Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:02:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Couple questions for you guys  (Read 7600 times)

Kalph

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
For your cooler, you might consider the insulated Costco shopping bag.  It is plastic lined, zippered top and bargain priced at $6. I have been using them for my last several fishing trips. I throw a frozen quart water bottle in the bottom and even on sunny days the ice is only partially thawed and the fish nice and cold.
Good idea. I got 5 kids so we go through juice bottles and water bottles like crazy. I got tons laying around.

Kalph

• Rockfish
Got everything i need except for pfd and achor system. At least i can get on the water. Got some cheap stuff for now. Will upgrade as needed when im able.

Still trying to figure out how to use the kayak kart with my particular kayak.

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I'll be in town in a couple of weeks and I have an extra PFD you can have if it fits.  It's a large and much to big for me.

What cart did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Got everything i need except for pfd and achor system. At least i can get on the water. Got some cheap stuff for now. Will upgrade as needed when im able.

If you don't have your PFD, YOU AREN'T READY TO GET ON THE WATER.  Be patient.  Please.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

You got a kayak cart before a PFD?  Can you exchange it?  PFD stands for "prevents fucking death" so it's kinda important.

Stay safe.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/state/man-23-drowns-while-kayaking-in-state-park-with-no-life-jacket-3396f8c7-8273-67c2-e053-0100007f7cae-380666641.html

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015

If you don't have your PFD, YOU AREN'T READY TO GET ON THE WATER.  Be patient.  Please.

+100

Kalph

• Rockfish
I know haha. Im not going in without one. The guy that sold me it said hed let me borrow one until i can buy one. Im not going in without one. Thats why i saod everythinf except my pfd.

Guess i should be more clear
Gonna pick one up tomorrow i think, since its payday.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 08:41:58 AM by Kalph »

Kalph

• Rockfish
I'll be in town in a couple of weeks and I have an extra PFD you can have if it fits.  It's a large and much to big for me.

What cart did you get?

Just got a cheapy one off ebay. I dont even think it has a damn brand.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Hi, I live in CDA, close to St Vincent Depaul on Government way. Ive done a lot of youtube watching and make a lot of my gear using pvc pipe etc. If you want to meet up sometime I can show you some of the things I have learned. They may work for you or not but glad to share with you. I have a Malibu Stealth 12 and know how heavy that was for me to load on car roof. I have some tips for that if it would help. Its prob easier to show stuff than to type it.
Let me know if you need help.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
another view
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

IdahoSkies

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Brit, how do you load your stealth car top?  Mine has always been a bear and I have settled for throwing it in the back of my pickup but I'd love to save the gas mileage on longer trips.  What's your car top set up?  (And nice stealth  ;D)

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Hi Skies,
Thanks. It is a great kayak. I may be selling it if anybody is interested. Having some elbow and shoulder pain. Hence my new Hobie Outback.

I mainly use my truck but it was off the road for 2 months. During which time I used my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I am 70 and managed to load it single handed with some fairly simple preparation. Here is a link to give you the basic idea. I found this to be the best way. I was guilty of over thinking it but this is simple and effective. I added one other thing that I discovered on another youtube. I had a length of rope attached at one end to the tow bar or bumper. The other end to the far end of the kayak. You have to adjust the length to suit your yak. Then when you lift the front of the yak to place it on the roof it stops the yak from sliding out on you. I used two rubber backed door mats. One to protect your car, the other  under the end of the yak to protect the plastic at the other end. I got the mats at the thrift store on their 50% of day. So very cheap. Check this link for a visual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GrLiLInZEM

The following link shows the rope idea.
Once I found the right length rope to use I put karabiners on each end to make attaching it easier.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 11:58:16 PM by Idaho Brit »

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Hi Skies,
Thanks. It is a great kayak. I may be selling it if anybody is interested. Having some elbow and shoulder pain. Hence my new Hobie Outback.

I mainly use my truck but it was off the road for 2 months. During which time I used my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder. I am 70 and managed to load it single handed with some fairly simple preparation. Here is a link to give you the basic idea. I found this to be the best way. I was guilty of over thinking it but this is simple and effective. I added one other thing that I discovered on another youtube. I had a length of rope attached at one end to the tow bar or bumper. The other end to the far end of the kayak. You have to adjust the length to suit your yak. Then when you lift the front of the yak to place it on the roof it stops the yak from sliding out on you. I used two rubber backed door mats. One to protect your car, the other  under the end of the yak to protect the plastic at the other end. I got the mats at the thrift store on their 50% of day. So very cheap. Check this link for a visual.

<snip>

The following link shows the rope idea.
Once I found the right length rope to use I put karabiners on each end to make attaching it easier.

<snip>

If you choose to go this route as I did with the Big Tuna, take care where you park your truck.   It can be nose down (my preference) or nose up but in no way can it be parked across the fall line of a hill.   That may limit your options at some beaches or ramps.

If the truck is parked across the hill (tilted left or right) the boat will be hard to keep on top of the truck while you lift.   More than likely it'll slip on the mat and fall off the side of the truck!   Been there, done that.  Fortunately the Big Tuna is one tough boat.  Since I have a ski box on my roof next to the boat I sometimes use that to catch the bow if I have no other choice but to park across a hill.

Oh, and there are hills I could swear are not really hills.  Dang boat just wants to fall off...

Another hint if you have a particularly tall or long truck is to carry a two foot step ladder.   I set it behind the truck to help with the final lift and when starting to move the boat rearward when bringing it down.  It's also useful when tying the straps to the bars.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That guy in the "rope" video is like 7 ft tall and all muscle - maybe he'd be my kayak valet and solo load my kayak for me!!

Good idea with the guide rope - I do that... And park in a level spot when I can.