Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:40:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: World Traveling and Kayak Fishing. An update from the far side of the world  (Read 3501 times)

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Hey all, been a long time since I gave an update,  been to quite a few countries, developed some new hobbies, and played a part in establishing the first ever Project Healing Waters Program in Europe.

This is in the Adriatic sea off the coast of Croatia. 
Started building fishing rods too, 

This was my first real rod build, mostly a practice rod.  handle is made of german pine and birch bark with a red stag antler butt

Built this steelhead rod for my dad, hoping he will get some use from it on salmon and steelhead in New York.

This one is for me.  still not finished,  i actually ended up doing the wrapping while on staff duty,  took 18 hrs for the threadwork, which was fine cause it made the day and night go by real fast
Also, spent a few months in Israel for work.  That was an experience,  danger around every corner,  driving was insane.  Had some free time to go explore the country when I wasn't working, fished the Mediterranean from shore, though my neck ended up being sorer than my arm because, damn, Israeli chicks with M4s on beaches. 
They got Hobies and RAM Mounts in Israel, saw this dude rocking it off the breakwaters in Tel Aviv

also took a trip into Jerusalem, 

This is the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem, the supposed site of the crucifixion and tomb of Christ. According to Catholics, if you place an item on this rock, and pray over it (where Christ was laid prior to being put in the tomb) then take it into the tomb and do the same thing, it becomes a holy relic.
I have a Holy Relic Fly Rod.
and finally,  I am the assistant program lead and media coordinator for Project Healing Waters Fly Fishing  - Rheinland Pfalz Program under the Europe Region.  Took quite a while for us to go through the legal process and get the program established, but I am proud to say we will be having our inaugural fly tying and casting clinic tomorrow.  I certainly have to thank Dino and the rest of the HOW NW crew for allowing me to be part of HOW-NW as the lessons learned and experience i gained from volunteering with them all has been crucial in the establishment and soon to be execution of PHWFF-Europe. 

also, check out our FB page,
https://www.facebook.com/phwffeurope/
final note,  every PHWFF Program needs a fishing club to sponsor it, hence, Backwater Fishing Europe was born.  It's basically just what the group of guys I fish with call ourselves, and the official club sponsoring PHWFF-Rheinland Pfalz.  I did up a sweet t-shirt design and started a tee spring campaign which all proceeds benefit PHWFF-E. 

Front

Back

https://teespring.com/Backwaterfishingeurope

oh yeah, and allegedly there aren't any fish in the dead sea, but I had to find out for sure.

Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

smilinkayaker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Man all I can say is SAWEEEET!!! awesome pics, nice rods, all off it!! Stay safe and tight lines!!

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Good stuff!! Thanks for sharing!

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Really enjoyed those.  The holy relic rod shot is awesome.  If you make it North the Transylvanian vampire trout don't stand a chance and I'm sure it would be a great tool for dealing with demonic possessed Zander.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Awesome report from Europe! Thank you.

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Thanks for the great post!  Great work and stay safe!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
That is awesome what you're doing out there! Keep us updated when you're able!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Totally cool post Fil . Thanks for sharing the latest with us . But something is missing from your post..... The chicks with the M4's....... ::)
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

wreglmed

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I'll make sure to leave the kit on my next trip to the Dead Sea. Nice work - way to represent.

YakBum

• Lingcod
  • guided by Wind and Emotion
  • http://www.heroesonthewater.org
  • Date Registered: Jul 2012
Thanks all,  there is no end to adventure here, and raubfische season (predators) starts 1 june,  that's when the real fishing starts.  also have a trip planned for Gozo this summer, a small island off the boot of Italy.  you know there's gonna be some hardcore fishing involved there. 
Call me FIL THE CHUB MASTER!

anything