Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:23:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Hobie Outback vs. Revolution 13  (Read 10349 times)

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
The Revo will dump you with the sailing rudder if you don't lean into the turn.
The Outback has come close to dumping me with the sailing rudder, too, when moving over 4mph.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I own a Revo 13.  There's not a lot of usable rail space on a Revo for installing mounts.  It's worth noting if you plan to add rod holders and fish finders and anything else.

Next Adventure in Portland has supported this site a lot.  Another good shop that also supports this site is Kayak Shed in Hood River, OR.

+1 on both shops

I mounted the rod holder base in the side pocket.
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Martin

• Lingcod
  • AOTY: DAngler
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
The Outback has come close to dumping me with the sailing rudder, too, when moving over 4mph.

Really?  I've been using an Outback for four years now, and battled some rough water(over 7ft swells) and have yet to feel like I'm falling out of it.  Love the stability, and hasn't let me down yet.
2016 - Hobie Outback Limited Edition #189
2012 - Hobie Outback

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I had my Outback up to 6mph and kicked the rudder over. It didn't approach dumping, but it did bank into the turn, and if you aren't ready for it you could over/under react.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
This is a battle between "Good" and "Good-er". You'll need to figure out which one you like best. In the end you'll be happy with either.

Having one or two of each is where this scenario really plays out, plus a small river paddle yak, plus a touring paddler, plus a Tandem Island, plus...
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014

Really?  I've been using an Outback for four years now, and battled some rough water(over 7ft swells) and have yet to feel like I'm falling out of it.  Love the stability, and hasn't let me down yet.
Took me a while to learn the sailing rudder catches like a brake at a certain point.  This becomes handy when trying to stop the boat quickly.  Beyond that point, the rear of the boat just kicks out.  The quick tracking was a surprise.  Centripetal force takes over since the boat doesn't bank and the occupant wants to keep going straight!

Once accustomed to this there's no problem, but moving from a lumbering tandem paddle kayak with a rudder one day to a much faster Outback with a sailing rudder the next day was "noticeable."   I now trust the boat better.

The Outback's no where near as severe, but the effect brought back a long lost recollection of the flat-turns I needed to pull to catch the outside chine racing a Sea Doo.  It's 5mph versus 30-60mph -- on the Sea Doo the technique was you hang your tail off the outside of turn, stay hard on the throttle and grip the bars for life.  Else you and your butt (the head wearing a full motocross helmet and goggles) go scooting across the water like a flat rock.  Tons o' Fun!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

The Revo's limited mounting space within arm's reach when compared to that on an Outback is something to be aware of.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

The Revo's limited mounting space within arm's reach when compared to that on an Outback is something to be aware of.

I haven't had any issues mounting RAM mounts within arms reach on my Revo.  You just have to be creative and think out side of the box. 

Here is the one on my left side.
Fully reinforced on the inside.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Soda Fish

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
What about the new seat? I realize it has to be way more comfortable but what about the higher center of gravity?

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
What about the new seat? I realize it has to be way more comfortable but what about the higher center of gravity?
Matt Miller and other guys at Hobie insist that the 2015 and later Revolutions and Outbacks with the new seat in the low position put your butt at the same height as the pre-2015 kayaks with the old seats.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
If you are going to go long distances to fish or fight currents like salmon fishing the Columbia, get a Revo. You will thank me for this advice if you end up having to paddle any distance. If you are going to fish lakes and drift reefs then either will do, but the Outback makes gear more accessible.

I have both. The Revo is my salmon/halibut yak and the Outback is my sturgeon, near shore fishing yak (Depoe Bay/Pacific City). If I could only have one, it would be the Revo. Much faster, very little difference in stability, and if it comes to a time when shit goes bad with your mirage drive, paddling a Revo is almost enjoyable. Paddling an Outback sucks.

If you are fighting a big fish in the Revo and you want extra stability, it is easy to drop your legs over each side. Your center of gravity just dropped significantly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 09:24:56 PM by craig »

Helium Head

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I'm 6'2" 200 lb. have a Revo 13 with turbo fins, sail rudder, fish finder and rod holder. I love it and don't find it cramped. Am looking for a second used Revo for taking my brother out when he comes to town so was just contemplating Revo or Outback.  I have never been on Outback so this was helpful. Ok, not really cause now I'm thinking the second one might be Outback.
Hobie Revolution 13 olive
Hobie Revolution 13 yellow

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
If you already have a Revo, then the Outback is a good choice. It is a great crabbing platform which is why I use it when I hit the reefs at PC for bottom fish. The Outback is also an awesome duck hunting platform.

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

If you are fighting a big fish in the Revo and you want extra stability, it is easy to drop your legs over each side. Your center of gravity just dropped significantly.

Do that trick with the landlord or one of the larger furbags chasing your fish and you may never play the violin again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

anything