Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:42:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Outback vs. Revolution 13  (Read 10429 times)

Soda Fish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
I'm in the market to buy a new kayak this summer. I love the Hobie brand and plan to buy either the Outback or the Revo 13. I fish mainly in the sound and some in the open waters. I love the stability of the Outback but hate the drag. The Revo 13 is very appealing so I would love to hear from those that have spent time in both. Appreciate your thoughts!

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have both a revo and outback.  For shorter trips, like within a mile or two to the fishing area, I love all the deck space on the outback.  If I am needing to cover some serious distance or working against current I will take the revo.

Overall I would still choose outback first.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Soda Fish

• Krill
Perfect! I appreciate your thoughts.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I have both a revo and outback.  For shorter trips, like within a mile or two to the fishing area, I love all the deck space on the outback.  If I am needing to cover some serious distance or working against current I will take the revo.

Just curious if you have the turbo fins on the outback?

My outback with turbo fins can outrun a buddies revo without.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
It's hard to go wrong with either. I prefer a Revo as I like to be able to cover distance quickly and it's a lot easier to car top.

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

Is your buddy fat and out of shape? Are you talking in a sprint or like a mile or more? I've yet to see an outback run away from a Revo with similar operators. A couple of buddies have both and for long distances or heavy current they leave the outbacks at home. It is not a huge different but there is certainly a difference in the efficiency of the two boats.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I am fat and out of shape for sure. I don't know if it was effort, or turbo fins and GT drive versus non turbo fins original style drive? Not really sure... It's not like it's much faster but it was a bit faster when we tried. Light to no current. Racing back to the ramp.

He could've been putting in less effort for all I know.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:35:01 PM by iairj84 »
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Soda Fish

• Krill
Where is the best place to purchase? I'm thinking either in Seattle or Portland.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have a set of turbo and a set of st.  When my wife and I are both out, I use the turbo fins on the outback and she has the st on the revo.  It seems to get the cruising speed more similiar.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

smokeyangler

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2014
I've fished out of the Revo and the Outback.

The Revo 13 is fast on the water and feels sporty.  It is easier to handle out of the water.  The stability you definitely have to pay attention to.  The cockpit is a bit crowded for a bigger person.

The Outback is roomy and stable.  It's really comfortable to fish out of.  It's a little slower, but not by much.  Out of the water it's more awkward to handle.  I'm a big guy and went from a Revo 13 back to an Outback.  It is the better choice for me.
2014 Hobie PA 14
2015 Hobie Outback

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I'm a small guy (5'6 140#) and have a Revo 13.  The cockpit is crowded even for me and not much deck space.  For ocean fishing and trolling I like it, but I am considering an outback for fresh water for the added stability and the possibility of standing in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

demonick

• Sturgeon
  • Domenick Venezia, Author
  • Date Registered: Apr 2009
I am not large, 5'8", 150# and have had a Revo 13 with turbo fins and a sailing rudder for about 8 years. Fishing solo almost exclusively in Puget Sound. LOVE IT. I don't find it cramped at all. I can get a fish bag, fish finder/GPS, rod holder, downrigger and mount,  and two collapsible crab traps on the thing at the same time.

Never flipped, though I have fallen out once, on fresh water, when my lure hooked a dock. :) I find the Revo 13 very stable, and routinely haul up full crab traps from a 100 feet.

I commonly do 5-10nm per 6 hour fishing trip. Can't imagine doing that in something more tubby. I can cruise at 3 kts indefinitely, make 4 kts for a few minutes, and hit 5 kts in a short maxxed-out sprint--like fleeing from angry sea lions.
demonick
Author, Linc Malloy Legacies -- Action/Adventure/Thrillers
2021 Chanticleer Finalist - Global Thriller Series & High Stakes Fiction
Rip City Legacy, Book 6 latest release!
DomenickVenezia.com

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
But you can get this on an outback

I have both and a AI, I love them all. I have taken both the outback and revo 13 in the ocean. I can feel the swells more in the outback, but there is so much more space, it doesn't turn as fast. The Revo will dump you with the sailing rudder if you don't lean into the turn.
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
Where is the best place to purchase? I'm thinking either in Seattle or Portland.

Next Adventure in Portland has supported this site a lot, and if I was heading to OR anyway when I was wanting to buy a kayak I'd probably go there.  Another good shop that also supports this site is Kayak Shed in Hood River, OR.  Another advantage to either of those shops over Seattle is you won't get charged sales tax in OR.  You're supposed to declare that purchase and pay the sales tax anyway, strictly speaking.

With the way Hobie controls pricing on their kayaks you won't get a better price in either city.  Some dealers try to make up for being forced to charge full retail by offering smoking deals on extras.  But for just the kayak you won't save anything by shopping around.  Only exception to that might be if one shop has a demo boat they're selling, or if they happen to have a blem in stock.
2012 ORC 5th Place

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I own a Revo 13.  There's not a lot of usable rail space on a Revo for installing mounts.  It's worth noting if you plan to add rod holders and fish finders and anything else.

Next Adventure in Portland has supported this site a lot.  Another good shop that also supports this site is Kayak Shed in Hood River, OR.

+1 on both shops
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 10:17:31 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...