Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie hatch handle difficulties  (Read 3167 times)

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Hi,
The hatch on my Hobie Revolution has been difficult to secure the last couple of times I have taken it out, and today I noticed that the metal pin that secures it is falling out. Has anyone had this happen? If so, how did you fix it.
Thanks
Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's a roll pin that seems to have come loose. 
Rotate the handle (i assume you can) towards OPEN, then you should be able to use a punch with a hammer and tap it back in.  It might come loose again since there was likely some material that gave way.  If you can get a hold of the roll pin with a needle nose and pull it out, you can flare the roll pin a tiny little bit so it grabs new material when you punch it back in. 

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
That's a roll pin that seems to have come loose. 
Rotate the handle (i assume you can) towards OPEN, then you should be able to use a punch with a hammer and tap it back in.  It might come loose again since there was likely some material that gave way.  If you can get a hold of the roll pin with a needle nose and pull it out, you can flare the roll pin a tiny little bit so it grabs new material when you punch it back in.
Thanks bb2fish, I'll work on it today when I'm done Kokanee fishing. Hopefully I can find a way to keep that roll pin from coming out again.

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
If you use a thin, flat blade screwdriver, you can move the roll pin back into the far side of the handle......the handle is plastic and "gives in" to the metal roll pin very easily.
Just align the handle as you push the pin into the far side.

Voyager

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2013
I find that if you spray the rubber gasket with silicon occasionially it makes closing the hatch much easier.

Kyle M

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
These hatches could certainly use a design upgrade. They are difficult to close, the gaskets tend to roll, and the plastic handle is too flimsy. I'm also resetting that pin quite often.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The O-rings on Hobie's hatches have various flat surfaces on them.  It's a lousy design, because the O-ring gets twisted, and then the hatch jams part of the way open.  I wish I could replace the Hobie O-ring with an O-ring with a standard round cross section, which should work better. Does anybody know where I can buy an O-ring with the correct diameter and thickness?

FireFly

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
The O-rings on Hobie's hatches have various flat surfaces on them.  It's a lousy design, because the O-ring gets twisted, and then the hatch jams part of the way open.  I wish I could replace the Hobie O-ring with an O-ring with a standard round cross section, which should work better. Does anybody know where I can buy an O-ring with the correct diameter and thickness?
Maybe try these guys...

http://www.o-rings.com/
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I think the hatch's biggest design flaw is that water ends up sitting above the seal, and in the handle recess. When you open the hatch, all that water falls in. Go in and out of your hatch enough times in a day, and that adds up to a lot of water in the hull.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Soda Fish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I'm experiencing the same issue. I constantly find myself resetting it. I would love to hear if you find a permanent solution. Thanks!