Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:34:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Couple questions for you guys  (Read 7599 times)

Kalph

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Since i got the xfactor i know i need some other things. What do you recommend? Dont have tons of money to spend. So i gotta be cheap. Even if comfort isnt at its peak. Was checking ebay and found a bunch.

Anchor trolley

Anchor and 550 cord

Kayak cart

Kayak paddle or oar and what size 240cm? 2 piece since im using a car. Not too concerned with weight as in gonna be moving and stopping a bunch.

Seat recommendations?

Pfd's?

Kalph

• Rockfish
Checking ebay for stuff and a lot of it is kind of cheap. Which means if it does break i can replace easily without being out of commission while i save to buy a new one. Plenty there tho

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Just one thing: don't scrimp on the PFD.  There's cheap and there's too cheap.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Just one thing: don't scrimp on the PFD.  There's cheap and there's too cheap.

This 100% - There's things you can skimp on and things you shouldn't. Very few things are needed to get out on the water but a quality PFD is one of them, if you're not comfortable wearing it then you likely won't, and that's what can get you in trouble.  If you have a kayak shop nearby you should definitely go and try them on - folks here can give recommendations, but until you try it on you will never know what works best for you.

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Kalph

• Rockfish
Yeah for a pfd, i wont buy it without trying it. My wife understands that.

But either way im a first class swimmer according USMC standards just in case I decide to bail haha

But for any of the other stuff? Any recommendations?

Matt M

• Sturgeon
I don't paddle my kayak so I can't give recommendation on the brand or type of paddle, I am sure others here can though...

I would say before you outfit the kayak with extra rod holders, fish finder, etc. Take the kayak out several times so that you can visualize and see where you would like things and where it would be convenient for you.

I would take a look at DIY solutions for the anchor trolley, you will want synthetic anchor line, either cheap nylon line or something like paracord although paracord seems to have issues with getting tangled up for me.

Check out this site for anchor trolley and more DIY solutions - Kayak cart and more if you are crafty.
http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.com/
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Paddle length is a matter of kayak width, seat height, torso length, arm length, and shoulder width.

In other words, try different lengths - and I mean for a day, not 10 minutes.

Cant help with the anchor - I haven't gone there yet because I don't have the experience base yet. Anchoring is a good way to get in trouble FAST, so I am going slowly on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tohopko

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Keith,  I have a couple of PFDs...a Stohlquist Ebb and a NRS Chinook both in S/M if you want to see how they fit and feel.  I also have paddles in 220 and 240 (although I can't imagine a 220 working well with the X-factor).  Since you purchased through Chip, I'm sure you have already tried out the Ebb.

I set up my anchor trolley with a kit from ACK, but haven't used it yet in a half dozen trips out.  You will want to set up "leashes" for a set of hemostats and some fish grips, as well as anything else you don't want to lose.  Rod holders should wait until you have fished the boat at least once so you can see where you want them.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
My humble advice would be to watch as many Youtube videos on kayak rigging as you can handle to see what other guys have done.  I picked up lots of ideas before I rigged my two outbacks.  There are lots of cool things you can do, or over do to your kayaks.

Secondly, before you cut, drill, attach, etc, anything, secure it in the location with tape, sit in your kayak, and see if you can reach it, figure out how you will use it, determine if it's the best place for it, figure out if it will conflict with anything else that you will have near by, figure out if that location will hurt you if you flip or roll the kayak in the surf.

As for finding things inexpensively, this forum is a good place, as many of us have extra items, upgraded items, that are collecting dust. If you are looking for something, post a question here, and more than likely, someone may have an extra one they want to part with.

Good Luck.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

But either way im a first class swimmer according USMC standards just in case I decide to bail haha

Watch this video:

Kalph

• Rockfish
Good video. Some great info for sure.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Cabelas PFD for me cheap enough but don't go cheap on a paddle get a Werner. Sea tug on the cart and Cosmo inspired my PVC anchor real.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 10:57:15 PM by Mojo Jojo »

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
IMHO don't buy and install an anchor trolley. I have trolley's on 2 yaks and I never use them anymore. I tie a line to the bow and one to the stern. These can be locked into a cam cleat for a quick release. On my Hobies I use the existing rudder line cleat. To reverse direction for stern anchoring, I put a pad eye in front of the rudder cleat which I can also use to attach a rod leash when I am trolling. Then, the line that attaches to your spool and float slides onto that line with a carabiner or brass ring. When you need to get off anchor quickly, you just pull the rope out of the cleat and throw it overboard. You then easily float away from your anchor line. What is nice is that this always ensures you are anchored directly off your bow or stern which means you stay in line with the current reducing drag and the needed anchor size. With the side mounted trolley, you swing out at an angle from the anchor and creates more drag thus sometimes causing the anchor to move. Look at this article http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?page=26
here is a quick video of how to do it . It only shows the stearn line, which on that yak (I no longer have it) I would hook to the rear bungee.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Ignore Mojo Jojo.  He means well, but like me, he lives on the coast and the clean, salty air we get to breathe juices us up and interferes with our thinking.   ;D

I started with a cheap, $29 Carlisle paddle I bought on Amazon and while it sits in the garage, unloved and dusty, it is still the fastest paddle I've owned.  She's heavy and she'll give you blisters until your palms toughen-up, but she is fast.

I don't anchor, either, but a well-regarded DIY set up is posted here: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?page=26

One thing I overlooked when getting started was getting my feet wet when launching and landing.  Spending the day in a kayak with soaked feet isn't the best way to spend a day, so think about that, too.  If you don't at least own waders to tide you over, stout trash bags can make for a much more pleasant day until you decide how to deal with keeping your feet dry - and happy.

Everything you add to a kayak hull is optional.  No need to rush.  Fish from it for a while and the things that are really handy become obvious.

From a former rescue swimmer: it's easy and dangerous to over-estimate your abilities.  Cold water shuts you down right fast.

Have fun, and thank you for your service.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 05:44:15 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Kalph

• Rockfish
Some good infom ill be checking these videos and links out through out the day.

Do any of you guys use the milk crate or live well ideas? I normally just use a stringer. So i may or may not get one. Not sure yet. I dont use live bait. So it will be mostly for fish caught. But i have the stringer too. Any ideas? Or suggestions?

anything