problems.

It might be best to think about where you'll fish first, find the boat that is best suited to those conditions - wind, current, swell, etc, - rather than decide on a boat and try to figure out how to make it work in conditions for which it may not have been designed.

If you want a Nucanoe, go for it.  It's not a kayak, I don't own one, and cannot speak to how suitable they are for fly fishing or for the areas where you plan to fish.

Ry@n

• Krill
Ok  rethink.  My goal is to fish the Columbia for fish, mostly salmon, and paddle across for fish on the other side.  It would be nice to sight fish for Bass and Carp with a fly rod.  what boat would you suggest??

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
What's your budget? Pedal power has a pretty good advantage on the Columbia vs paddle, assuming you're not a long term paddler. PA12 might be a nice ride for what you describe. Or even an outback.

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Ry@n

• Krill
What's your budget? Pedal power has a pretty good advantage on the Columbia vs paddle, assuming you're not a long term paddler. PA12 might be a nice ride for what you describe. Or even an outback.

I have some $ to spend and the Outback was on my short list of kayaks.  I know that pedaling may be better for fishing, but for some reason I like the Idea of the paddle?  I guess because I ride bikes all the time?

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

I have some $ to spend and the Outback was on my short list of kayaks.  I know that pedaling may be better for fishing, but for some reason I like the Idea of the paddle?  I guess because I ride bikes all the time?
Get one of each ;D,,then buy a few more  >:D it's addicting

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I could be wrong, but I don't think many folks up here stand to fish in their kayak.  We rarely have the right combination of wind-water conditions that would allow us to stand safely.  It's more of a flat-ass-calm warm water technique, should one turtle or Louganis.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, but it's hard to discuss a kayak for a technique that isn't common in this area.

If you've never owned a kayak before and (or) have no experience in the areas you want to fish, it might be a Really Good Idea to take advantage of one of the excellent boats up for sale by other forum members.  They're all going to be great fishing platforms, and you can buy into the madness at a bargain price, get some experience, and form your own ideas about what works for you and what doesn't.

Nothing wrong with asking to test any of the boats being offered for sale.

For some of us, buying a kayak is an evolutionary process, and they get sold or replaced not because they're junk but because we are expanding our horizons.  Of course, some of us just like to buy kayaks and run out of places to store them...

Widgeonmangh

• Lingcod
  • Fishing Kayaks of Gig Harbor
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
You might look at a boat that was designed to stand in.  The Wavewalk is perfect for standing up and fly fishing out of and a lot of people use them in FL and TX on the flats for sight fishing.  I can stand up and shoot my 12 gauge shotgun out of it and regularly do (especially when chasing cripples).  They are super stable for standing and casting.

The key to any of these boats is to take them on a test paddle and bring your fly rod.  I have seen some cool advertising with people fly fishing standing up in their kayaks........... on perfectly calm water,  but I just rarely fish that kind of water.  lol. 

Fish on the right side that's where the fish are! John 21:6

I am no longer a dealer for Wavewalk but if you ever want to paddle one let me know!

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
I could be wrong, but I don't think many folks up here stand to fish in their kayak.  We rarely have the right combination of wind-water conditions that would allow us to stand safely.  It's more of a flat-ass-calm warm water technique, should one turtle or Louganis.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't try it, but it's hard to discuss a kayak for a technique that isn't common in this area.
I wouldn't say standing isn't useful.  The NWKA region covers a lot of water.

If your fishing benefits from seeing through the surface reflection, standing is a big help.  One of my 2016 goals is to develop this skill.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 10:53:12 PM by Dark Tuna »

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
And neither did I say it wasn't useful, only that we don't often enjoy the conditions that make standing practical - and safe.

cdat

I bought a Hobie PA 12 last year, I stand and fly fish in it all the time, again, that's based on current conditions. I have stood in it on the Willamette, not tried the C yet, but probably will this spring. It really is a pretty stable platform.  Might try renting one and seeing what you think.

John