Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 07:55:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 05:23:17 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 04:21:47 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Jackson Kraken 15.5 Vs. Jackson Cuda 14  (Read 6182 times)

Kayakin' Blaise

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with Jackson Kayaks but I'm jumping on a few deals between the Kraken 15.5 and the Cuda 14. I'm a bigger guy (6'1" 200+ lbs) and I am asking you ocean fishermen what you guys think of the two for inshore fishing?

Is the Cuda 14 a good deal for a couple hundred less than the kraken or should I jump on the Kraken wagon?

Thanks!
Evan

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I'm in a Jackson Big Tuna at 14 ft and 36 inches wide it plenty stable for me , only huli'ed once and it was my fault for not leaning fast enough.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

RunolfsonIII

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have a Cuda 14 and I like it. I prefer to paddle it in the lower seat position. I can stand in it no problem. I haven't had it in the ocean yet. I have a rudder and think it is worth having. If I were looking at either a new Kraken or Cuda 14 then i would probably go with Kraken for my ambition to hit the salt and I like the fish finder scupper. There are few other things I like about the Kraken but I haven't paddled one yet.
2019 Native Slayer 13 Propel
2018 Native Titan 10.5 Propel
2015 WS Commander 120

Kayakin' Blaise

• Herring
Sounds awesome. Thanks for the info guys! I think I have picked one for the new journey ahead!

mzs6

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Just curious, which did you go for?  Have you demo both?  Tried the thresher 15 and the kraken 13.5 at paddle fest.  Liked the kraken better feels a lot faster.  Like you i dont own one but also contemplating.  My bro was on the cuda ans he liked it.

Kayakin' Blaise

• Herring
Just curious, which did you go for?  Have you demo both?  Tried the thresher 15 and the kraken 13.5 at paddle fest.  Liked the kraken better feels a lot faster.  Like you i dont own one but also contemplating.  My bro was on the cuda ans he liked it.

I went with the Mraken 15.5. Honestly, you can't beat the seat in the Jackson kayaks compared to the wilderness systems. The Kraken is VERY fast. And if I were a bit smaller I would definitely be on a Kraken 13.5. That's where your money should go!

Let me know if you have any questions. I met with Jim Sammons a few times about the design of the Kraken.

mzs6

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2016
If you dont mind me asking how tall are you?  Im 5'7" and trying to figure out what lenght paddle to get.  I am set on the kraken 13.5. Actually gonna be heading down there Oregon to demo it some more.  Got any recommendation as far as which dealer is better?  Closer to portland.  Thanks

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Kayak Shed in Hood River is a Jackson dealer.

I had been on an OK T-13 for 5 years. I picked up a Kraken 13.5 last week and put it through the paces up at Neah Bay. I'll get a review together, but in short, I'm very happy with my decision.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 03:01:34 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

I had been on an OK T-13 for 5 years. I picked up a Kraken 13.5 last week and put it through the paces up at Neah Bay. I'll get a review together, but in short, I'm very happy.

And you paddled it all over that bay/ocean like a champ. Beach launch/landing looked good too. Was a pleasure fishing with you this past weekend
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

I had been on an OK T-13 for 5 years. I picked up a Kraken 13.5 last week and put it through the paces up at Neah Bay. I'll get a review together, but in short, I'm very happy.

And you paddled it all over that bay/ocean like a champ. Beach launch/landing looked good too. Was a pleasure fishing with you this past weekend

You as well John. When I hang out with folks as nice as you and Nat it goes a long way to restoring a portion of my faith in humanity.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Kayakin' Blaise

• Herring
If you dont mind me asking how tall are you?  Im 5'7" and trying to figure out what lenght paddle to get.  I am set on the kraken 13.5. Actually gonna be heading down there Oregon to demo it some more.  Got any recommendation as far as which dealer is better?  Closer to portland.  Thanks

I am 6'1". However, I am 230lbs. That's why i went with the 15. I would say Kayak shed in Hood River. That's what Ling Banger has given me insight on.

I bought mine at a dealer in San Diego. It was very worth it. I may end up losing some weight so I can get the 13 because I love the looks of it haha!

Any other info you need let me know!
Evan W.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Definitely do the Kraken. The Cuda is alright but NOT a big water paddler IMO. The Kraken handles surf and chop like a champ and trucks along at a good pace. It is a bit heavy but at the length/weight most others brands are the same. The Kraken is really responsive in surf and gives you a ton of confidence when you have lots of gear aboard. The layout is perfect and it probably has the biggest tankwell in the business.
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

anything