Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:02:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: i11s fishing test  (Read 6136 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
rigging worked great on a 6 hour test ride all the way around Siltcoos, easy to troll 2 rods, rocket launchers place the reels right beside me.  Front deck is clear, small soft cooler up front for my radio and some small stuff, easy to access the BlackPac box behind by just turning in the seat...wind kicked up some 1-2' waves that I needed to go into for a mile or so and there was lots of spray, some flexing of the hull, but the boat is really stable and fast...cheers, roger
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
The real question is how many fish did you put in the boat?
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
The real question is how many fish did you put in the boat?

thought I would bump into a bass or two, maybe some perch but nothing wanted to play.  Siltcoos is mostly empty this time of year, except for the loons, mallards, canada geese, 2 young bald eagles up the Fiddle Creek arm, wood ducks, lots of coots... ;D

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Well either way it was a good shakedown. How is the stability on the i11s compared to your Oasis?
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thank you for the review! I've been really curious about these. Looks like a very viable platform. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

How tight does it pack down? I'm sure I can find info online but I'm curious from your perspective.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Nice report, I took my i11s out on Hagg last Friday for maiden voyage and really like it.  I'm new to the pedal stuff so it was quite a change to not have a paddle in hand or resting on my lap.  I have paddled an inflatable for a couple of years and the pedals take some getting used to.  Very stable and dry ride. 

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
How much does the boat flex with each pedal stroke?  How rigid does it feel?

Dan_E

• Lingcod
There's no flex that I could tell, the drop stitch floors are very firm and nothing like the old air mattress type inflatables of long ago.  I inflate to 4psi and it is firm and stable under foot.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
Thank you for the review! I've been really curious about these. Looks like a very viable platform. I'm looking forward to more pictures.

How tight does it pack down? I'm sure I can find info online but I'm curious from your perspective.

definitely different from the Oasis (something I wanted), the i11s really glides over the water but at higher speed (>5mph) or in choppy water there is slight flex in the forward hull, not from pedaling but from crashing over waves.  Wind has very little effect on it which is great, but lots of spray from small wind waves, this is a 'get wet' boat.    The deck feels totally solid, no flex and I can still stand fairly easily on the deck in front of the seat, even with all my gear on it.

yesterday I had the skeg installed and it definitely slowed the steering response; without it the boat turns on a dime, even at low speed.  the skeg made using the paddle much easier.

as for packing, it folds in thirds to fit in the roller bag and it is a fair amount of work to get it all stuffed in there, not sure the exact size of the bag.  I have been transporting it in our small SUV with the hatch closed by just folding it in half.  This allows for really fast inflation as the large center chamber does not need to be empty-  I just let all the air out of the small side chambers and then just enough from the center to make the fold.

I am storing my inflated by hanging it with 3 straps under it, it's only 40#.  There is a recall/retrofit on these due to a steering issue-  the tube that the control lines run through it can develop a problem due to folding it and storing it that way.  It is possible to pack it up while avoiding folding the tube which delays or eliminates the need for the retrofit...my steering is working fine so far.

my next test is going to be taking it down on the Siuslaw near the bar so that I can get it into some bigger waves and swells, that will help me decide what sort of ocean conditions it might be fun in.   cheers, roger

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
What do you think of the seat height?  Give us a report after you get it out in some real ocean waves and/or river waves.  It looks pretty high, but considering how wide the boat is, perhaps the height isn't enough to make the boat unstable?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:37:04 PM by pmmpete »

Dan_E

• Lingcod
What do you think of the seat height?  Give us a report after you get it out in some real ocean waves and/or river waves.  It looks pretty high, but considering how wide the boat is, perhaps the height isn't enough to make the boat unstable?

The seat has a high and low position, in the high it didn't feel unstable or tippy to me.  I haven't tried the low position but I think it would be even more stable.  It has four feet on the seat that can be set for high or low position, it isn't adjustable while on the water unless you disassemble the seat.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

The seat has a high and low position, in the high it didn't feel unstable or tippy to me.  I haven't tried the low position but I think it would be even more stable.  It has four feet on the seat that can be set for high or low position, it isn't adjustable while on the water unless you disassemble the seat.

I am also finding the high seat position just fine so far but I have tried both (low feels really stable, this thing is WIDE) and it isn't too difficult to adjust on the water.   I turned around and did it from a kneeling position in front of the seat, 2 legs at a time:  loosed the rear straps, tilted seat towards me, changed those posts from high to low (or low to high), tighten those straps.  Repeat for the front two legs.   The legs, as expected, are connected to the seat with little stretchy ropes so no risk of losing one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:04:44 AM by rogerdodger »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks, Roger.

I've been wondering how it handles waves and chop.  Surprised to learn that it does a good job shedding the wind, and am looking forward to reading about your up-coming test drives.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Man the i11 is awesome, it will impress whoever gets on it! Super stable and much quicker than you think! Standing on is also easy as well! Lacking on storage and rigging options for some people but for the pack light and go it's awesome!

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Great review and discussion guys.  I have been toying around with getting an i11 since they were released, but have been waiting until I heard some first hand reports.